please share your success or failures using Amazon trade-in or Ebay Instant Sale...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Derek87, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Derek87 macrumors 6502

i hope this is a worthy thread. i was contemplating these two methods of selling my iphone 4, but i read several bad experiences where people were lowballed a counteroffer and then got a major delay in having their phone returned to them.

that scared me enough to take the other "risky" route of CL. i sold my phone successfully on CL. but even with that success, i want to hear more generally how people fair with Amazon and Ebay with their iphone 4 and 4s so i can inform my friends and also have data for future "trade up" sales of my iphones.

for eg,

the quotes i had for my 32gb AT&T iphone 4 were

- Ebay : $235
    - Amazon: 212.50

(btw, i sold mine for 285 locally, but if i knew the 235 were "guaranteed," i wouldn't have minded that price for the apparent convenience of it all)

are people really getting those values back or are they given lowball counteroffers after their phones are received due to either newfound conditions or a huge supply of phones coming into these two vendors?

thanks!

2. KisakiSama macrumors member

KisakiSama

I haven't tried Amazon, but eBay Instant Sale quoted me $200 for my 16GB iPhone 4, and that's exactly what I got. My roommate had the same experience.

3. Fusion79 macrumors 6502

I used Amazon to trade in a first generation iPad and got exactly what I was quoted. I would use the service again.

Traditional eBay (not trade in) has become so expensive that after ebay fees and PayPal fees and shipping fees it's almost not worth the risk and hassle.

4. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

I'm in the same boat. I have a 32gb iPhone 4 Factory Unlocked and eBay InstantSale is only quoting me $200. I'm pretty sure I can get a bit more but then again I don't want to ship it in only to have them say $150 or even less.

5. NoOneHitsHarder macrumors member

Just curious, lets say you sold an iPhone 4S on eBay for $300... how much in fees will be taken out by eBay PayPal etc?

6. Fusion79 macrumors 6502

ebay = 9% of the final value including any shipping charge you add = $27

PayPal= 2.9% plus $0.30 per transaction = $9

Shipping= Figure $8 - $12 on the low end to ship a phone.

So on a $300 sale you may pay almost $50 in fees.

7. megapopular macrumors 6502a

It was about $45 bucks when I sold mine for $450 last week.

8. NoOneHitsHarder macrumors member

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed description of fee's. I will try to be as helpful as you are for others on the forum :)

Your right that is ALOT of fees :(

Plus I've heard about the scammers on eBay you have to deal with as well since PayPal usually sides with the buyer on any dispute.

Thank you for your reply as well megapopular, it's always helpful to have more than one source of information :)

9. RjaylinS06 macrumors member

Do yourself a favor and just sell it for more on ebay and it will sell in the same day if its still in great condition. Got $350 for my 16 GB 4S and sold my girls 16 GB 4 for $225. No reason to take any less on this instant sale ********!

10. phinsup macrumors 6502

phinsup

I used instantsale and am very happy. Got $560 for one iphone 4s 32gb and one iphone 4 32gb. They paid what they promised and I didn't pay fees or shipping and I didn't have to deal with ebay or craigslist buyers!

11. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I used eBay instant sale to sell my iP4 16gb AT&T model the morning of Spet 14 right after I preordered, I got an offer for $210. For me, that was the sweet spot as it covered my new iP5, which in reality is what I wanted anyway!

Phone was in okay shape, but functioned great. Funny thing though I told me friend, he tried the instant sale just yesterday for the same model phone i turned in, the offer he got was $140, so the price has dropped.

But the experience was great. The entire process with shipping was about 5 days before I got the money in my PayPal!

I'd use this again in the future to sell my old phones....way easier than CL or sell outright through eBay yourself and all the fees and shipping and potential buyer hassels...!

12. Brettka7 macrumors regular