Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
Hi Mac friends,
I just recorded the noise that the fan of my Retina iMac produces ...
What do you think? Does my Retina iMac have a faulty fan? Is it too loud?

Please listen and comment:
https://soundcloud.com/bioapfel/retina-imac-fan-noise

Thanks!

This is definitely not normal! You should get it repaired. I hear a quit whisper of air on my RiMac when I put my head near the fan. I can hear the fan in a totally quit room at working distance only when I am really concentrating on it. Normally I did not notice it at all....

frompast

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2010
Exacly purring sound like mine.

But it will be quiet down eventually just like mine.:D

IMO those dust somehow piled up in cavity eliminate vibration and rattle.

I am only able to hear whooshing air by now.

So return it or not ,either way will be just fine .;)

Last edited:

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Hi Mac friends,
I just recorded the noise that the fan of my Retina iMac produces ...
What do you think? Does my Retina iMac have a faulty fan? Is it too loud?

Please listen and comment:
https://soundcloud.com/bioapfel/retina-imac-fan-noise

Thanks!

I've heard a similar sound from my iMac at times. I've found a sharp tap to the rear casing of my 5K usually shuts it up. I recall my 2012 iMac making the same sound.

It's obviously tricky to get an idea of just how loud that noise is, since obviously I can turn my sound up or down. But, the characteristic is certainly familiar to me.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
Bad fan bearings usually makes a buzzing sound. It sounds like something getting tapped by the spinning blades, such as a bug, bit of paper or clump of dust. I wonder if vacuuming or blowing out the exhaust vents might free it up.

apfelmann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Thanks for the replys!
"Dust" can certainly not be the reason for the noise, as the noise was there the moment I unpacked the iMac.

I think I'll send my "noise recording" to apple care and see what they will say ...

I want to avoid the hassle of returning the iMac ... maybe Apple Care can offer me "unlimited apple care service" if the fan ever stops working

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
There is something wrong, get it repaired or replaced. You can clearly hear a mechanical 'rattle' when you should only be able to hear whooshing air, admittedly quite loud whooshing when under heavy load.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.