Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sorryiwasdreami

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2004
way out in the sticks
I've been searching high and low for a manufacture that makes a travel case or bag for the 17" iMac G5. I transport it rather often, at least once per week, and the original box is beginning to deteriorate. It didn't help that FedEx took the liberty of basically destroying the box to begin with.

Also, does anyone know of a good screen cleaner/screen cleaning technique for the iMac G5 screen?

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
i don't think you're going to find many bags specifically made for transporting a desktop! Best bet is to keep the protective foamy bits and find something that will hold it.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Try eBay. I saw some cases that someone created to carry their own iMac G5 on there (that was several weeks ago though)....and I do not have a link.

zen_state

macrumors member
its a DT not a laptop. its not meant to be dragged around all the time. if you want that get a powerbook/ibook.

you have bought a machine that does not suit your needs at all. for someone who travels once a week and needs a computer to take with them a desktop is not the way to go at all. sell your imac and get a pb or ibook. then you could watch dvd's, compute and such on route.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
This may sound far fetched but what about those insulated bags that pizza are delivered in? Size seems right and it has a bit of padding. Worth a shot.

Will Curran

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2004
Phoenix AZ
rdowns said:
This may sound far fetched but what about those insulated bags that pizza are delivered in? Size seems right and it has a bit of padding. Worth a shot.

naw it wouldnt fit... the stand+space under screen+screen=too big

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
I don't know why everyone is grilling him for asking about a bag for the iMac G5. There are a few bags meant specifically for carrying around the iMac G4, so it will only be a matter of time before one is made for the imac G5.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
sorryiwasdreami said:
I've been searching high and low for a manufacture that makes a travel case or bag for the 17" iMac G5. I transport it rather often, at least once per week, and the original box is beginning to deteriorate. It didn't help that FedEx took the liberty of basically destroying the box to begin with.

Also, does anyone know of a good screen cleaner/screen cleaning technique for the iMac G5 screen?

sorryiwasdreami, here you go:

http://ltaprojects.com/_wsn/page7.html

from the above link:
Insert1.jpg
Insert2.jpg
Insert3.jpg
Insert4.jpg

As for your second question, only clean the LCD when it's cool. It's probably best if the computer has been off for an hour, because even when you have the screen off in energy saver mode there may be some warmth in it from the running computer. Sleep mode would be alright though. Use a soft cloth (cotton or microfiber) with just a little bit of water .. not enough to drip after wiping though. Have a second dry cloth handy to quickly get any possible droplets.

If you buy one of those expensive products like iKlear, well use it only when the screen is cool. A lot of people seem happy with those products but I find them to be a complete waste of money. Water and a soft cloth are all you need.

crazzyeddie said:
I don't know why everyone is grilling him for asking about a bag for the iMac G5. There are a few bags meant specifically for carrying around the iMac G4, so it will only be a matter of time before one is made for the imac G5.

Yup I completely agree. Here's a suggestion folks, when someone asks for help, try to give it. Otherwise move along.

munkle said:
i don't think you're going to find many bags specifically made for transporting a desktop! Best bet is to keep the protective foamy bits and find something that will hold it.

Willow Design used to make cases for just about every Mac from the Mac SE in 1987 up through the Power Mac G5 in 2003. Their website says they're exiting the business, but anyway they still have some closeout goods for sale, including cases for Apple desktops: http://www.willowdesign.com/Willow2004cSALE.html#AppleDesktop

zen_state said:
its a DT not a laptop. its not meant to be dragged around all the time. if you want that get a powerbook/ibook.

you have bought a machine that does not suit your needs at all. for someone who travels once a week and needs a computer to take with them a desktop is not the way to go at all. sell your imac and get a pb or ibook. then you could watch dvd's, compute and such on route.

That's pretty harsh dude.. if you were in a zen state you'd realize that the original poster bought a computer which suits his/her needs. The iMac G5 isn't just any desktop. It's relatively lightweight and its shape is conducive to occasional transport. It is therefore pretty intuitive, or at least pretty easily inductively concluded, that there should be a case out there designed to solve this problem.

bellis1

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2003
G5 iMac Case

I have an iMac G5 20" and I recently took it on a trip and just used the box. I also used to have a 17" PB so don't jump on my back. Anyhow, I searched and searched for a case and did not find one but I contacted a company that makes custom cases mostly for musical instruments but they are very nice and we discussed making a case. I hesitated a little because of the price which was going to end up between $150-$200. If you are willing to spend that much then I think their case would be very nice. You can contact them at http://www.coloradocase.com. Good luck and let us know if you find something.

sorryiwasdreami

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 24, 2004
way out in the sticks
Rod Rod said:

Thank you Rod Rod; that is exactly what I have been looking for!!! I didn't think it was such an absurd request to ask about a bag for the imac G5 either, because it just seems obvious to me that it's portable.

