Please help find this song!

ForrestGump

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
Last night I was at the school dance and wasn't paying much attention to the music until the end of this one song song.

The end was very long and went on for like 3-4 minutes...and the whole thing was only 3 notes played over and over. The 3 notes went up the scale (timed about a half sec apart) then the same notes were played down the scale. Oh, and the notes were bass notes and sounded wicked on the DJ's system.

So, I know there aren't many songs with an ending like that. I have been trying to find the name without luck. Please help if you can.

Thanks! :p

iDM

macrumors 6502a
ForrestGump said:
Last night I was at the school dance and wasn't paying much attention to the music until the end of this one song song.

The end was very long and went on for like 3-4 minutes...and the whole thing was only 3 notes played over and over. The 3 notes went up the scale (timed about a half sec apart) then the same notes were played down the scale. Oh, and the notes were bass notes and sounded wicked on the DJ's system.

So, I know there aren't many songs with an ending like that. I have been trying to find the name without luck. Please help if you can.

Thanks! :p
I'd love to hear someone even have the slightest clue as to this song. I could not even venture a guess that would be even within the same genre probably. This kinda thing happens to me all the time when trying to figure out a song, good luck!

ForrestGump

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
Oh yeah, i forgot to mention the genera...It is either rock/rap/hip-hop because thats all the DJ played.

Thanks again!

Duff-Man

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....yeah, that is not a lot to go on. I'd suggest you go the organizers of the dance and get the contact info for the DJ they hired and ask him.....oh yeah!

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
Ask someone else who was at the party?

or fire up GarageBand and sing a few bars of it and post it on here...

while we WILL make fun of your singing, we'll probably also be able to ID it for you. :p

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
my partner and i play this game all the time.

it's called "read my mind and tell me what actress/movie/song i'm thinking of"

loads of fun...

ForrestGump

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
Ok, I attached a garageband file of the 3 notes at the end of the song and how they are played. Those 3 notes kept repeating for about 3 - 4 minutes.

I wish I had payed attention to the lyrics in the first part of the song...the ending part that got my attention has no lyrics, just the 3 notes.

I should mention that it sounded kinda techno like. Kinda like something Moby or Gorillaz would do.

Please please please...someone help Ol Forrest Gump find his box of chocolates...er...I mean song! ;)

Thanks

Attachments

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
How about this song by Daft Punk Emotion

Edit: or this one by Massive Attack Teardrop

Edit #2: Other than that, I would suggest browsing the iTunes top 100 list for the genere/s that fit best. :D

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
thedude110 said:
Sounds like a techno remix of the NBC chime to me ...
That's no scale, it's G-E-C (for General Electric Company). And it really irks me that MSNBC play it in the wrong key!

Or Lou Reed? Do, d-do, d-do, do d-do do, d-do, d-do, d-do, do d-do doooo.

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
iMeowbot said:
That's no scale, it's G-E-C (for General Electric Company). And it really irks me that MSNBC play it in the wrong key!

it's a Major sixth!

and WOOAOH! That's pretty cool! I didn't know that!

ForrestGump

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
yenko said:
I just played it and now.....I can't get the damn thing out of my head! :p
Tell me about it :)

It was the coolest beat..the music was loud and fast, then this...kind of a quiet techno beat with 3 notes up and 3 notes down. It almost felt like the dance floor was in slow motion for 3 minutes! wicked!

The worst part is...nobody knows what Im talking about :(
I know it has to be a newer song..all the songs were newer.

If nobody comes up with it, Ill try calling the DJ on Monday.

ForrestGump

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
Mac_Freak said:
How about this song by Daft Punk Emotion

Edit: or this one by Massive Attack Teardrop

Edit #2: Other than that, I would suggest browsing the iTunes top 100 list for the genere/s that fit best. :D
No, but thanks for looking
:)

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
I can't help you, but good luck in finding it.

I know how frustrating it can be. I've been looking for a song I once heard years ago. It's pretty annoying when the only thing I can remember about it was that "some portugese guy sent it to me, and the artists were greek. maybe. uh, and it was some kind of techno, i think." :rolleyes:

Whyren

macrumors 6502a
Ugh, the worst part is is it sounds familiar...well, I'm gonna be looking for it as it's lodged in my mind now.

And actually, the GB file is a I-V-I movement (or skip of a fifth, then skip of a fourth), at least in the key of C. Sorry...too much music theory homework for me tonight...

First thing that comes to mind is the album Maroons:Ambush by Lateef & The Chief (esp. tracks 3 and 4). Or else Still D.R.E. by Dr. Dre, or Travellin' Man by DJ Honda, Callin' Out by Lyrics Born, or Saturday Night by Ozomatli...perhaps something by Zero 7, any of these close?