Please talk me into/out of selling my 13" Macbook White and buying a 13" Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tonedef407, Feb 5, 2010.

  1. tonedef407 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2009
    #1
    Hey guys. About a year ago I bought a 13" Non-Unibody Macbook White 2.0 ghz. Upgraded it to 4gb of Ram and a 320gb hdd. Love it runs great. I just bought Applecare for it before the year ends,but hesitated before activating it. With my tax refund,I am debating about upgrading to the 2.26ghz 13" Macbook Pro and selling my Whitebook. Do you think this will be a worthy upgrade or should I stick with what I have? Thanks in advance
     
  2. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

    patrickdunn

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2009
    Location:
    St. Louis, MO
    #2
    I'd stick it out. Wait for a bigger spec bump.
     
  3. bsblvnv macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2010
    Location:
    Las Vegas
    #3
    I agree. The new ones will probably be announced next month.
     
  4. tonedef407 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2009
    #4
    I guess my main questions are,is it even worth it to upgrade to the pro? I missed out on the Unibody Whitbook which sucks,but mine is still a great computer. Processor speed is plenty for me. I do like the attraction of the Aluminum,glass trackpad,and better screen though.
     
  5. ARF900 macrumors 65816

    ARF900

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2009
    #5
    It really depends, but first of all, you should wait for a spec bump, I have been telling people to buy MBPs now, but in your case you have a perfectly good machine, so you should wait for the upgrade.

    As far as whether to sell it, it depends on your financial situation, and your use of the machine, for basic web browsing, stick with what youve got, but if you want want something lighter, more powerfull, better screen, multitouch trackpad, backlit keyboard ect... and you can afford it, go for the MBP. But since you are content with what you have, wait for upgrade, if for no other reason than to up the resale value.
     
  6. RealaT macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2008
    #6
    I think you'd be better off getting some more use out of your current MacBook and wait until the spec increase is bigger before upgrading.

    At the moment, you're only really looking at a 10%-ish increase in processor speed, a nicer trackpad, an sd card reader, and an aluminium shell. Not really worth the time and cost of doing an upgrade quite yet.
     
  7. tonedef407 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2009
    #7
    Yea I think you may be right. I'll probably just put some money aside here and there for the bigger better MBP. The 13" might not be worth the upgrade at this point. I think I was just being lured by the aluminum. :eek:
     
  8. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2005
    #8
    If you run Windows regularly, it might be worth the upgrade. I had the same machine that you have now, and it had some speed issues with Windows (along with the horrific battery drain when running Windows in Boot Camp).

    I just got a new 13" MBP (2.53) and although I don't see too much of a difference in OSX (except for graphics speed of course), Windows is much speeder on this machine, and the battery lasts almost as long in Windows as it does in OSX (I get about 80% of the OSX time in Windows).
     
  9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

    mrsir2009

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2009
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia
  10. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2010
    #10
    Agree...stick with what you have...specs jump not worth it
     
  11. icec0ld macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2006
    #11
    fwiw. i actually DOWNGRADED from my 15" mbp unibody (latest one) to the 13" plastic white unibody. LOVING it. just need to buy some ram but i definitely appreciate the extra cash in my pocket!
     
  12. CP123 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2008
    #12
    I bought the Blackbook in March 2008, and turned around and bought the 15" MBP in July 2009. I love the MBP and needed it for business. However, if push came to shove I could have kept the Blackbook and survived. You should really think hard about it. Either way you can't go wrong.
     
  13. Pax macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2003
    #13
    +1

    I bought a 13 uMBP to upgrade from a 2006 Whitebook. Not much in it. It's a bit "better" in lots of areas like build quality, LCD, battery life. But overall there are no huge differences. Not worth $$$$$.
    I'd stick with your Whitebook.
     

Share This Page