Please suggest ~ 512GB SSD that definitely works with the MBP 15" mid'09

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arabesc, May 9, 2013.

1. arabesc macrumors newbie

Hello,

I tried to upgrade the original Hitachi 5K500 HDD with the Plextor PX-512M5P SSD and I got all those freezes, lockups and beach-balling. The system became unusable over time.
    Please, suggest ~ 512 GB (modern) SSD that will definitely work with that buggy MCP79 SATA controller. As I understand, I need a drive that could be locked to SATA-I.

Thanks.

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Lol...

Any SSD "definitely" works, unless its defective. They don't make Mac only or PC only SSDs.

I suggest a more reputable brand than Plextor though, such as;

Samsung, Crucial or Corsair.

3. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Seconded, but adding Intel and SanDisk to the mix. Intel has traditionally recieved the best marks for reliability (make sure you get their 20nm process drives), and Samsung for performance.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Seconded. Intel and SanDisk make good products.

My favs are in this order are;

1. Samsung 840 Pro
    2. Samsung 840
    3. Crucial M500
    4. Crucial M4

5. arabesc thread starter macrumors newbie

The defective is MBP mid'09, all of them. The source of that incompatibility is its buggy SATA controller that's based on the NVIDIA MCP79 chip. Don't you know that?

Why do you think that Plextor is not good enough as Crucial or Corsair?
    Their support is useless for me, but hardware is ok and very competitive.

6. arabesc thread starter macrumors newbie

I asks for a proven fact, not an opinion.
    Do you know any modern SSD that will definitely work in the MBP mid'09?
    I read that the OCZ Vertex 3 has a proprietary tool which could limit the SATA linkspeed, it helps, probably. I heard about special OWC SSD's. But I want to avoid SandForce based drives at this time, if it's possible.

7. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I would avoid SandForce based SSDs too.

But if you know all this, then why are you posting?

8. arabesc thread starter macrumors newbie

I just want to know which drives are really works without issues in the MBP mid'09.
    I'm even not sure about OCZ and OWC. All what I can say now - don't try Plextor M5P drives in the MBP mid'09. And I read many complains about other HDD's and SSD's.

9. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Why dont you either;

• Google Search and/or
    • Read SSD user reviews on Amazon.com or Newegg.com and/or
    • Keep buying SSDs until one works

Because you're clearly not listening to anything anyone is saying in here. Only way to know for SURE is if you keep trying SSDs.

10. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Then you shouldn't be recommending Corsair as a brand.

11. arabesc thread starter macrumors newbie

There are not so many people who have MBP mid'09 and tries to upgrade their drives. And people usually writes about issues, success stories are rare.
    So, I asks, it's normal. You don't think so?
    If someone have a success story, please share it here.

I do. But I still have no satisfying answer.

Are you kidding?
    Seriously, by laws in my country I can't return used device if it works, just due to incompatibility.

12. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Uhhh, their Neutron series doesn't use SandForce and is awesome. So research before you make these ignorant comments.

13. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

You know, when you start a thread to ask for help it's generally frowned upon to berate people that try to help.

14. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

That's what I was trying to articulate. Some reason my brain isn't work, again.

15. Mr MM, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2013

Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

yeah, and you shouldnt recommend intel

after a quick search I found the problem

its SF2281 + MCP79 = need of a firmware update, some companies have it, others dont. Intel doesnt have one yet, apparently

So in regards to that, any SSD that is non SF, which I wouldnt recommend to anyone except Orlandoech.com, can work.

There isnt much info aside that SF may or may not work, and one of the workarounds to that is to put the SSD from SF in the ODD bay.

So after all this, I would say grab a m500, samsung 840 pro, Corsair neutron or the OCZ vertex 4.

the plextor m5 uses the same marvell controller from the crucial m4, they differ on the firmware and the nand used.

Also plextor is a very renowned brand.

16. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Another problem with Corsair is that their firmware update process is not Mac friendly. Crucial, Plextor, Samsung, and OCZ all can be updated easily on a Mac.

17. arabesc, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2013

arabesc thread starter macrumors newbie

Just found this:
    SanDisk Extreme SSD Manual Firmware update version R211m (Mac with SATA link speed issue only)
    SanDisk forum thread.

Workaround for the OCZ "3"-series (Vertex3, Agility3 and Solid3) drives.

