Please--someone help me with my iPhone 4 buyer's remorse

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spiderman0616, Aug 1, 2010.

1. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

For a long time, I have been an Apple hater. I grew up on Apple computers, but I got screwed by them a couple of times. (I had 2 different Macs randomly delete 2 different time sensitive projects I was working on.) However, with the iPad and iPhone 4 announcements, I had changed my tune and knew I would buy one or the other. After using both devices, I decided that the iPhone 4 was probably the coolest gadget I had ever seen in my life. I ordered one about 2 weeks after they launched, and had it in my hands 2 weeks after that. I have not been able to put my phone down since I got it. It's even more useful and entertaining than I ever imagined it would be. I'm in love with this phone, and it's definitely the best piece of electronics I have ever bought.

BUT..........then I see all the negative press about antennagate. (This is a problem I have NOT been able to recreate on my handset, even in dead spots that my old phone used to drop calls in like clockwork.) But when I see the bad press, my heart sinks. And every time someone sees me with it out in public, the conversation usually goes like this:

"Is that the new iPhone?"

"Yes"

"Are you having any antenna problems with it?"

I'm getting so sick of this. I really hope Apple releases a new set of sales numbers soon, so I can feel better about my purchase. I don't want to be treated like a leper because I have the iPhone 4. I know these things are still out of stock all over the world, and Apple can't keep up, and blah blah blah. But when the dust clears, I really hope the antenna story dies. I still haven't recreated it, and none of my friends that bought one have been able to either.

Anyone feel my pain? I need to be convinced not to return this thing--I still have two weeks left on my 30 day return period.

2. diabolic macrumors 68000

If other people's perceptions have more influence than your actual experience you should return the phone.

The next set of sales numbers will be high. The phone just launched in more countries and there were huge lines everywhere.

3. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Ok two things.

1) back up your important files regularly, you didn't get screwed over by apple you just weren't careful with important documents.

2) I really hope you are joking about this whole post. If your only concern is press then you literally have 0 problems, who cares what anyone else says.

4. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Let me give you a template so that you can avoid these conversations in the future.

"Is that the new iPhone?"

"Get away from me moron."

*annoying person slinks back to their hole.

Not that hard, and you'll feel good every time you do it.

5. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Just say the reports are over blown and enjoy the phone. Yeah, it's tiring, but it'll stop shortly.

Have thicker skin.

6. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Why would you care what other people think as long as you enjoy your phone..

7. spiderman0616 thread starter macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

1. I'm in the IT field. I have worked with computers all my life and maintain servers for a living. My paycheck comes from me making backups. So yeah--I understand how to save things and back them up.

2. I do care a little bit about being treated like a pariah because I have an iPhone 4. My uncle, who doesn't even own a cell phone and doesn't want to, even asked me if I'm having problems with it.

I'm just simply having severe buyer's remorse. I like the FaceTime stuff, I love all the apps, I love the build quality of the phone, etc. I already hate going anywhere without it after just two weeks. But the pessimist in me keeps whispering in my ear: "People are going to stop buying these, everyone is going to return them, nobody will support the iPhone 4 anymore and you will be the only one left who thinks it's a viable phone."

I just think it sucks that right when I finally get a reason to buy back into Apple, this whole scandal happens. Then again, Xbox 360s were melting down left and right and people kept buying those I guess.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

You need to view the phone as a tool not an extension of your identity.

What others say should have no meaning; all that matters is whether the phone does what you need it to do when you need it to do it. It either does so reliably enough to keep it or it doesn't.

9. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

Return it man. You will be seriously disappointed when you see a revised model in market very soon.

10. spiderman0616 thread starter macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I actually think I'll be happy if they release a revised model. I would still keep the one I have since it's not giving me any trouble. One of the things that attracted me to the iPhone is the huge user/developer community. If that community were to break down because of this stupid antenna stuff, I would be really disappointed. I want the iPhone to be back in a good light again.

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Somebody asking you a neutral question like "Are you having prolbems with your iPhone" makes you feel like a pariah? It's just normal conversation, like "Wow, that was a big storm we had yesterday, did you get caught in the rain?" It doesn't mean anything, it's not a reflection on you whether or not you got caught in the rain. Same thing with the iPhone antenna, people have heard a lot about it, they are just curious whether or not you have the antenna problem. They are just making conversation, not making a judgement on your choice of phone.

12. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

If your phone has an effect on how you perceive yourself, you have serious issues. Yikes.

Return it. For your health.

13. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

Yes, why don't you return your phone and get a hand puppet? You could make one out of an old sock.

14. spiderman0616 thread starter macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Yeah, I know. I never said my buyer's remorse was logical. :)

I also look at it as an opportunity to let people know that the antenna thing is NOT that big of a deal. I know in my mind, after having several opportunities to try all the droid phones as well as the new Galaxy phones that I still chose the best phone out there. If I returned this one and got one of those, I would not be a happy camper just based on the screen quality alone.

15. mhdena macrumors 6502

You need to GROW A PAIR :rolleyes:

16. spiderman0616 thread starter macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

No, not how I perceive myself, but rather how I perceive the equipment I use every day. I really wish I felt like I bought an iPhone 4 rather than "Apple's Vista". Come to think of it, I felt the same way when I was using the REAL Vista and having no problems with it when everyone else was harping on it.

17. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

Wow. You're really swayed that much by other people's opinions? If so, then return it. IMHO it sounds like you won't be happy either way.

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Heh. :)

There you go, look for the positive side of things!

Exactly! If I were in the market for a phone, I'd definitely get an iPhone. As it is, I'm a perfectly happy user of the iPad and iPod touch. Just keep telling anyone who asks (and also yourself) that the iPhone is the best phone for you. Just wait until Apple releases the next big thing (I'm thinking the next batch of iPods), and Antennagate will be old news. ;)

19. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

WHO CARES what anyone else thinks? I just don't understand where you are coming from.

20. spiderman0616 thread starter macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I think I would be a lot more unhappy if I returned it---I don't really like any of the alternatives nearly as much, even the EVO or the Galaxy S. I prefer my phone to at least be able to get me through the day on a charge without me having to micro manage it.

I don't think I would be able to get myself to take this thing back. I love it.

21. Autopilot638 macrumors 6502

22. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I think your post is generally a bunch of cry-baby-bulls'hit, but I do agree with you in terms of what other people say about the iPhone 4. I work at Starbucks and every other day or so, some idiot customer sees me with my phone when I'm on a break and the first thing out of their mouths is "how's the reception?"/"dropped calls yet?"/"some other media-influenced crap". I always respond honestly - "Yeah, it drops signal when I hold it like that, but honestly I don't have any problem with dropped calls, so I love it." I mean, what are you going to do? People believe what the media tells them, and if the world wants Apple to go down in flames, they'll try to turn the public against them.

On the other hand, I had my first iP4 conversion at work the other day. Some guy comes over and says is that the iPhone 4? Long story short, we have a brief convo about it and I tell him that it's my first iPhone ever, that I've used both the 3G/3GS briefly, and that the iP4 blows them out of the water. He says he's considering upgrading. I tell him how much I love the screen, that it's my favorite feature, and he says he's blown away by it too. Then I don't say anything, and in that short silence, I can feel the gears in his head turning as he watches me with my phone. Then he goes "Yeah... I might upgrade" and walks away. I'm willing to bet he's got an iP4 in his hand right now.

23. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

FAIL. Next summer is not "very soon."

24. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Why you wearing your iPhone 4 around your neck like a medallion and carrying on conversations with people on it?

I know when the original iPhone came out that people did actually ask if that was an iPhone, but I have a hard time believing the average person could tell an iPhone from a 3G from a 3GS from a iPhone 4 and then be bothered to ask about it.

Your tale of woe just does not ring true.

And it doesn't matter anyways, if it works for you it works for you. Grow some balls.

25. zeeflyboy macrumors regular

Most of the guys out here in geneva have been very interested when they see me whip out the iPhone 4 because it has only just launched now here I think, but since I also live in the UK I've had mine a couple of weeks already.

Most do say they've heard about reception problems, and ask me about it but I generally just demonstrate that it's not that big a deal... everyone loves it when I hand it over and let them have a look.

It's funny, in my company I think maybe 70% have iphones and at least 60% have mac's.... an increasing number are sporting iPads as well. So there's generally a lot of interested people!