Pleased to Meat You - Would You Eat Synthesized Meat Product?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cleverboy, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...n-wins-major-design-competition.html?ITO=1490
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkioqNv3PgY&feature=player_embedded
    http://www.switched.com/2009/09/26/device-that-grows-meat-in-your-kitchen-wins-design-prize/

~ CB

2. 7031 macrumors 6502

This does sound like a pretty good idea in my opinion, and I think it would be great if such a thing did take off, but would this mean that all meat would essentially be a clone of the next piece? That is, no variation?

I am a vegetarian, and to be honest I probably still wouldn't eat this, but I would like to see this take off, and if I was not a vegetarian, I probably would eat this anyway, since one would assume that this is pretty much exactly the same as any other meat, without the killing part.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I this went mainstream then McDonalds would save a ton of money having this! :p But really, if this became 'the way' then I suspect I would become a vegitarian. I couldn't see benefits of eating meat like this and I think certain nutrients are impossible to clone, or would be rather.

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I'd probably give eating synthetic meat some consideration. I'm vegetarian for reasons of animal exploitation and suffering and environmental benefit so this could be fine. One thing that would give me pause would be if it was highly resource dependent. For instance in vitro tissue culture uses lots of power for incubators and water and nutrients so it might be a rather wasteful approach.

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

As long as this "lab meat" was a known item, and a choice among many, I don't see a problem for me. In one sense, "Meat's meat." But I like variety in the flavor of the meats I eat. I like venison, which is different from elk, which is different from cow--and there's variety among cows. I like pork roast as well as sausage and bacon. Same for chickens, quail, doves and turkeys.

Hey, salami and swiss on rye with Fritos and a Shiner Bock? Some basic food groups, right there.

From the movie "Auntie Mame": "Life is a banquet. I won't settle for a cold lettuce sandwich."

Technical question: How ya gonna give it some exercise, so it doesn't come out with a mush-like consistency? Meat-flavored custard doesn't sound like anything worthwhile.

'Rat

7. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't touch it. I'd probably just go out and kill my own game and freeze it if this became the standard.

8. Pocket lint macrumors regular

Heh! Me too. And I have never even owned anything but one of those pellet-guns when I was a kid.

9. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Until such a product is actually available, I expect almost everyone to have a negative reaction. It just sounds disgusting, but if someone could be persuaded to try it once, they might change their mind if it actually produces good quality meat.

10. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I suppose you guys wouldn't eat genetically modified (read: synthesized) corn products or their derivatives either? Oh wait, you already do for almost every meal of every day.

11. Pocket lint macrumors regular

Keep in mind, though, that meat is muscle. And an artificially grown muscle won't have been used much by the - non-existant - animal.

I also can't help but think of petridish-grown cancer tumors, to be honest.

There's a difference between processed (and even genetically modified) corn products and petridish grown - "artificially" grown - corn.

And even if corn were artificially grown as the meat, it _still_ wouldn't be the same thing.

Btw, I don't eat petridish corn at every meal, and I highly doubt you do. Even if you do eat GM products.

12. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

That's true, but not necessarily an argument against synthesized meat. Animals that don't use their muscles much tend to have better, more tender meat.

13. Pocket lint macrumors regular

They still use their muscles, otherwise there wouldn't be any meat. But I do get your point, though.

Perhaps they could electrify the meat and in that way "exercise" the bowl of flesh (yuk).
    That would take care of that, although not take care of the picture of cancer tumors very vividly displayed before my inner eye.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If it tastes good I will eat it. I am not on a crusade to save animals though so it makes little difference to me.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

16. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Are they going to be able to grow brisket, shin, neck, rump, sirloin, etc? Are they going to grow it so that it has the beautiful marbling of fat that makes the good cuts 'good'? Will they be able to grow it so that the meat tastes of the food that the animal ate whilst it was alive?

Or are we heading towards a horrible dystopian future where food ("meat", "vegetable", etc.) is solely about nutrients? If so, kill me now!

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

No, I'm gravely worried about what we eat and the rapidly declining amount of biodiversity in our interactions with the planet.

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Get your soylant green here!

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

As long as I can get my prime rib tender and so rare that it's still mooing, I don't care if it was grown :D

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

This is an interesting point, although I'd tend to think that such a production might actually remove the pressure on many of our current food-stuffs. There would be less interest in cheap corn, for example, and thus maybe farming could be redirected towards growing a wider variety of plants for direct human consumption rather than feeding it to the cows to make beef.

21. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

You could get meat without the suffering of animals. I don't see how this could possibly be a negative thing, ethically.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'd HIGHLY suggest reading a book called "the sacred balance" by David Sazuki. It gave me a good eye opener to how interconnected we are and how many of the practices that help people in the short term are setting us up for a major disaster long term. GREAT book, even if its just to get a different perspective on our role in the ecosystem.

23. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

While we're pimping books The Ethics of What We Eat by Peter Singer is also an interesting reflection on our food choices and their impact :).

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'll try to get ahold of that, thanks for the tip. :)

25. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It's well worth it. Singer (and another guy Jim Mason) follow a omnivorous family, a semi-vegetarian family (mostly vege with some free range meat thrown in), and a vegan family and reflect on the impact of their food choices on animals and the environment. They also do some volunteer work on factory farms to first hand report on why meat is being sourced the way it is and how detrimental it is.

I pretty much dropped milk from my diet after reading it so beware it's persuasive :)!