"Plenty"of phones at our local Apple store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MarkB786, Nov 3, 2017.

1. MarkB786 macrumors 6502a

My local Apple store has decent lines, but they are saying they have "plenty" of phones. What happened to all that scarcity talk? Was it Apple giving a script to the supply chain to give the appearance of scarcity? And the improving shipment times is also odd.

2. haqsha23 macrumors 6502a

haqsha23

3. jetlagged macrumors 6502

There about 100 people in line at this Apple store, showed up at 530 am I’m #50 in line and I managed to get 2 iPhone x 64 and 256 reserved on the spot

By the end of today iPhone x will be sold out

4. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I often think this whole thing is exaggerated. When the iPhone 6 was launched I happened to be passing an Apple store about 2pm on launch day. There was a short line and two staff members outside with a clip board. I asked them if they had stock and I had to put my name and number on the clipboard. i got a text within two minutes with a reference number waited in line an hour and got a phone. The process would have been so much quicker if everyone was just buying outright like i was and not doing contracts which seem to take so long.

5. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

People will come up with conspiracy theories either way?!

Actual supply issues - Apple is halting it to create artificial demand.

No supply issue - Apple was bluffing to create fake demand.

I mean, what the hell?! ‍♂️‍♂️

6. fathergll macrumors 65816

Obviously there was a supply issue. Why would Apple delay the X by 6 weeks from a normal iPhone launch? Apple had no shot of making a September launch for the X(which was reported over 6 months ago)

7. MarkB786 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I mentioned this in another post, that I think Apple NEEDS to have lines and the appearance of scarcity. If there are no lines, then Wall Street panics and the stock plummets. Scarcity and lines are a definite expectation Maybe scarcity is a reality, but I wouldn't put it past Apple to work things so that this scarcity stays a reality.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 3, 2017 ---
    As an update... A friend of mine who had been waiting since 4 AM said the lines are gone and they still have phones. People are walking in and making a purchase.

8. theriotsmith macrumors member

theriotsmith

is there any way to find out if the closest store has stock without actually going there?

9. AppleZombie macrumors 6502a

Online/Pre Order has taken people from standing in line.

10. Icealicy macrumors member

Anyone have information on Apple Store in Tampa. How are the lines/stock/should I attempt to go? I have an order for Nov 17 - Nov 24. Just stuck at work right now...

11. TurboPGT! Suspended

The "scarcity talk" comes from analysts that are guessing, and have no real knowledge of the supply chain.

People like Ming-Chi Kuo from KGI Securities gets seeded information about upcoming products on occasion from sources at Apple. But he knows nothing about the supply chain. His entire business revolves around guessing and predicting and selling those guesses and predictions. He makes no distinction is his claims about what comes from a source and what is a guess.

I don't understand how people haven't learned this, specifically, yet: Guesses about Apple's supply chain are always wrong.

12. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Sauntered into my local Verizon this morning, they had 30 of them. Not a big store by any means. No one in line, only 2 other people in the store looking at other things. I walked out with one instead of waiting for the shipping times (which Apple keeps shortening).

13. TurboPGT! Suspended

No, this is just amateur nonsense that is in no way reality. Apple has done everything it can to avoid the lines in recent years. When a line does form, they hand out reservations, or tell people to leave. Ask anyone in Apple retail. Ask the retail chief herself. Apple does everything it can to mitigate lines, not create them.

14. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

I can't speak for all countries, but stock doesn't appear to be very good outside of the US... At my store it was "Space Grey 64gb, take it or leave it" and many people left empty-handed before the store even opened.

15. Ayemerica macrumors 65816

Ayemerica

16. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

About 150-200 lined up at the Waterloo Apple Store - they only had 40-50 64GB Space Grey. All of the people at the front took two each.

Every Canadian store I've heard of only had about the same number....yet the American stores got hundreds.

All the Apple love is for those in the US.

17. democracyrules macrumors 6502a

Glad to hear bountiful availability. Hope that this type of launch could continue in all future iPhone generations.

18. andrewduff415 macrumors member

Have you seen the sales? clearly there is demand for the phone. Apple has never made so much money in one quarter before.

19. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

The X is scarce (in other words, more demand than supply) but it's all a matter of degree.

Apple has had some very bad availability in past launches (think Jet Black 7 Plus or AirPods) and maybe that's gotten us a little too pessimistic. This sounds like more of a normal launch.

Also I think iPhone X high demand will sustain longer than we might expect. From all the debates on MacRumors, it seems a lot of people held off to see how well FaceID and the OLED display performed in person. Once they see friends with one, I think many will bite.

20. ACST Suspended

That quarter ended 30 september, before the iPhone X release.

21. mrvirginia, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017

mrvirginia macrumors regular

I don't think it's nearly as popular as the hype has suggested in regards to selling out...

Edit: I just meant that a lot of people have been able to walk into a store and walk out with an iPhone X

22. az431 macrumors 65816

az431

I’ve been ordering launch day iPhones every year since the first iPhone. This is the first year I did not get it, and instead ended up with 11-17 to 11-24.

23. knihc2008 macrumors member

Apple Michigan Ave store, there were at least 300-400 people lined up and staff were saying that the line would not even hit half of what they had in the back.

24. Spacedementia87 macrumors newbie

Spacedementia87

Lol. This is so true

25. Jimpilot macrumors 6502a

Jimpilot

I wonder if they were able to solve yield problems earlier than reported and were able to create a lot more phones than reported. Remember Apple never said anything, it was all the experts who were saying there would be short supply

Come to think of it where are all the "experts" who were posting all over these forums that if you didn't get a phone in the first minute you would have to wait until next year. They seem to have gone silent. ;)