Please help me compare a 2.0ghz Alu Macbook with my 2.33ghz MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kmarketing, Mar 11, 2009.

1. kmarketing macrumors 6502

Hi,

I have a chance to get a aluminum macbook 2.0ghz for $800 and wanted to see if I would be satisfied with it as compared to my macbook pro. I figure I can sell the mbp and make a little cash.

I know the differences as in portability, screen estate, video card, lack of firewire, etc?

How about performance? Would I notice a substantial drop in performance?

I generally use the laptops for internet, watching movies, burning dvds, photoshop, website stuff.

It does stink that I have an older mini dv camcorder. Is there a workaround to get it to work with the macbook without firewire?

Thanks so much!

2. TSE macrumors 68030

The processor:

2.0 C2D < 2.33 GHZ C2D

The 2.33 GHZ Core 2 Duo is slightly faster than the 2.0 GHZ version, but it is less power efficient and creates more heat, plus the difference isn't much.

Graphics Card:

X1600 = 9400M

The 9400M and the X1600 are almost identical in performance, maybe with a little edge to the 9400M for running cooler, but it won't be noticed.

Ports:

MacBook Pro > MacBook

MacBook Pro has firewire, true DVI, and an expansion slot.

Screen:

MacBook Pro > MacBook

The MacBook might be LED, but the MacBook Pro has better resolution, and still a better viewing angle, even if it isn't LED.

Portability:

MacBook Pro < MacBook

It's smaller and weighs less. Period.

Battery Life:

MacBook Pro < MacBook

Self explanatory.

Hope my input helps you some. Decide on what YOU want based on that info.

3. budkid macrumors regular

run geekbench on your MBP.

I have a stock 2.0 Alu and I scored 2781.

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Your 2.33 GHz MacBook Pro will be faster than the 2 GHz Aluminum MacBook. That said, the new MacBooks are good machines and I don't think that the decrease in speed would be too noticeable.

Personally, I would keep your MacBook Pro unless you wanted the MacBook for its smaller size and slightly less weight. :)

5. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Buy MacBook and sell it at profit!

I would rather have that MacBook Pro than a current MacBook. Firewire and 1440*900 screen is important. As I want 1920*1200 on 15 inch. No 13 inch until 1680*1050.

unless you need 6 GB RAM over 3 GB

your MBP and that MB are the same in price too.

IF the MB is less than 14 days old you can return it and get $1400 for $800

6. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I have those two computers: the 2.0 alu MB, and the 15" 2.33 MPB. My wife and I use them for different tasks, and we trade off depending on who's doing what.

Other than your camcorder, what do you do with your computers? For all of the other uses you mentioned, the MB will be fine. Unless your Photoshopping is more than a hobby, it's highly unlikely that you'll be doing anything with that app that will tax the MB. Otherwise you won't see much of a difference.

Again, it comes down to usage. The last few days I've been using Illustrator to build a huge poster, and using the MBP. The extra screen real estate was a lifesaver! I would not have wanted to be doing that on my MB, even with my external monitor, as I was working with multiple documents. But for the website I was working on last week? The MB was just great, and allowed me to work on the go a little easier.

7. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I have BOTH nearly identical Macs (my uni MB is 2.4) you are discussing. I use neither often. My unibody MB hasn't been booted since I received my MBA. I bought the MBP as a replacement for one I sold. I got a screaming deal and couldn't pass it up.

Anyways, I use the MBP one day per month for a client app I run in Windows via Boot Camp. ALSO, my kids BOTH love the MBP for videos and games.

I would say, that my 2.33 GHz MBP v2,2 is a much nicer Mac than my 2.4 unibody MB. And both have 320 GB HDD at 7200 RPM. And both have 4 GB RAM, although the MB RAM is slightly faster. Even then, my unibody MB is a 2.4 and seems slower than the MBP.

Finally, the display on the MBP is amazing. The display on the much newer unibody MB is anything but amazing. Last I looked at it was to compare versus the MBA and MBP displays, and I was shocked at just how poor the MB display was compared...

So, if I were going to use one, I would HAVE to go with the MBP. Even though I like a smaller form factor like the 13.3" MBA, I cannot get away from the differences in display quality.

Lastly, funny thing is my rev B MBA running at a lowly 1.86 GHz with 2 GB RAM BLOWS THE OTHER TWO AWAY. The SSD in the MBA makes the other two seem downright SLOW!

Stick with MBP, or I think you will regret it.