Please help. I am not really sure who I can contact within Apple? (merged)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thatmacguybv, Feb 8, 2012.

1. thatmacguybv, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2012

thatmacguybv macrumors member

I just signed up for this forum, so please forgive me and my noobness lol. I have a MacBook Pro and I've had a rather lengthy issue with Apple and the Executive Relations team.

About a month ago, my computer would stop charging intermittently. This was after about 2 or 3 power cable replacements. My Executive Relations advisor set up a repair at the Memphis Depot (I am located in Orlando just to give you a perspective on distance). I sent it out Friday, and had it back Tuesday. Not that bad if you ask me. They replaced the Logic Board, MagSafe connector, and battery but after a few hours, it stopped charging again.

I contacted my advisor and he asked if it was working at the moment, told him yes but it was not working about 20 minutes ago. He told me since it was working fine, there was nothing to worry about and to contact him if it happened again. Long story short, after two weeks of having me do diagnostics and testing, I got fed up with his attitude and his constant insinuation that I was lying.

I managed to get a new Executive Relations advisor to "own" my case. He wanted me to send it in again. I told him that it was the only machine my mother and I owned and she used it to meet her quota of applications for unemployment. He convinced me to take the city bus to the nearest store and said they would repair and ship it back.

So last Wednesday, I took it to the store. I was told I would get it Saturday and to make sure someone was home, to sign for it. Saturday came and I didn't get my computer. Contacted FedEx only to find it was being shipped on Monday and would not require a signature. I wasn't thrilled with the possibility of having my computer left on my door step so I made sure I was home. It took 3 more business days to get the computer back from a store that was 20 minutes away than it did when it was 800 miles away.

I plugged the computer in after getting it and now the backlight on the keyboard won't work. Talked to my advisor and he had a tech run through diagnostics over the phone. My advisor told me to go back to the store because the person who did the previous repair wanted to look at it. He said he would be able to fix it while I wait, so I would not have to take another trip out since I don't have a car.

The tech looked and decided that I needed a new Logic board again and wanted me to leave it for a couple more days. I told my advisor that I could not afford anymore downtime and that I either needed a replacement or at the very least, a loaner computer so that my mother and I have a machine to use, while ours was in repair. He declined both and at one point pretty much chuckled at the situation.

I can't go above his head because of his position. What do I do from here? I can't afford to not have the computer, especially for a keyboard backlight. Is there any way of going above his head? It's unfair for me to have to waste more time without a machine, because someone messed up on the repair.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Talk to the store manager at the Apple Store that did your last repair.

Bring the repair forms that show an excess amount of repair. Ask for a replacement computer.

Good luck.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It does sound as if you should have a replacement, but they could say "well we offered to repair it but the customer refused to leave it with us" If they want it back, and need to hold on to it to verify the replacement, then let them.

If you keep taking it away when they want you to leave it, you could be giving them a way out...I know it sucks being without it, but you kind of have to play the game their way.

Hope it works out for you.

4. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Apple should, per its own internal guidelines, offer you a replacement at this point.

When they tell you what they want you to do, say, "I'm sorry, but that won't be possible at this point because of x, y, and z (all the repairs you've attempted, stories about needing the computer for work, etc). At this point this computer needs to be replaced, which is one of the options Apple confers per its warranty at its discretion. At this point, I have made a full-faith effort to allow Apple to exhaust its options in repairing the machine. Apple's other options per the warranty are at this point to replace or refund the cost of the machine."

If they repeat that they can't replace it, just keep saying, "I hear you, but unfortunately that's not possible and repeat what you said before." Be prepared to be calm and unnervingly repetitive. You have nowhere to go.

Never be the one to end the call! You have to be committed to staying on the phone indefinitely as if you have no other obligations. If you keep repeating that their options are not acceptable to you or possible, and even if it just goes in a circle, keep the circle going. At some point you say if you aren't able to offer these options available per the warranty, you could have me speak with someone authorized to make that decision.

Your greatest asset on the phone is time. They will not hang up on you if you keep explaining your case. And you'll run them down.

I don't say this as a way to game the system, but as a way to get them to do what they should have already done and usually do by this point.

You can also e-mail tcook@apple.com

5. thatmacguybv thread starter macrumors member

How many times does their warranty say they need to service it before they are obligated to replace it?

----------

Is that in the warranty?

6. thatmacguybv, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012

thatmacguybv thread starter macrumors member

Trying to get my MacBook Pro replaced.

I posted about my situation previously. I am just trying to figure out what I need to do to get my MacBook Pro replaced, without having to speak to the same Executive Relations advisor. Whenever I email Tim Cook, it's automatically forwarded to my advisor and if I call in, the reps say they are not allowed to talk to me since it's owned by executive relations. How do I get around this and how many times does my computer need to be repaired before they have to replace it? They've repaired it 2 times and after the second repair, the computer came back with issues it did not have prior.

7. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I agree with this advice. Be courteous, matter of fact, and firm.

My experience with Apple customer service / AppleCare has been superb.

The manager is the decision maker, that has the greatest degree of concern for the stores customers.

8. thatmacguybv thread starter macrumors member

Can the store manager overrule choices made by the executive office?

9. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

No. The warranty says that at Apple's discretion they will repair, replace, or refund your machine when problems arise.

However, they do have internal guidelines they use that indicate to them when each of those options should be used. Usually, it's three repairs and with more problems after that they offer a replacement. However, I have noticed that often with less than 3 repairs and a request from the customer for a replacement, they will go for the replacement.

I didn't count the number of repairs you've officially had done, but it just seemed to me to be a case worthy of a replacement. I've gotten a Mac replaced with far less work having been done to it first.

