PLEASE help me, what is the best way I can get grandfathered in?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lovemyipad, Jun 2, 2010.

1. lovemyipad macrumors member

I have an iPhone so I'm safe, but I want to get one for my Mom. She doesn't have a data plan.

How can I get the new iPhone 4G with an unlimited data plan for her considering she doesn't have a data plan right now?

I really don't want her to settle for the 3GS but if that's the only way to get the unlimited data I'll get one before Sunday :(

2. tonie macrumors 6502

Buy any smart phone that's 3G capable and subscribe her on the data plan now. Upgrade when iphone is available.

3. lovemyipad thread starter macrumors member

But this is going to cost a lot for the phone :(:(:(

Because either I have to get an unlocked smartphone now and pay big bucks or get an iPhone 4G unlocked which would cost me my arms and legs

4. tonie macrumors 6502

buy a BB which I think it holds its value pretty well then resell it when she upgrades.

5. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Will she even be using over 2 gb/month? If not, it doesn't matter if you buy now or wait.

6. lovemyipad thread starter macrumors member

She will lol

7. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

^this

but if you really want to, you need to find someone you know that has an iPhone. Put you SIM in it. Call AT&T and tell them you just got a hand me down iPhone and need to get the data plan put on (might have to pay an activation fee). They activate the phone with your SIM, then you give the phone back to your friend and pop your SIM back in your dumb phone until the release of the new iPhone.

Done.

8. lovemyipad thread starter macrumors member

This sounds REALLY sketch...if I did that I bet they'd cancel my AT&T iPhone plan or something since it's a family plan...

9. tonie macrumors 6502

That's not going to work because they will cancel your data once they detected that your phone is not 3g capable.

10. lovemyipad thread starter macrumors member

That sounds right. The other plan just seems way to sketch.

Looks like I'll just buy the 3GS for her. At least it'll run OS 4.0 ;)

11. SqB macrumors 6502

Not so. I switch my sim back to my RAZR all the time when I go places I don't want to take my iPhone. I recently had it switched out for two weeks and it didn't change a thing on my account.

12. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I believe you'll have 30 days to return the phone after you buy it, so if the new iPhone is released within 30 days, you could return the 3gs for it then.

13. lovemyipad thread starter macrumors member

Can you keep the unlimited data plan then?

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would say buy a used curve 8300. I am pretty sure you can get those pretty cheap. Put an unlimited plan on it. But some how I really do not think your mom will go over 2gigs a month given the fact she does not currently have a smart phone.

15. lasuther macrumors 6502a

I don't believe that, especially if she is has no data now. Do her a favor, and save her $5 a month.

16. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

She won't use more than 2Gb/month unless she's tethering ... I highly doubt your mother will be doing that. Relax, save yourself a headache, and wait until the new one is released.

17. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

Ya. I just sold my iPhone 3G today and am using a dumb phone for the next couple weeks until the new one comes out. I did this last time too and didnt get any plan cancelled or anything.

18. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

People are reporting in other threads that AT&T reps are claiming that the new iphone will require one of the new plans, regardless of your existing plan.

The grandfathering is just if you keep your existing 3G/S phone and buy/replace another one down the line). So if your planning on getting the new iphone, trying to get grandfathered is kinda pointless.

However there is still a lot of confusion (even on AT&T's side), so I'd expect this to take a while to settle out.

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Call AT&T and tell them she got a hand me down iPhone and that she needs the $30/month data plan added.

Plan and simple.

20. ironsidephoto macrumors member

i'm in the same situation. i have a nokia e71x with NO data plan, and plan on getting an iphone when it comes out. should I get an unlimited plan now and then upgrade to iphone, or will it matter if it isn't an "iphone" unlimited data plan?