People asking Intel to fix issue for their SSDs. Unsuccessfully.

All of the above drives are SandForce based.

18. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

The Corsair is no harder than the Samsung. The Samsung needs to have the iso burned to a disc, then booted from. It's not hard but definitely not as easy as the OCZ.

Not saying the OCZ is good at all. I have the Samsung and love it. Just that Samsung isn't as easy as the ones with software compatible with Mac like Crucial and OCZ do.

19. arabesc thread starter macrumors newbie

A man writes that it could be the SATA-cable issue. Could anyone confirm this?

20. wedgeman macrumors newbie

did you possibly damage your harness in the installation process?

If you didn't first disconnect the battery AND fully discharge your board (prior to disconnecting the cable and drive), the cable is probably the culprit, not the SSD drive..

see this: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1147084

I've installed at least a dozen Crucial brand drives, and am running the OWC 1tb SSD in my own MBPro. have never had a standard Sata drive NOT work in a Macbook Pro, (except when a customer dragged one in after having installed themselves and having blown the harness)..

21. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

havent I told you already that its a problem with the combination of SF2281 and the mcp79?

there is nothing that impedes any other SSD nor its a hardware related problem, its a simple firmware that was written poorly as usual.

grab a m500 and be done with it

22. arabesc thread starter macrumors newbie

I changed the SSD back to the original HDD and there are no more any issues. If it's cable, then it could be a stability issue with the linkspeeds above SATA-I. My HDD is in the SATA-I mode, the SSD was connected in the SATA-II.

I think there are at least two problems:
    1. SATA linkspeed issue between SF2281 controller and the MCP79 chipset (SF firmware issue);
    2. system freezes, lockups, beachballs
    2.a in a case of incompatibility of the SATA-II or SATA-III device with the MCP79 chipset;
    2.b in a case if the SATA cable can't properly handle the SATA-II linkspeed.

That man writes about experience with the Western Digital Scorpio Black HDD. I have a similar issue with the Plextor PX-512M5P SSD, it's Marvell 88SS9187 based as the Crucial M500.

23. phoenix78 macrumors member

Currently writing this message on my mid2009.13"mbp.(5,5) running a samsung 840pro 512Gb. Enabled trim, deactivated local time machine and deactivated ram caching upon hibernation when i close my lid.

It syncs at the machines max of 3Gbps. But everything is much faster that the 7200rpm seagate i had before (which developed bad sectors and had to be replaced with the ssd). Apps load nearly instantly. Boot up time is about 17 seconds from turned off machine +-2,3 seconds.

I would get the 840 pro as it is an MLC based flash. This has supposedly much better durability that the TLC found in the 840 non-pro. There are no numbers given on durability, but based on a review test i saw on, i thin kit was anandtech, they wrote some stupid amount of data constantly to a 256GB 840 pro and it was still going strong with no issues. You wont have to worry with it. and its a 5yr warranty.

I have also noticed temps om my mac have dropped by 10C. (currently 46C now running chrome while typing this and with several other pages open and also adium) It gets warm under load but it very quickly cools down.

Get the 840 pro. Its a no-brainer.

24. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

I wasnt aware that plextor launched with the 88SS9187, sorry about that.

apparently this chipset is more annoying than what I searched for mcp97 + ssd

given that the 840 pro according to the user above works, I would go for that

25. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Corsair's firmware updates must be installed on a Windows machine though their "toolbox" software. Since Apple went to supporting AHCI with Boot Camp 5.0 on the Windows side, firmware updates can almost certainly happen. However, if you don't have or want to install Windows, this is not an option.

Samsung and Crucial drives both update the same way on a Mac, via a burned .iso file. There is no difference. As a side note, Intel, SanDisk, and Plextor drives operate the same way.

OCZ's is arguably the most "difficult" of the Mac-friendly drives to update because you have to use their toolbox software. You download and "burn" it to a USB flash drive. To perform an update, you must use a wired/Ethernet connection and a USB mouse. The payoff, though, is that it is much easier to perform a SATA secure erase of the drive than it would be on any other brand. With my Crucial M500, I have to hook it up to my external USB 2.0 hard drive dock, use a gparted live CD, and enter a whole bunch of terminal commands in order to do a proper secure erase. With the OCZ, it was literally 2 or 3 clicks via a GUI.