Please help me choose the specs of my rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cntwtfrmynwmbp, Feb 14, 2013.

1. cntwtfrmynwmbp macrumors member

Hi there!

I'm debatting whether to get the 2.4 GHz/8 GB, the 2.4 GHz/16GB or the 2.7 GHz/16 GB version.

Apart from daily usage as MS Office and surfing I'm planning on using it regularly for statistics with SPSS (large datasets) and photo editing with Lightroom/Aperture.

In what way (if at all) would I benefit from getting the higher end model?

Thanks for your suggestions.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Only get the higher speed CPU model if you plan on heavy CPU intensive tasks like video/audio/photo editing workflows and do them often. As for the RAM, I would get the least amount you can get from Apple, then check Newegg or Amazon for RAM at a much cheaper price. Apple grossly overcharges for RAM.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

CPU speeds aren't going to be that different, maybe 5% here or there, nothing you would see in daily use. But you will notice, 3 years from now, when you're short changed for RAM.

I'd go with the middle option, or even a low end option with 16gb of RAM built to order.

4. Veradun macrumors member

OP, the 2.7/16 model is the one I'm going for. I'll need the faster processor for photo editing and video rendering, and the 16GB RAM because it's soldered onto the logic board and you can't upgrade it after purchase. If photo editing apps like Lightroom/Aperture is the most intensive application you're going run, you can get away with the slower clock speed (2.4) and at a stretch, 8GB RAM. Depends how long you'll be using the laptop for before getting your next one. Your needs may not be the same as mine. Which brings me to my next point.

Only applies to non-Retina MBPs, unfortunately. People getting the rMBP will have to shell out more at purchase for more RAM, since it's not user upgradeable. If you're going to upgrade in the next 2/3 years then 8GB would suffice. I'd go for the 16GB configuration for anything longer than that.

Apple has a 14 day return policy. Get the one with the base specs first (2.4/8) use it as you will - for what you described, MS Word and Lightroom. Run Activity Monitor and see how your usage affects the RAM. It's important to use the laptop as you would in daily use and not "stress test" it (opening all the applications at once), because these stress test conditions will never equate to real world use.

If you find yourself happy with the laptop, no need to return it. Return it for the higher spec model if you feel that you need more out of it. But I think for your needs the base spec rMBP will be more than enough :D

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Not sure if that was directed at me or not, I'm not the OP.

Yeah, I always forget about that fact. :eek: I have a non-Retina MBP.

6. Veradun macrumors member

Apologies, I was addressing the OP.

How are you finding it? User upgradeability and serviceability will always be a plus in my eyes, but the Retina screen just won me over. That, and a few other things haha

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I opted for the upgradeability over the display. While the Retina is a fantastic display, I didn't need it per se and can easily live with a standard display. I bought mine from our own Marketplace and the seller had upgraded it to 16GB of RAM and put in a Samsung 830 512GB SSD.

I really like this machine and have only had it a week now. Much nicer than my older MBP 2,2 (2006) I had - which was also nice and is still in great working order.

8. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

2.4ghz and 16GB of RAM

When it comes to editing and such (video or photography) the RAM and GPU are more important than speed of CPU.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well, are you one to change laptops regularly?

10. cntwtfrmynwmbp thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I've forget to mention: I'm planning on keeping it 3-4 years.

11. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

I don't see an option to add 16gb to the 13 rMBP.

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Then try to get the highest clocked CPU and don't upgrade the RAM or HDD on Apples site. Use newegg to buy the upgrades down te road.

13. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

On the top of the line 15" model, it comes pre-configured with 16GB, no options to change it.

14. robvas macrumors 68020

8GB is as high as it goes for the current model.

15. snaky69 macrumors 603

The OP asked about the Retina model, which has soldered in RAM, this does not apply here.

16. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Right. That was covered in post #5 above.

17. AndersBrohus macrumors regular

I have the "old" rMBP, and i love it!

Got the base model with 16GB ram.. But i haven't any problems with it at all! Only the space limited is a problem for me :p

I use it for all my daily work (Surfing, mail and so on) but i use Photoshop and Illustrator and Indesign and so on.. They work great.. I don't feel any performance drop when i have all three programs open with big files..

But because im a WebDeveloper Student in ASP.NET C# then i have to use Windows.. But still no performance drop with MS-SQL 2012 and Visual Studio 2012, Photoshop, Illustrator, Spotify, FB Messenger and so on.. I can't feel any performance drop i just works! :D

I chose the base model because of i haven't got more money then that.. But it just works and i don't have any problems with mine in performance...

18. leman macrumors 604

The 2.4 Ghz with 8GB model will be absolutely sufficient for all your purposes for years to come. If you have some spare money, you can get the 16Gb.

19. cntwtfrmynwmbp thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your input guys!

Has someone an idea about this? As far as I know large data sets can be quite CPU intensive. Would that be a reason to opt for the 2.7GHz?