Please help. No acces to some Time Machine Backups.

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by Dutch60, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Dutch60, Jul 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019

Dutch60 macrumors member

A week ago I bought the new iMac 2019. Also use a Lacie 6Tb TB3 external hard drive for Time Machine backups. Mojave here.
    I thought that I had everything up and running, but now I cannot acces some of the programs from within a Time Machine backup. I see many back upped programs inside the programs folder on a Time machine backup greyed out and with a no entry sign across it (prohibitory symbol). Not all, but many.
    Can anyone lead me to a solution here? Do I have to reinstall OS again?
    Thank you very much!
    upload_2019-7-14_13-45-17.png Like this

2. Dutch60 thread starter macrumors member

3. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Next time...
    Try either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper instead.

If you had been using them, you wouldn't be having these problems now....

4. Dutch60, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019

Dutch60 thread starter macrumors member

Thnx Fishrrman. But nothing to worry about, according to Apple. Apple Support: this is normal to prevent opening programs from within a Time Machine backup (should not be done). I wonder if you use Time Machine for back up, and if so..how your Time Machine Program icons look (in backup ofcourse).
    So I probably saw a problem, that wasn't really a problem. I suppose Apple support is right and in that case I don' t know how CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper would have " saved" me in this specific case.
    Over here all program icons show well in Finder. Apart from that I also have a copy of these programs and all files on externals.
    I also have hard copies of Programs and Files on an external...no CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper...yet.

5. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

This sounds right. But what you should do is erase an app and then restore it from Time Machine and ensure it works.

Always good to test your backups.

6. Dutch60 thread starter macrumors member

Thnx Howard2k. I tried and all is well.