Please help, how do I switch between iPhone 5 and iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Myiphone7, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

I want to activate my iPhone 5 and transfer all my songs, notes, contacts, etc but if I want to take my iPhone 4 to work one day instead of my 5, how can I do this?

Do I just switch sim cards and thats all?

2. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

You can't switch sim cards. They're different types. If you want to use an iPhone you'll have to choose which one --- or pay for two phone plans.

As far as activating your new iPhone, use iTunes to make a backup of your iPhone 4 and then turn on the new iPhone, go thru the setup steps as instructed by the iPhone and connect to iTunes when instructed. If you want to transfer all of the iPhone 4 goodies to the new iPhone you'll have to Restore from backup instead of Set up as New. Your provider will associate your phone number & turn off the phone service to your old iPhone when it turns the service on to your new iPhone. You might need to restore more than once in order to choose the most recent backup to use.

Lots of threads about this process. Also this page at Apple Support is helpful.

3. PaulNY macrumors member

they sell nano sim to microsim adapters online (check amazon/ebay), this should do the trick. I plan on picking one up as well.

When I had my iPhone 4 and my 3GS I bought a sim adapter (in this case, microsim to minisim) and was able to switch between the phones at will..

hxxp://www.amazon.com/Micro-Standard-Adapter-Apple-iPhone/dp/B009AB557I/ref=pd_cp_cps_0

4. nostresshere macrumors 68030

You do not need two phone plans, assuming you only want one phone active at a time.

You can put a razr, a flip phone, an I-3, I4 or I5 on that line anytime you want. With the changes in SIMS etc, it may not be as easy as switching them out.

Personally, I would think you are looking for some real heahaches with recent calls, texts, emails, etc by doing this on a regular basis.