Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zipper1022

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2006
Long Island, NY/ Boston, MA
hello

i have a professional color video monitor that i got from my schools old editing department (they shut he department and gave it to me)

i have it hooked up to my macbook pro via the video adapter and an s video cable.

the monitor works but for some reason the image on the tv is scewed vertically. its like the resolution on the tv is incorrect. I tried using switchresx and i found myself having no idea what the hell i was doing and i think im just going to make it worse....

is there a program that i cn simply just skew the image?? like on old ctr video monitors when they had the bottons that you could make the image smaller or bigger??

or does anyone have any suggestions on what i need to do???

the tv screen measures 11 x 8 wich i calculated to be 792 x 576

its so frustrating that every image i put on there is "taller" then it should be,...

someone help!!!

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
sounds like the MBP is pushing it's widescreen resolution out to the video monitor.

go to System Preferences then choose Displays.

First click the box that says "Show Displays on Menu Bar".

Now look for a little Icon somewhere around the Airport icon that looks like a desktop monitor.

Now click that Icon and it will show the MBPs screen resolution and the Video Monitors resolution.

Unless you are using a PAL monitor it should show 640x480 or 720x480 (I think...)

You may need t lower the resolution of the MBP.

I use a 12"PowerBook and don't have a problem with too much resolution...

Let me know what it says.

Attachments

• Monitor icon.jpg
    Monitor icon.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 34

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
Any particular reason why you're hooking up using SVideo cable and not DVI? Sounds like Mac isn't detecting your external monitor model and so you do have to input resolution info as per above post.

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
Any particular reason why you're hooking up using SVideo cable and not DVI? Sounds like Mac isn't detecting your external monitor model and so you do have to input resolution info as per above post.

The OP must be using the DVI to SVIDEO converter cable that I thought came with the MBP (or maybe not.) http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=16193109&nplm=M9267G/A

My 12"PB came with a Mini-DVI to SVIDEO/Composite adapter. http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=17887CE1&nplm=M9319G/A

zipper1022

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2006
The OP must be using the DVI to SVIDEO converter cable that I thought came with the MBP (or maybe not.) http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=16193109&nplm=M9267G/A

My 12"PB came with a Mini-DVI to SVIDEO/Composite adapter. http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=17887CE1&nplm=M9319G/A

yea i am using thata adapter to hook it up toa TV and its squeezing it onto the tv, idk why though, i tried to make a resolution that would allow me to have the correct perspective ratio but i cant get it so i was hoping to get a program that could skew the image projected onto the tv, like having a window running in the tv that i can change the dimensions on so i can get the proper aspect ratio

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
turn off mirroring and make sure what the resolution is on the monitor.

you may need to move a photo or video over to that window to see how good it looks.

zipper1022

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2006
mirroring never was on, its reading it exactly how i want it to be, as an external monitor, but the tv is squishing the image and making it taller and skinnier then it should, if its a quicktime video i can scew the window and make the aspect correct but if its not quicktime its not so eaasy....

heres an example

desktopexamplesmall.jpg

the red outline in the window to the right is what the window should look like, but its scewed like you can see...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.