Please help: moving location of music files on Macbook from NAS to networked PC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eoren1, Dec 29, 2010.

1. eoren1 macrumors 6502

I have a 46 gig itunes music folder that I had moved from my PC to a NAS several months ago. I set up itunes to have the music folder on the Macbook that I use day-to-day point to the songs on the NA. The songs link to the respective folder on /Volume/Music/Artist/Album/song
    The NAS has been having issues staying connected so I just moved all new songs (I had kept at least 44 gigs on the PC as a backup when I did this 6 months ago) from the NAS to the PC. I finally figured out a way to reliably connect to the PC (running Win7) from the Macbook via SMB. The songs are now located on Volume/iTunes Music/Artist/Album/Song
    My question is - how do I instruct itunes that the songs are now located on the PC rather than the NAS? Should I just 'delete' all files in iTunes and then add the PC's folder? Is there a better way??
    Thanks in advance!
    E

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I think the easiest way would be to make sure that the PC files show up at /Volumes/Music instead of /Volumes/iTunes Music.

If playcounts, etc... don't matter to you the remove and readd is the next easiest and finally relinking each individual file.

B

3. eoren1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks
    Ended up clicking on the first file with an exclamation point, pointed to new location then answered okay to the prompt from iTunes on using the new info for other tracks. It found all but 80 songs.
    Easy!