Please help! I spilled on my iphone, and at first it was fine but now it won't turn o

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by lizzyb, May 26, 2012.

1. lizzyb macrumors newbie

I had my iphone in the same backpack as some ice cream that I thought was sealed, but it leaked out and onto my phone.

As soon as I got home I dried it with paper towels and left it alone. It was still on. I was relieved because I thought it was fine. So I took some q-tips with a very little amount of isopropyl alcohol to clean off the sticky ice cream.

I read online that i should power off my phone first when I do this. so i tried to power it off, and at first the power button (upper right) wasn't working. I cleaned out a little bit of goop and tried to turn it off again, and it worked.

after cleaning it, I tried to turn it back on, and i got the glowing apple signal for a few seconds before it went black. I tried again, and it was on for a little longer than the first time before going black. and now it won't turn on at all! I've tried cleaning the power button a few more times with isopropyl alcohol but it's not working. I'm definitely panicking a little, i will be so bummed if my phone is dead because of this because i've taken really good care of it until now! Please please please help, is there a particular way i should prop it up? should i keep cleaning it with isopropyl or leave it alone? should i keep trying to turn it on?

any help VERY much appreciated, thank you!

2. lizzyb thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Surely Guest

Surely

It's very possible that you shorted it out by using it while the liquid ice cream was working its way through the iPhone. The sugars from the milk, as well as the liquid, don't play nice with fancy electronics.

The most common piece of advice you would have been given would be to power the iPhone off and to keep it off for 2-3 days. If you would have spilled water on it, people would have advised you to place it in a container with uncooked rice to draw the liquid out.

At this point, you could wait a couple of days to see if it works. Most likely, you'll have to suck it up, go to an Apple Store, and buy a replacement for $149.

Good luck!

4. lizzyb thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Surely,

I'm pretty sure you're right and i'm feeling like an absolute idiot now. maybe if i'd just left it alone for longer it would be fine.

is the $149 replacement only if i have applecare? i bought my phone at an apple store, but i don't think i paid the additional money for applecare.

5. Surely Guest

Surely

No, Applecare is not required for the $149 replacement.

Don't feel like an idiot......**** happens. :)

6. lizzyb thread starter macrumors newbie

wow! it's not? i can get a replacement for $149 even when the limited warranty specifically cites that it doesn't cover liquid damage?

if you're right i'll feel a little better, i was expecting to pay the cost of a brand new one if it's really dead.

i stuck it in a bowl of rice anyway and i'll say a few prayers for it tonight, hah.

and you're right, **** does happen

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes you can always have it replaced for the $150 fee any time and as many times as you want. As long as the phone is not destroyed in many pieces they will take it and exchange it.

8. lizzyb thread starter macrumors newbie