...And judging from the vast array of third party creations available for apple products already, I thought it was just a matter of time until someone designed a bag for the new imac.

Thanks again; it's good to see that some are still thinking different.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
You're welcome.

There are two things I wanted to point out, addressed to the iMac G5 doubters (and not you, sorryiwasdreami):

1. Apple made a canvas carrying case for the original Macintosh from 1984.

2. The much-maligned white plastic area under the iMac G5's screen is an homage to the original Macintosh. It's not an ugly design oversight; it's an integral element of its styling. That style is literally iconic (as computer icons go, not religious ones), as the Happy Mac icon appeared on bootup until OS X did away with it.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Rod Rod said:
Willow Design used to make cases for just about every Mac from the Mac SE in 1987 up through the Power Mac G5 in 2003. Their website says they're exiting the business, but anyway they still have some closeout goods for sale, including cases for Apple desktops: http://www.willowdesign.com/Willow2004cSALE.html#AppleDesktop

Fair enough, thanks for pointing it out. If you read through my post again, you'll find that I said it was going to be hard to find a bag for what is essentially a desk top machine and tried to offer some alternative advice, admittedly not great advice but hey! I didn't say it was impossible or stupid. The fact that sorryiwasdreami did a search and couldnt find anything and that you gave a company exiting the business as an example only further proves my point.

I'm glad that you managed to find a solution to sorryiwasdreami's original query, that's great, just easy on the righteous replies.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
zen_state said:

why dont you go zen out and keep your "my way or the highway" to yourself. they have their own reasons for making their purchase decision. your username does NOT reflect your attitude, you give the "zen state" a bad connotation.

as for the poster looking for iMac gear...yes someone on ebay manufactured iMac bags for people like YOU who want to travel with their iMac...just search ebay for "iMac G5 bag" and something should pop up. as for the screen im sure the apple store will have something for a premium...but once you find out what the ingredients are you can look for something comparable somewhere else for cheap. to protect the screen, do you mean just for travel? why not use the foam cover that came with it, if you still have it.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
munkle said:
Fair enough, thanks for pointing it out. If you read through my post again, you'll find that I said it was going to be hard to find a bag for what is essentially a desk top machine and tried to offer some alternative advice, admittedly not great advice but hey! I didn't say it was impossible or stupid. The fact that sorryiwasdreami did a search and couldnt find anything and that you gave a company exiting the business as an example only further proves my point.

I'm glad that you managed to find a solution to sorryiwasdreami's original query, that's great, just easy on the righteous replies.

What you took as a "righteous" element in my post was not directed at you but rather at zen_state. You can't hold me responsible for your defensiveness.

Anyhow, Apple made similar cases for the original Mac, and they're still in business. (that's meant to be humor) :)

Apple since '79

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2004
Havertown, PA
Tenba

Tenba makes padded cases for just about any size computer. They are one of the few maufacturers whose bags meet shipper's insurance regulations. While they have yet to make one specifically for the G5 iMac, they do make them for the different cinema displays. But be aware they're not cheap.

Tenba

Bill

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Apple since '79 said:
Tenba makes padded cases for just about any size computer. They are one of the few maufacturers whose bags meet shipper's insurance regulations. While they have yet to make one specifically for the G5 iMac, they do make them for the different cinema displays. But be aware they're not cheap.

Tenba

Bill

I followed that link and the page had a picture of the iMac G5. But when you click its link, you end up on a page with a case for the iMac G4. Whoever updated the page is using the wrong image.

I wasn't aware of Tenba so thanks for bringing it to my attention. Maybe if I ever have a spare $500 I'll get the Power Mac G5 travel case.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
I kept my box, it works really well and you can't beat the price.

Though the original box won't clean the screen, I have wondered what I should use to clean the screen myself.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Xtremehkr said:
I kept my box, it works really well and you can't beat the price.

Though the original box won't clean the screen, I have wondered what I should use to clean the screen myself.

Your comment contrasts nicely with your current sig (sorry I don't know what color that is):

There is no box.

goldenmacuser

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2004
iMac Bags Are Here!

Hey Everybody, iMac Bags are finally available and I got one!!! Very high quality! Some Blimp company in Tennessee makes them.. calls it the iLugger!! Mine is black and I love it. It fits my iMac perfectly. Also meets airline carry-on standards. Here's the link, enjoy:

http://www.ilugger.com

caabeel

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2005
sorryiwasdreami said:

I just did a search for the bag and found it here also. A little cheaper it looks like:

iMac G5 Bag

Forgot to mention, shipping is free!

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
the "ilugger" seems sturdier than the 4allmemory product. but I have no idea because I don't have any first hand experience with either, let alone both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.