Please Help, Urgent : Decision on 27 imac v 21 imac and i5 v i7

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ghhdduu8, Jul 20, 2011.

1. ghhdduu8 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I recently bought a quad core i7 27 inch imac. Everything worked well on it, I have all of adobe's(CS) photo, illustration, video, sound, flash, etc creative software, word programs, multiple internet browsers etc on it.

However, the back of the computer at the top started to heat up even in an idle state or with minimal use to 135 F (a lot higher than the specifications apple has on its website) and felt like touching a hot electric burner or pan. The room it is in which is 13 ft by 13 ft in a cool area heated up even when the computer was idle, felt like a sauna.

I have a very short time in which to return it or swapp it and I really need some advice based on the following main Question:

1) Does the heat come from the size of the computer or the processor?

Therefore...

-Will a 21 inch be cooler than a 27 inch imac because it is smaller?

-Will a 21 inch disperse less heat than the 27 inch imac to its surroundings?

-Will the i7 heat up more than the i5 (the i7 is more future proof, right)?

-What would be the best bet in regards to size and processor to get a machine that isn't so hot.

Thank you , thank you in advance for your advice!! It is needed :)

2. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

The safest iMac off all (in term of heat) is base 27" iMac. It has i5 with 65watt TDP, same spec and design with hi end 21.5" (non BTO) but encased in enormous 27" chassis.