Please Recommend a computer desk for taking care of a 27 iMac and Dell U2711

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tigereat, Sep 1, 2010.

1. tigereat macrumors regular

I'm looking for a computer desk that will be able to take care a 27 iMac and a Dell U2711.

I'm a Developer but I already spent a lot of money for those two 27 inch monitors. So my budget is not over $200

Any advice?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Have you considered a simple 72"x30" "conference table"? The kind with folding legs?

These are available at most office-supply stores, maybe even Walmart.

No, they are not "elegant" like a "fancy" desk might be, but they offer LOTS of desktop "real estate" (especially for 2 large displays) and can be had for $50-60 (maybe even less).

I've been using a couple for years, and they hold up very well.

3. mrvanagon macrumors newbie

Here's a desk I like but it's a little over your budget at $250. The one I have is a simple corner model from Sauder that I got from an office supply store. I wouldn't think it would cost any more than 200 bucks. Craigslist can be a good source for desks and tables. If you have the room, an old kitchen table would probably work well and could be had for very little money.

4. tigereat thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks you all,

I forgot to say I prefer my desk with pretty high depth (25)and width (60) because I dont want to sit too close to those 27 inch displays. My eyes could be hurt since I usually spend my time in front of the computer more than 10 hours a day

or a desk with a drawer would be nice . So I can put my mac keyboard on and back off myself a little bit
    Any more advice

I have my eyes on this one

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/200593/Realspace-Dawson-60-Computer-Desk-30/?cm_cat=2000000353

The problem i found on the reviews is It takes time to resemble ot about 3-4 Hours :eek:

5. hkmoul macrumors newbie

We use tall narrow table to hold monitor and iMac and a drafting table in front to hold Wacom tablet and keyboard for Photoshop.

6. lyrrad721 macrumors regular

I can recommend you the desk I use, below is a pic of it. Bought it at Office Max for $199.99. Glass is tempered and can withstand up to 200#.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edit: Desk: Z-Line Tyler Collection

7. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

^^^ nice looking desk (and setup)! What kind of monitor speakers are those?

8. lyrrad721 macrumors regular

9. Tobster3 macrumors 6502

Sweet looking desk!! If I was in the US, I'd definitely be looking to purchase that.

10. tigereat thread starter macrumors regular

That's very nice. I'm worried about its depth though. Do you feel anything when siiting that close to your 27 iMac?

Looked at your picture, it seemed your keyboard and your monitor is very close to each other. It might hurrt your eyes sometimes. My case is even worse since i have two 27 monitors. :eek:

11. mangrove macrumors 6502

I'd do the Fishrrman idea with a fabric or cloth sock that fits right over the top going right on down to the floor on 3 sides with the fourth side (facing you).

Then you can even hide some drawers under it and even put a big 'ol cube-like backup system on top of that set of drawers on wheels.

12. lyrrad721 macrumors regular

Haha, looking for a good looking desk that fits your needs is a very hard process :mad:
    Nothing serious, I did have to bring down my brightness drastically because my iMac screen is bright like a mofo :eek:

13. emjaymert, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012

emjaymert macrumors member

I m using a second hand old high school lunch table. It s not elegant,but it has my mac,printer,and an xbox gaming center on it( the gaming center includes a 27" tv set), is very stable and can handle a LOT. I bought it at a used office supply store.It s about 6 feet long,3feet deep and four feet high. I bought a set of file cabinets with drawers and they slide right under it,leaving plenty of leg room. Nothing says your new table needs to be new :)

14. Rich2Putt macrumors member

Try IKEA. Great selection and value.