Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Please rank the fan loudness of Macs, from the [size=+3]LOUDEST[/size] to the [size=-2]softest[/size]. Please feel free to include the laptops as well.

I'm guessing that the Mac Mini is probably the softest, and PowerMac is the loudest? :) Please fill in the blanks! :D

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Applespider said:
Since we haven't had any new models in the two weeks, you'll probably get the same answers as when you last asked ;)
Ah that's where it was :) I swear, I tried searching for it first! I used the search term 'fan' and 'fans' though :)

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Is the Power Mac G5 really the loudest? Because I could barely hear mine right now, course the window is open. But even then the only thing I hear is the fan on my graphics card. Prior to upgrading that, the PM was almost silent.

thecow

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2003
Timonium MD
I'm know that my TiBook is silent about 80% of the time except for the HD. When the fan does come on though, it is really loud and annoying. I'd like it better if it was constantly on at very low RMP and sped up when that isn't enough, but the way it is saves power I guess. I also have a PowerMac G4 MMD aka "wind tunnel". It was really loud until apple gave me new quieter fans for free. It is still loud, but it doesn't sound like a jet is taking off in your back yard anymore. It still has almost enough airflow and heat that you could turn on folding and use it as a heater. I don't know about any other macs as these are the only ones I have.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
PM G5 dual 2.5- sileglent unless the window and door are off, and then it whales. Quiter than my PC audio workstation at work, but then again both the primary server and my workstation have 7 to 9 fans. Any more and it would be flying.

Power Book, fairly quiet, seems to have 2 fan modes, on and hairdryer, still quiter than the HPs and Dell laptop at work.

pna

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
Daveway said:
Powermac/ iMac rev. A
iMac
eMac
Powerbook
iBook
Mac mini

I would put the mac mini above the powerbook and ibook, actually. The fan on mine always runs, whereas the new albooks and ibooks hardly ever spin up a fan.

The powermac/iMac/eMacs all use 3.5" hard drives, which are inherently louder than the notebook drives that the other three use. The dual G5's I've used haven't been excessively loud (aside from hard drive seeks), but much of that is due to their fan noise being more of a low-pitched 'whoooosh' noise rather than the high pitch of small fans spinning quickly (like on video cards).

Ryan T.

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2005
Rochester, NY
My single 1.6 PM G5 is very quiet. Definately quieter than my PC.

I think the single CPU's are quite a bit quieter on the whole though.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Between my PB and my iMac (in my sig), the iMac is definitely louder than my PB. Sort of a bummer considering I use my desktop more and it lives by the foot of my bed (on a desk).

paleck

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2005
with the Tequila!
There are fans in my G5 PM.......But seriously I never hear them, the most noise that computer makes comes from the speakers or superdrive. :eek:

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
pna said:
I would put the mac mini above the powerbook and ibook, actually. The fan on mine always runs, whereas the new albooks and ibooks hardly ever spin up a fan.
I think I've heard my mini one time. That's when it was 95F out and I was folding. And even then I had to be within about a foot or two to even hear it.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Rootman said:
The eMac is louder than a camp stove.

Nice! :D

The iBook to me is comparable on quietness to most PC notebooks. The fan is just about as loud, but doesn't run too often. The combo drive is loud, but again similar to other (tray-mounted, natch) Wintel notebook drives I've seen... The HD is pretty quiet. I have not spent enough time with any other Mac to comment on it's loudness, though. :(

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
AliensAreFuzzy said:
I think I've heard my mini one time. That's when it was 95F out and I was folding. And even then I had to be within about a foot or two to even hear it.
Yeah, mine only comes on when I am REALLY pushing it. Mostly it only comes on during video compression or something similar. Normal operation is silent to whisper quiet. Even when the fans are on full blast, it isn't very loud.

kaylie_kipe

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2004
Seattle, Washington
emac is louder than my Dual 1.8G5 PM. But it is not necessary, I overclocked a .80GHz emac to 1.25GHz and installed a potentiometer onto the fan to turn it down. That way you can keep it at damn near silent most the time, and if you want you can bump up the fan speed when you're gaming or rendering. With stock speed you could probably keep it almost silent all the time.

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
tech4all said:
Is the Power Mac G5 really the loudest? Because I could barely hear mine right now, course the window is open. But even then the only thing I hear is the fan on my graphics card. Prior to upgrading that, the PM was almost silent.
The PM G5 at idle w/no CPU load is pretty quiet. But, if you max out both CPUs and have your Energy Saver setting at highest, boy, it gets LOUD!

Try running the distributed.net RC5 client at http://www1.distributed.net//download/clients.php and change your energy saver setting to highest. Within a few mins, you'll find your CPU temps climbing to 150F or more and CPU fans at full blast.

I think you can repro this if you stay booted in Open Firmware for awhile. I haven't tried it, but I believe there's no fan control while in Open Firmware. See http://developer.apple.com/document.../apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40002012-CH206-TPXREF133 what I'm talking about.

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
Eniregnat said:
PM G5 dual 2.5- sileglent unless the window and door are off, and then it whales.
You aren't supposed to run it w/the door and "window" off per
http://developer.apple.com/document.../apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40002012-CH205-TPXREF104

"Warning: Opening the enclosure side panel impacts the thermal performance of the computer. Do not run the enclosure with the side panel open. If the air deflector inside the enclosure is removed, the fans will spin very slowly and the system will take action to prevent over-heating."

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I just found out my Tibook 400 fan seemed to have only one speed and loudness of the fan when it got hot. Which was hardly ever because I had it on a Macally stand. The reason I say I just found out is that my newer Tibook 667 has two fan speeds, one sort of quieter than the 400mhz, and one fan speed that is TOTALLY annoying. That'll teach me to not use it in bed with my comforter cover underneath it without the Macally thingie.

BTW, I heard the 1 gig Tibook has two fans? Is this true and I wonder why?

I love Tibooks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.