Please help with unlimited text plan/iPhone question (I'm sure you're tired of these)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fredleysir, Mar 4, 2008.

1. fredleysir macrumors newbie

OK.. I currently have a family plan of five lines on AT&T that consists of however many minutes, rollover, and an unlimited text plan (to anyone on any network for every line). I'm planning on getting an iPhone and what I would like to do, ideally, is unlock, jailbreak, anysim, everyting that guy so I can just pop my SIM card from my old phone into the iPhone and be on my way. I am aware that this will prevent me the visual voicemail and EDGE service, but I am ok with that.

So my questions are... After I jailbreak and SIM unlock the iPhone, will I still be able to use my unlimited texting? Are there any restrictions with SIM unlocking and jailbreaking the phone as far as use on a carrier?

And also, is there any way to disable the EDGE service, through AT&T, or on the phone itself? I don't even want the possibility of the phone connecting via EDGE.

And of course, I still need Wi-Fi to function.
    So, basically, I'd like to have the iPhone without paying any additional per month, as well as maintain my unlimited text plan I already have. Is this possible?

2. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Yes, you can do this.

Once you jailbreak your phone, you can install BossPrefs, which will let you disable EDGE. I have done this myself and it works great.

3. outkaste25 macrumors member

Wrong Sub-Forum?

You might want to try the jail-breaking sub forum...might get a better response from there. Also if you have AT&T now then why do you want to jailbreak? It's my understanding that you are able to keep family unlimited text plans. Anyway...good luck.

4. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

If you aren't going to use EDGE, just buy a Touch.

5. fredleysir thread starter macrumors newbie

I already have a touch big guy... Writing this post from it.. But thanks for nothing. Anyone else with anything actually constructive to say?