Please listen to my Retina iMac's (faulty) fan!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by apfelmann, May 4, 2015.

1. apfelmann macrumors 6502

2. AlexJoda macrumors 6502

AlexJoda

This is definitely not normal! You should get it repaired. I hear a quit whisper of air on my RiMac when I put my head near the fan. I can hear the fan in a totally quit room at working distance only when I am really concentrating on it. Normally I did not notice it at all....

3. frompast, May 4, 2015
    Last edited: May 5, 2015

frompast macrumors member

Exacly purring sound like mine.

But it will be quiet down eventually just like mine.:D

IMO those dust somehow piled up in cavity eliminate vibration and rattle.

I am only able to hear whooshing air by now.

So return it or not ,either way will be just fine .;)

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I agree that does sound a little abnormal. If it bothers you get it exchanged.

5. WilliamG macrumors G3

I've heard a similar sound from my iMac at times. I've found a sharp tap to the rear casing of my 5K usually shuts it up. I recall my 2012 iMac making the same sound.

It's obviously tricky to get an idea of just how loud that noise is, since obviously I can turn my sound up or down. But, the characteristic is certainly familiar to me.

6. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Bad fan bearings usually makes a buzzing sound. It sounds like something getting tapped by the spinning blades, such as a bug, bit of paper or clump of dust. I wonder if vacuuming or blowing out the exhaust vents might free it up.

7. apfelmann thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replys!
    "Dust" can certainly not be the reason for the noise, as the noise was there the moment I unpacked the iMac.

I think I'll send my "noise recording" to apple care and see what they will say ...

I want to avoid the hassle of returning the iMac ... maybe Apple Care can offer me "unlimited apple care service" if the fan ever stops working

8. steve23094 macrumors 68020

steve23094

There is something wrong, get it repaired or replaced. You can clearly hear a mechanical 'rattle' when you should only be able to hear whooshing air, admittedly quite loud whooshing when under heavy load.