Please tell me this is not true ("Clinton Announces Response Time for Nuclear Launch During Debate")

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Oct 20, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

she was stupid enough to say such a thing. still I don't think it matters much.

2. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

You do realise this is complete bollocks,the public don't know response times in case of nuclear attack (certainly not the public of the two main protaginists).There have been several near incidents one by the US seeing the moon rising above the Artic and one by the Soviets having a computer hiccup for instance.The public perception of the British submarine going all out nuclear retaliation in the case that they can't hear Radio four broadcasting for 24 hours is similar bollocks.The great danger is overreaction to sig intel and not response times.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It's true, she said it. It was hardly a state secret. Common knowledge for a long time. I'm sure since it made it here, it's being pushed by the right wing as their scandal d`jour.

4. daflake macrumors 6502a

daflake

Actually it does matter because this is the exact same crap with not knowing what is classified and what is not. She is an idiot and will be a disaster for national security.

Powell was right... She ****s everything up with hubris.

5. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

I have no idea why she even made the comment to begin with.

6. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Hillary messed up badly ..... That four minute window is enough time for ninja assassins to kill the ones responsible for launching the nukes. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

She was explaining the danger of putting an emotional and intellectual wreck like Donald "3 a.m. tweet" Trump in charge of our nuclear arsenal.

8. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

It was stupid of her to even bother making said comment. With that, that info will be basic knowledge to any nuclear superpower already. To the avg Joe Blow, the info is meaningless and irrelevant.

Here's snopes take on it.

http://www.snopes.com/clinton-four-minute-nuclear/

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

10. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

I mean if you watch a discovery channel video about "secrets of the United States" or "top secret responsibilities of the president" types of documentaries you will get the same information and could have of for many years. What she said is not new, I knew the time and the codes that are in the briefcase that follows her are how the information is relayed. Also, our automatic missile response time was once quoted in a vice article about how unrest in Estonia could lead to nuclear arms being fired.

In all, hardly a secret and anyone making it out as one needs a new hobby and a better grasp on reality.

11. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

It can also be seen as a veiled threat deterrent to our enemies. You launch something at us, you basically know you have 4 minutes left before your homeland becomes dust.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Now if she had disclosed how long she would take between being told about a casus belli and actually acting on it, that would be far more important information. One might hope that a proper, responsible analysis of the options might add a few minutes extra to the response time.

13. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

if I recall correctly we even have automatic missile protection systems where if we detect a nuclear missile it will deflect it with in 90 seconds of detection. These systems then alert all commands and we decide if we want to lob one back over.
    Hopefully I don't get black bagged for knowing 'soooooo top secret info' /s.

14. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

16. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

17. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

>waits on payment from Mexico

18. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Kind of amazing that the process to end the World only takes 4 minutes to get off the ground. So 4 minutes from order to launch, rough guess at 3 for others to notice launch, then 4-10 minutes to launch retaliatory strike. At that point our missiles are anywhere from 2 minutes to 17 minutes away. Retaliatory launch takes 30 minutes to hit US. 34 minutes and the World forever changes, full strike and only cockroaches and government survives, but I repeated myself there.

19. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Which has nothing to do with what she said.

20. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

That four minutes as I've said is bollocks whatever it is (and it's longer than four minutes) is of no consequence the fact is both protagonists can survive an initial attack and still destroy their opponents.This is without taking into account the likes of the Brits,French,Israelis,Indians,Pakistanis and the Chinese which will all be tempted to launch on the off chance.The Israelis even have a well established plan the "Samson Option".

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You didn't get that?

Four minutes for this emotional wreck of a human being to decide the world's fate.

I clearly did.

22. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

I meant it wasn't needed for her to make her point ... which in reality wasn't even a point it was just more pointless attacks. That's what made up most of the debate ... two children flinging insults at each other.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Sounds like something someone on the losing side would say.