Please help me choose an external monitor. I am at my wits end.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jmFightSpam, May 3, 2008.

1. jmFightSpam macrumors regular

Hello,

OK. I am at my wits end. I just received my 3rd replacement monitor for an LG Flatron 22" LCD (model #: W2252TQ) because of it buzzing. The only time the buzzing completely stops is if the brightness is set to 100%, and that is completely unacceptable to me. Maybe I am just being over-reactive, but I don't think a monitor should be making any noises, even just a little bit. It is not horrible, but it is like a splinter that is just annoying. When I turn the monitor completely off, I notice that it just gets quieter in the room.

I have my external monitor connected to my MacBook Pro via a DVI-D cable (I am not using the DVI/VGA adapter).

Do all external monitors make a little bit of noise? Am I being paranoid? If you put your ear to your monitor, do you hear anything or is it quiet?

Could the video card in the MacBook Pro be causing the problems with my external monitor? Is that even possible? Could it be that my MacBook Pro cannot handle external monitors very well?

Anyway, I was hoping the people on this forum could recommend a quality LCD monitor, at least 22", maybe up to 24"-25", that you have used to connect directly to a MacBook Pro. One that is quiet and doesn't make any noise?

Thanks.

P.S. There isn't anyway LG is going to give me any of my money back, is there? They would just keep sending me replacement monitors until my warranty expires, right?

P.P.S. I have Apple Care for my MacBook Pro for another 2 years. If I bought an Apple Display (if that was recommended by any of you), would my current Apple Care cover it?

2. eyespii macrumors 6502

Could be the power supply in the monitor? or the outlets in your house?

try a different outlet next time and see if the problem goes away.

I've got an Acer P241W 24" that I picked up for around $300 a few months ago. TN panel, but it's got HDMI/HDCP, and at the time was a steal for $300. I've used DVI and also DVI --> VGA on the monitor, and I don't hear any buzzing. Could be that the fans on my MBP drown it out though :)

3. jmFightSpam thread starter macrumors regular

I thought about the outlets or interference (since my laptop and monitor are plugged into the same strip), but then you would think that would be a problem no matter the brightness.

I saw below online at the following link: http://www.xbitlabs.com/discussion/4408.html

I think that is probably the problem. It could be I am having a string of bad luck.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You will have to sue them in court for selling you a lemon, but it's not a guaranteed win, so it's not worth it.

No the AppleCare only covers a display you bought with the computer; not even a second afterwards; only on the same receipt as the computer.

------

As with a monitor, what's your budget? What resolutions do you want? I have 20-inch Dell 2007FPW which is a great monitor; it's a lottery though to get the S-IPS panel. Their 24-inch is good too, but you won't be able to get S-IPS. If you go for the 30-inch it's all S-IPS. Of course if you don't care about true color reproduction, then I guess it's all the same, but if you want the best, the Dell monitor is the way to go. Plus the warranty is like $50 for a 3 year advanced exchange; they send you a new monitor, you send back your old one; all very fast shipping (never used it on the monitor, but on computers and PDAs I have)

5. jmFightSpam thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies everybody.

I am considering a Dell, and also the HP W2207H 22" as well. Have you heard good/bad things about that one?

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have not seen the HP W2207H, but from what I can tell it doesn't have S-IPS panel which immediately takes it out of my book. I'm a sucker for IPS. Once you have it, you can't let go.

7. jmFightSpam thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe I will be the same way ;)

If I may ask one more favor (or maybe 2):

1. Can you point me to a list somewhere on the web that lists out what LCDs are IPS?
    2. Can you point me to a good primer on the differences between IPS, TN, etc.

I am very green in this area.

Thanks a lot.

8. jmFightSpam thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, and how did you tell that the HP was not IPS?

Thanks.

9. 4now macrumors regular