Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msp1518

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
NYC or thereabouts
I have always despised how the official Apple picture moving works. With the iPhone 4 I found it best to just hook it up to my PC, go into My Computer and find the phone, click on into the folder and I could drag and drop as I pleased. Easy! You can't get any simpler.

However I am in a now 24 hour nightmare of trying to get my photos onto my new iphone 6. The iCloud backup was just the photostream so all the contents of my camera roll were missing. I had about 15% of my pictures.

In fact, there was no camera roll! I guess that's an iOS8 thing. Okay so I went to iOS 8.1 and have a camera roll. But when I open it up inside my Windows 7 based PC I am unable to drag and drop. It's disabled.

If I try to add my photos via iTunes they are locked so I cannot delete them without hooking the phone back up to iTunes and that is 100% not acceptable. Talk about restrictive.

So I have tried Dropbox, but it appears I will have to go into each photo and one at a time download them. For hundreds of photos!

I tried this Favorite thing but they are not downloading. Every tutorial I can find is about uploading photos from the phone to Dropbox. I don't need to do that. I need to download photos. Hundreds of them. My Dropbox has all my photos. :mad:

I am frustrated as hell and ready to return the 6 and just get an android based phone where this is easy. Up to now I have loved using an iPhone (other than the ringtone restrictions) but this is just beyond ridiculous.

So I am begging for help. This should not be so damned difficult. Someone please lend me some assistance.

I just want to move my pictures from my computer onto my phone and have proper control over them. That means if I want to delete one from the phone later I can just delete it with ease, as i have for three years on my iPhone 4.

THANK YOU!

msp1518

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
NYC or thereabouts

Skevaboy

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2011
Toronto
I wish this could help but like most software programs I am finding it is one way... From the phone to the PC. It does not allow one to move files from the PC to the phone. This is SO FRUSTRATING!!!! I cannot be the only one having this difficulty! :mad:
If you are near an Apple setup an appointment with the genius guys they can help i am sure

msp1518

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
NYC or thereabouts
If you are near an Apple setup an appointment with the genius guys they can help i am sure

A 5.5 hour drive from here. Not gonna happen. This shouldn't require driving half a day to sit in store for a 'genius.'

No other phone would give me such trouble. Had I know drag & drop would be disabled on this phone I just would have switched to an Android phone.

It cannot be this difficult. There has to be a simple solution. :(

MomMom1012

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
This makes me nervous to go home and get my new phone up and running. I have nearly 1000 pics I just saved on my PC. About 700 are in DropBox. The phone hasn't been backed up in ages so I'm not sure how the iCloud plays into that. My pics are all sync'd between my phone and iPad though...I can see them via the Photo Stream.

:confused:

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Set up a folder on your desktop, then put all the photos you want into that folder, and you can even have subfolders within that folder. Once it's set up to your satisfaction, go into iTunes, make sure your iPhone is either plugged in or at least is connected wirelessly to the computer, and then go to the Photos tab. Choose the folder you had earlier set up on your desktop -- this then will sync all the photos right into your iPhone. :)

msp1518

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
NYC or thereabouts
Set up a folder on your desktop, then put all the photos you want into that folder, and you can even have subfolders within that folder. Once it's set up to your satisfaction, go into iTunes, make sure your iPhone is either plugged in or at least is connected wirelessly to the computer, and then go to the Photos tab. Choose the folder you had earlier set up on your desktop -- this then will sync all the photos right into your iPhone. :)

I'm thinking you have not read what I wrote. THAT will result in the photos being locked. I will be unable to delete any of them if I wish. And so I will have to hook the phone up to iTunes to do anything with them. That is just crazy. I won't live with such silly restrictions or limitations.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Maybe things are different with a Windows machine...... I've been using this method since the first iPhone back in 2007 and have had no problems at all. Then again, I'm using a Mac.

What's so hard about connecting the iPad to the computer??

Actually, though, deleting is quite simple. You delete from your folder on your desktop or move things around in subfolders to your heart's content and the next time you sync your device either wirelessly or plugged in, boom -- the images you wanted to delete are gone. What could be simpler than that?

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
Maybe things are different with a Windows machine...... I've been using this method since the first iPhone back in 2007 and have had no problems at all. Then again, I'm using a Mac.

What's so hard about connecting the iPad to the computer??

Actually, though, deleting is quite simple. You delete from your folder on your desktop or move things around in subfolders to your heart's content and the next time you sync your device either wirelessly or plugged in, boom -- the images you wanted to delete are gone. What could be simpler than that?

Apologies as I am new to this but are you saying if you copy photos over from iTunes to the phone you can not then delete any of the photos afterwards using the phone?

msp1518

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
NYC or thereabouts
Apologies as I am new to this but are you saying if you copy photos over from iTunes to the phone you can not then delete any of the photos afterwards using the phone?

Correct. That's how it works with iTunes. It's always been that way, which is why I don't use it.

As for the guy with a Mac, I have a PC and it's a different story. Re-read my initial post. :(

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
Correct. That's how it works with iTunes. It's always been that way, which is why I don't use it.

As for the guy with a Mac, I have a PC and it's a different story. Re-read my initial post. :(

Okay, with that it became an issue for me as well.
I don't have my iPhone just yet so I tried the following onto my iPad.

After searching around I found an App by the name of 'Airfile - Cloud Manager'.

I just downloaded and installed the free version.
Next I selected multiple files and tapped on Share at the bottom and from the window that popped up I selected 'Save to the Photo Library'.
Sure enough all the files were brought in and are now on my iPad.

Try it.

msp1518

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2010
NYC or thereabouts
I myself and researching something called Photo Transfer. It's an iOS8 app. I'd rather just drag & drop, but I'll settle for simply getting my damn photos.

Stevessvt

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010
Setup dropbox on your computer, put all your pics in that dropbox folder. Put dropbox on your iphone and they will all appear on your pbone. They will also upload to dropbox when any new pics or movies are taken and will populate automatically wherever you have dropbox.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.