Apple does have "discretion" about which of the three Rs to use, but I would point out you have given them a really fair shot at using the repair option. Your machine would under some jurisdictions be considered a lemon. I don't think there are in modern times or in the US any strict laws about that, but I think Apple (at least in the past) has honored the lemon principle, and after a number of attempted repairs usually offers to replace, so it's odd that they not only haven't offered but have refused your request.

Just keep at them. Good luck.

10. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

In my case I purposely went into the store during daytime business hours, in case a phone call to their superiors was required.

While very courteous the manager did excuse himself, after hearing my story, and went into the back of the store. Approximately 20 minutes later he emerged with a new MBP in a sealed box.

Perhaps he made a call, I didn't ask, since the result was exactly what I'd hoped for. Within minutes the exchange was made & the new computer was fault free.

11. thatmacguybv thread starter macrumors member

I see. Was your case being overseen by Execute Relations? Did they give you the same model or was it the latest?

12. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

In my situation it was a long term issue being overseen by customer relations. By the time they decided to replace it newer models had been released. Mine was a 15" MBP, which were backordered. The manager then offered a 17". Because it was for both work & personal, as well as not being able to wait, I accepted the 17".

Ironically I quickly grew to like it more than the 15" due to it's larger hi-res display. At just one pound heavier, it was very easy to carry daily. Being 6'3" with large hands its a perfect fit for me.

13. thatmacguybv thread starter macrumors member

I called all three Apple Stores in my area and spoke to all of the managers. None of them were able to help me. It's ridiculous, I know that emailing Tim goes to one of his staff members but according to my advisor, every email I send is forwarded directly to him. I called the customer care and they can't talk to me at all because the case is owned by the executive office.

14. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Since you've only had two repairs done, it's likely you'll have to let them have one more crack at it. You can always ask the guy you've been contacting for his manager's information (everyone at Apple has a manager, even if you end up talking to Senior VP or Tim Cook himself). He cannot reasonably refuse to provide that information, but there's no guarantee it'll help. I'd give them one last chance before doing that, however, as the person you've been talking to would obviously know that you were trying to go over his head if you did that.

jW

15. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Call and talk to your advisor and request to speak to his/ her supervisor or someone that can authorize the exchange or negotiate the correct repair of your computer. Be firm but personable, polite, courteous, and cordial and explain that you have with good faith followed all of their suggested and prescribed terms of pervious repair arrangements and at great sacrifice and distress to your family, yet only to get the system back with the same errors present and newer errors arising. Negotiate based upon the time to get the system back from the local shop and the extra time it took above the quoted time for repair and that the repair was done subpar therefor the confidence level in the current facility is very low. Use perseverance and all of the documented issues you have had with the machine. Those documented issues will play the best to your hand. Be willing to accept a refurbished model and offer that as an option. If the advisor sees that you are not just trying to get a new machine, but rather a functioning machine they can be much more forgiving.

Good luck with the endeavor.

16. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Looking back, I should mention that I brought in my computer and very comprehensive folder containing all details regarding my case. I had documented the date, time, and name of each & every person I spoke to during the ordeal.

With one short review of my file, the manager was convinced that the problems with my computer were indeed quite serious. I should also note it had been in four times before I made my specific request for a new replacement.

Between the lengthy periods of down time and my consistently pleasant and patient demeanor, I'm convinced they were motivated to work with me in resolving the case to my satisfaction. I've found that patience, perseverance, and connecting with a decision maker is the key to success.

17. thatmacguybv thread starter macrumors member

I appreciate the advice, but it didn't work I got really desperate and emailed Steve Wozniak.. He actually replied! Great guy, told me he didn't have anyone he could really speak to but offered to go down to the San Jose store with me. To bad I live in Florida :(

18. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I love the Woz. Guy is a saint.
    P.S. Check your PM.

19. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

Wow, that's pretty cool! He does seem like a really cool guy.

20. thatmacguybv thread starter macrumors member

He is. Sucks that he can't really help though. And to top it all off, the light on my magsafe charger is screwing up again.

21. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Escalate it within the channel you're working with.

Sending emails to people that don't have anything to do with it makes you look like a nutjob. Or you are, and we're only getting one side of the story.

22. thatmacguybv thread starter macrumors member

I've escalated it as far as it could be escalated... If you read some of the previous posts, I cannot even get through to anyone else because of the executive relations "team".

23. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

You need to just be very, very firm. I'm not talking about madly waving your arms and shouting, just politely explain in-store your problem, and if that isn't working, keep repeating everything over and over again.

This kinda thing happened to me a while back with a PowerBook G4. Apple weren't very big back then, so my computer had to be sent to Ireland (from England) to be fixed. Basically, it wasn't fixed after the 'repair' so I spoke to someone for literally two hours and they gave in and offered to give me a loner computer as I needed it at the time.

Long story short, I kept the loaner for about a month after my computer had gone from here to Ireland about 4 times. Eventually they just gave me a new one. Perseverance is the key. Don't take no for an answer, but don't make yourself look like a douche while you're at it.

24. thatmacguybv thread starter macrumors member

I spoke to the store manager to every Apple Store location near me. A weird thing happened yesterday though. I got call from a woman who claimed to work for Apple and said that she understood that I was trying to get in contact with her (I don't recall ever trying to contact her). She said she oversaw the 3 stores in my area. She also knew the names of all the advisors I worked with so I don't question her connection to Apple. However, she contacted me from her personal, mobile phone. That is extremely unusual (At least I would think so). Any ideas?

----------

She is the Market Leader

25. Polo2883 macrumors regular

Put in a BBB complaint and see where that goes. I usually get good responses once the BBB gets involved.