Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
Making an effort to switch to Plex from years of using iTunes Home Sharing. All my DVD and Blueray rips have been meticulously had metadata and artwork added etc. and as a family the #1 we search for movies is by Genre, it particular the kids know to stay to their "Kids & Family" genre. I want to take advantage of the beautiful interface and online streaming options with Plex for the Apple TV 4th gen but I've run into an issue.

With Plex there is a "deep" buried submenu to get the genres which is less than ideal. Is there anyway to have genres, or at least one genre (Kids & Family) appear as a "folder" or option on the menu Plex menu? As it stands now Plex is far more beautiful but I fear much more difficult to use for my younger kids...

Thanks!

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
i haven't used it yet, but Plex has a feature so each member of the family can have their own sub-account.
so you could make an account for the kids that only has their content on it.

you'll probably have better luck getting an answer in the Plex forums than you will here
https://forums.plex.tv

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
What I do is simply to have a folder with all the kids movies, which is then presented on the Plex home screen. Very easy.

You can add folders to your hearts desire.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
What I do is simply to have a folder with all the kids movies, which is then presented on the Plex home screen. Very easy.

You can add folders to your hearts desire.

I saw that, downside is I have been adding movies (500+) to iTunes over the years and iTunes keeps the folder organized. I pointed Plex at the iTunes movie folder and it worked like a charm. The problem is I hate to have to reorganize it myself AND potentially mess up the iTunes system in the event I want to go back or use both.

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
As far as I can tell the customization options in the ATV Plex app are very limited - apparently they only had 5 weeks to code the app in order to get it in the store at launch, so when viewed through that lense it's actually very impressive how much it does do. I'm hoping for frequent updates from the Plex team to add more functionality. You should definitely use the Plex forum to give feedback.

xsmett

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2015
As far as I can tell the customization options in the ATV Plex app are very limited - apparently they only had 5 weeks to code the app in order to get it in the store at launch, so when viewed through that lense it's actually very impressive how much it does do. I'm hoping for frequent updates from the Plex team to add more functionality. You should definitely use the Plex forum to give feedback.
Im a lot more impressed by the work from the guy who made the simpleX app avaiable at day one. He is on its own and doesnt has a huge team in the background.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I saw that, downside is I have been adding movies (500+) to iTunes over the years and iTunes keeps the folder organized. I pointed Plex at the iTunes movie folder and it worked like a charm. The problem is I hate to have to reorganize it myself AND potentially mess up the iTunes system in the event I want to go back or use both.
Spend 5 minutes dragging kids movies to a seperate folder? It really isnt that much of an issue.

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
If you have Plex Pass, you can have multiple accounts within Plex.

You can then set in Plex Media Server what content rating (PG-13 etc) certain accounts are allowed access to. You can also limit it to what "Labels" they are allowed access to. By labels, you can tag movies with certain labels (you can batch select and edit at once, so it isn't that painstaking for a library your size), which will then show up in their Movies folder.

I've done what was suggested further up regarding separate folders, although Plex refers to it as a library, it essentially just points to another folder, so I have Movies & Family Movies, the latter gets all the Pixar and Disney and anything else that fits that bill dumped in it. Means if he goes on a rampage clicking he ain't gonna end up watching some ultra violent gangster flick or anything else he shouldn't be watching.
But, what I mentioned in the 2nd paragraph will easily cover that for you. Outside that of that, SOL.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
If your sharing your movies with other people ,as a free plex member you can add them as friends and they can stream your movies

What is different with plex pass multi user feature ?

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
If your sharing your movies with other people ,as a free plex member you can add them as friends and they can stream your movies

What is different with plex pass multi user feature ?

See previous post;

If you have Plex Pass, you can have multiple accounts within Plex.

You can then set in Plex Media Server what content rating (PG-13 etc) certain accounts are allowed access to. You can also limit it to what "Labels" they are allowed access to. By labels, you can tag movies with certain labels (you can batch select and edit at once, so it isn't that painstaking for a library your size), which will then show up in their Movies folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.