PLEASE HELP: Don't have an upgrade yet for my Verizon plan, If i just purchase an....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by THEHOLYGHOST, Mar 7, 2015.

1. THEHOLYGHOST macrumors newbie

I have an existing 2 year verizon wireless plan, really want an iphone 6 and dont mind paying the 650. If i purchase an unlocked iphone 6 from apple online can i just transfer the sim card from my current phone (iphone 5s) to the unlocked iphone 6 and itll work? Please help i dont know anything about how sim cards or how this stuff works

Thank you!

2. I7guy macrumors G5

The answer is yes.

But if the account isn't in your name, you should verify with the account holder before you go through with the transaction.

3. THEHOLYGHOST thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you, appreciate the reply

4. I7guy macrumors G5

I do not think you can purchase an unlocked Verizon phone online on the apple website. You must go to the apple store. I'm not sure about the Verizon website either. Either way to make sure you get the right phone, go to the apple store and purchase a Verizon device-only phone.

5. THEHOLYGHOST thread starter macrumors newbie

i was on the apple store online, when you click the unlocked iphone 6 option, it says this device is available to use with an ATT&T, T MOBILE, VERIZON, ETC Sim Card...

6. I7guy macrumors G5

You can only choose T-Mobile or sim free on the apple website. You do not want either option.

You want to purchase a Verizon device-only model. You can only do that in person at the apple store.

7. 8rlee8 macrumors regular

The SIM-Free model will work just fine on Verizon if OP is just switching the activated SIM over.

8. I7guy macrumors G5

meaning the account holder has to call verizon, I don't know if the sim free version is capable of using Verizon's network; can you verify?

9. 8rlee8 macrumors regular

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425746228.185144.jpg

Screen shot if from apples site after I go to purchase page for iPhone and above the SIM-Free choice there is a link to learn more about the unlocked iPhone. The second sentence in the first paragraph states that it can be activated on ATT, T-Mobile, Verizon and Sprint.

The SIM-Free iPhone is the only iPhone that has all the bands and frequencies that the big four carriers use in the US. It can also be activated abroad too.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

While putting an existing Verizon SIM into a SIM-free (or even an unlocked T-Mobile or AT&T) version should get it working, you'd likely be better off simoly purchasing a Verizon model (which would be unlocked already anyway.

11. chrfr macrumors 603

The SIM-free model will both work, and activate on, Verizon without an issue.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

They are mostly the same model really, so Verizon's or even AT&T's or T-Mobile's models have the same hardware.

13. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

Yes, just make sure you pick the SIM-Free version if you want to purchase one from Apple.com. That way you'll transfer your existing SIM to it and you'll be good to go. People do this all the time especially if they have an unlimited plan and don't want to lose it.

14. 8rlee8, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015

8rlee8 macrumors regular

PLEASE HELP: Don't have an upgrade yet for my Verizon plan, If i just purchas...

Sure they're basically the same model, but the sim free model has more bands and frequencies for use over seas.

15. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

No, you can do it online. That's how I did it. You pick it, put in your information. When it sees you don't have an upgrade available, it will let you pay full price.

The only thing that doesn't work is if you do have an upgrade available but don't want to use it, it won't let you choose the Verizon model on Apple.com.

16. I7guy macrumors G5

Seems to be the op has to do their homework. As was suggested..)