Please let Apple know to restore the 3G on/off switch in the 4s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MattMJB0188, Nov 12, 2011.

1. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

It may not seem important to you but many depend on 2G. If you are in a poor 3G area your signal will constantly try to stay connected to 3G and this will cause your battery to rapidly decrease. Some also get much stronger 2G reception for calls than 3G.

Please let apple know by giving them your feedback on this matter. Thank

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

2. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

You can't turn off 3G because of the new antenna system. Only if Apple goes back to the old antenna then you can disable 3G.

3. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Where is this stated? This is the first I've heard of this?

4. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

Someone around the forum here had said the cell chipset does not support disabling 3G. The Verizon iPhone 4 did not have this toggle either.

5. Mackan macrumors 65816

But you can talk over 2G according to 4S specification page. If you do that, then 3G must be disabled automatically, right? Anyway, all is speculation as usual. Never getting clear answers from Apple.

6. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Don't worry Matt, 'yeah' is just trying to cast his opinion as fact :rolleyes:

Can't say I've seen a single source out there that actually states that 2G/Edge isn't supported on the new chipset...

Keep fighting the good fight to demand that Apple bring this feature back to the Att version! :D

7. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

Huh? If you're in an area with no 3G coverage, you will be on the 2G network. Doesn't mean the 3G radio is turned off.

8. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

is me or my 4s has the option to turn off 3g, cellular data as well!? Att device only factory unlocked on tmobile.

9. youknome macrumors 6502

youknome

The only option the iPhone 4S has is to turn off ALL mobile data which includes 3G, 2G etc...

10. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Turning off Cellular data is NOT THE ANSWER. This turns off all data connectivity. With the 3G on/off switch you would still have a connection, it would just be EDGE. The only way you can get on EDGE is if you are only in a 2G area. There is no way to manually force it. I don't see why the new antenna system can't support it? Still having hope people will just fill out that form and Apple will either do it or announce why they can't do it.

11. OafTobark macrumors 6502

OafTobark

well i can say ive seen the post(s). so **** & stop acting like you know what you're talking about. maybe if you spent enough time on here, you'd have seen it as well.

12. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Posts/opinions of members on macrumors (no matter how many) don't count as actual sources buddy :rolleyes:

That would be like a member posting a thread "Apple didn't come out with a 4 inch screen because they wanted to maximize profits on the current design"... now while that could very well be true that doesn't make it fact or a real source. The same is true of 'yeah' or any other member saying "The new chipset doesn't support disabling 3G!" without an actual source ;)

I've DEF spent more time on here than you and know a good amount about the iPhone (I see you've been here a whole month...) so chill with the profanity & newbie attitude...

13. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I was just looking for that yesterday. Too bad it's not there anymore.

14. szolr macrumors 6502

Haven''t heard that yet. It's a pity-I like as much control as possible over device technologies.

15. OafTobark, Nov 13, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2011

OafTobark macrumors 6502

OafTobark

hey buddy... new account. check out MXChristian11 as it is my old account. You've been here a whole, what, 11 months. Been devoted since Apr. 2008, thank you. Damn.. people think before you speak.

Oh, and to MR mods, i do not have dual-registration as I do not use MXChristian11 anymore.

Anyways! Back on topic, is a 3G switch really necessary?

16. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

This thread is full of misinformation.

#1. Apple has NOT given ANY reasoning as to why they have not included the disable 3G toggle in the 4S.

#2. I can make a reasonable guess as to why it is not in the CDMA (Verizon/Sprint) iPhone 4.

Verizon and Sprint operate CDMA 2000 networks. CDMA networks have gone through several upgrades over the past 6 years.

There is CDMA 1xRTT

And later come CDMA 1xEV-DO

And even EV-DO has seen upgrades to become even faster.

Despite each being faster or slower, they are all considered 3G technologies. It isn't as cut and dry as the GSM upgrade path that had clearly defined 2G and 3G networks.

Edge - 2G
    UMTS - 3G
    HSDPA - 3G
    HSUPA - 3G
    HSPA+ - 3G (Sometimes referred to 3.5G. Marketed as 4G by carriers)

So... CDMA customers can't "turn off 3G" because their whole network is 3G. Plus... EV-DO is data only. The voice is using the older 1xRTT for voice.

So... if this explanation was confusing... then it is exactly why Apple removed it. iPhone is on several carriers now with different technologies. In typical Apple fashion, they want it to be simple. Just turn on your phone, use it and enjoy it.

17. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

I agree I want the 3G switch back, really annoying without it.

18. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

+1

GSM is more popular than CDMA. The majority of the world with the iPhone is on a GSM carrier so this should be an option. I don't see why just because CDMA users can't turn off 3G why GSM iPhone users shouldn't be able too?

I get much much better coverage with EDGE than 3G at my house. Because of this I had to get an MicroCell which has its issues. It would be so much easier if I could just disable 3G and revert to only EDGE.