Please tell me exactly how Tether works.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by moonman239, May 2, 2013.

1. moonman239 macrumors 68000

I don't want to know how to set it up. What I want to know is how an HTML5 Webapp could possibly pull data from the Internet over a carrier's network and send it to a laptop.

2. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

:D I get it!

Anyways, I found a question on Quora.com in which the author asked the same question. According to answerer Rufo Sanchez, when your iPhone is connected to a wireless router that is not connected to the Internet, your iPhone will use your cellular data connection. The phone will allow any program, including Webpages, to send data to and receive data from any wireless device that is connected to the same WiFi network.

3. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

The same way your computer pulls data from your ISP.

It's pulling the data from the cell tower and pushing it over WiFi / Bluetooth / USB to your computer.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Well, I can pretty much guarantee it doesn't work this way out of the box. If you are connected to wifi and try to pull something up in safari, it's going to tell you no data connection. Likewise, anything else connected to said wifi will give you the same error.

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

What if you are on the road and there is ZERO WIFI, you wanto access the Internet through your phone but going to the laptop's browser. Is that tethering?

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

http://tether.com/blog
    That's as much detail as there seems to be available. With a quick Google search anyway.