Please recommend Full HD video camera under £400

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by tjcampbell, Oct 4, 2011.

1. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

Hi, thanks for your help with this. :D

I have been looking at cameras and reading reviews - my head is going to explode! :eek:

I'm looking to spend under £400 and I would like to get the best bang for my buck. I want one that records to SD. I have a MBP with the slot, very convenient. Most of my videos will be shorts, sketches and castings that I put on tape.

I would like to be able to shoot in HD and drop the files right into iMovie with little or no loss of quality.

Thanks, Tommy

2. smokescreen76 macrumors member

The Canon Legria cameras are good for their price.

Although all cameras at this price record to very compressed video which needs to be transcoded before you can edit it. You would probably need to transcode to AIC to work in iMovie in HD.

3. tjcampbell thread starter macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

Thanks for your help.

Would a more expensive camera avoid me having to transcode?

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I strongly recommend a Canon HD Camcorder with a CMOS processor, the build quality is the best I've seen for that price range (if you can find one)

5. MacStu09 macrumors regular

If you can find the panasonic hdc-sd600 on sale, I'd say get it. I picked mine up off of amazon brand new for $299; though it was a huge sale price. If you can find one on ebay for near that price or something, I definitely recommend getting it.

It outperformed just about every consumer camera, and several prosumer cameras, in nearly every aspect. This site helps in comparing cameras quite a bit.

camcorder-test.slashcam.com

6. tjcampbell thread starter macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell