Please recommend a safe and easy unlocker for 4s (no jailbreak needed)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by essential, Jan 23, 2012.

1. essential macrumors regular

The girlfriend is in London and wants to take her iPhone 4S to O2 and grab a “bring your own phone” plan, but her iPhone needs to be unlocked first.

I don’t want to jailbreak, she doesn’t need it at all, and I don’t want to void the warranty.

What is the current safest/easiest/recommended iPhone 4S unlocker? All the research I’ve done pointed to programs that unlocked and jailbreak at the same time it seems, and most want money for the software when I know there are free solutions. I’m happy to pay I guess if for some reason a certain software is safer, but any recommendations would be appreciated.

2. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

You cannot unlock without jailbreaking first and I'm not sure what the deal is with the current modem firmwares but they usually lag behind jailbreak releases, considerably!

3. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

1) Jail breaking does not void warrantee
    2) To unlock, you need to Jailbreak
    3) Unfortunately, I would say you will not have any success as many of had poor luck Jail braking- let alone unlocking.

I know in the USA you can get a 20 flip phone that works with phone cards.

4. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

The only way to do this is just to buy a factory unlocked one from your carrier or apple.

5. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

There is no unlock for the 4S right now, jailbroken or not.

6. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

To be free, you gotta get out of jail first, ain't you mate? :D

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

In case anyone missed it... though this is for the GSM iPhone 4S.

If you have a Verizon iPhone 4S, Verizon - if you ask - will unlock the SIM tray for use of non-domestic SIMs when overseas.

This is what I have. Verizon when in the states and an unlocked for GSM microSIMs when overseas. Very handy.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    No unlock for the 4S at the moment.
    Sell it and buy a factory unlocked iphone.

9. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Sprint will also do an international unlock for customers in good standing, that have had their accounts over 90 days.

10. essential thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies, and after reading more I realize that there is no unlock for the 4S.

My next question is basically the same, but for my old iPhone 3G.

Is there a preferred/best free method of unlocking the 3G (if I have to jailbreak as well I will, but it'd still be preferred to just have a unlock)?

Also, my old 3G is still running 3.1.3, should I leave it that way or upgrade to 4.0.2 (which I think is the most current for the 3G) prior to unlock?

Thanks.

11. DeftwillP macrumors 6502

12. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

The same rules applies to all iPhones, either you unlock it via jailbreak or buy one factory unlocked, the third way is to ask the carrier to unlock it, which usually can happen after its first year, this will cost money though.

Jailbreak and unlocks related to it are always free, if they want money for it, then it's a scam.

The latest version for the 3G is 4.2.1.

13. essential thread starter macrumors regular

Don't have the phone on me, i'll have to post when I get home.

I current iPhone 4S is 1.0.13, I don't know if it would be the same though.

14. bradl, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012

bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I don't know if this is correct.

While it can iOS 4 can be installed on an iPhone 3G, I believe it was mentioned at the WWDC that year that Apple would not support iOS4 on a 3G. They would on the iPad, iPhone 4, and iPhone 3GS, but not the 3G.

If you are at 3.1.3, I would say to stay at 3.1.3. That one does have the ability to be jailbroken and unlocked. I want to say redsnow 0.7.2 was able to jailbreak it, and ultrasnow was able to unlock it.

That was where I was with my 3G until I just upgraded to the 4S (and that was only 2 weeks ago).

To the OP:

Here is what I would suggest. Call up ATT, and see if you can swap your phone numbers between devices. Give her the 3G for the time she'll be overseas, and you take the 4S. Then jailbreak/unlock the 3G. That will give her something to use overseas, where she can pick up a PAYG sim, or some sim card from a provider over there. that will tie her over until an unlock comes out for the 4S (obviously, baseband dependent), if it comes out at all.

BL.

15. essential thread starter macrumors regular

16. miss.manson macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

Or just take the sim card out of the 3G and put it into the 4s...?