Plot Thickens: Trump's Lawyers Knew About Emails 3 Weeks Ago

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Jul 13, 2017.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sources-trump-lawyers-knew-russia-emails-back-june-000320831.html

I bolded something that answers a question in another thread...

WASHINGTON — President Trump’s legal team was informed more than three weeks ago about the email chain arranging a June 2016 meeting between his son Donald Jr. and a Kremlin-connected lawyer, two sources familiar with the handling of the matter told Yahoo News.

Trump repeated that assertion in a talk with reporters on Air Force One on his way to Paris Wednesday night. “I only heard about it two or three days ago,” he said, according to a transcript of his talk, when asked about the meeting with Veselnitskaya at Trump Tower in June 2016 attended by Donald Trump Jr., Paul Manafort, then Trump’s campaign chief, and Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner.

But the sources told Yahoo News that Marc Kasowitz, the president’s chief lawyer in the Russia investigation, and Alan Garten, executive vice president and chief legal officer of the Trump Organization, were both informed about the emails in the third week of June, after they were discovered by lawyers for Kushner, who is now a senior White House official.

The discovery of the emails prompted Kushner to amend his security clearance form to reflect the meeting, which he had failed to report when he originally sought clearance for his White House job. That revision — his second — to the so-called SF-86, was done on June 21. Kushner made the change even though there were questions among his lawyers whether the meeting had to be reported, given that there was no clear evidence that Veselnitskaya was a government official. The change to the security form prompted the FBI to question Kushner on June 23, the second time he was interviewed by agents about his security clearance, the sources said.

But the information that Trump’s lawyers were told about the emails in June raises questions about why they would not have immediately informed the president. Trump’s campaign is under investigation by special counsel Robert Mueller into possible collusion with Russian government officials. The emails appear to be the first hard evidence of contacts between top campaign officials and someone connected to the Kremlin.

A spokesman for Kasowitz declined to comment, saying the matter involved “privileged information.” Garten did not respond to an email request for comment.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

3. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

You didn't read the article did you?

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

It's from June last year , he was investigated by the FBI. Same FBI who said there was no collusion.

5. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

So no.. you didn't read it. The article is from Today and references the emails from June 2016 currently in the news.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

They are reporting today what the FBI learned from June last year.......

7. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

No they are not. This is about the lawyers knowing three weeks ago about the June 2016 email exchange. What part is confusing you?

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Lawyers knowing is irrelevant. The FBI is what matters.

9. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Says you :) . I'll wait and see what happens. It certainly doesn't look good for Jared and the timing of his form changing. In fact - it LOOKS bad.

10. darksithpro, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017

darksithpro macrumors regular

I'm pretty confident the incoming Director will be happy to DIG into it, among other things he's going to be VERY interested to DIG into.;):cool:

11. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Maybe the lawyers hid this info from the boss. Seems to be the trendy thing to do:

• Son-in-law Jarred doesn't tell Trump
    • Paul Manafort doesn't tell Trump.
    • Trump's own son doesn't tell Trump
    • Apparently those Russian friends didn't tell Trump (unless something comes out later about that!)
    And now Trump's lawyers? Wow...and here I thought Mike Pence was the only one vastly out of the loop. :D

12. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

You do realize that it's Mueller that will be looking into this, right?

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

says you :p

14. daflake macrumors 6502a

15. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

But but JK's contusion!

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

stitches, I got stitches

[​IMG]

17. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

ACA, don't leave your kitchen without it.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I have kaiser, with about 1/5th less in out of pocket cost than the unaffordable care act :D

19. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

He might need to later repeal and replace those stitches.

20. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

Maybe it's for plausible deniability?

So he won't be lying when he says "I can't recall" and "I don't know" :D

21. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Here are the facts, as we know them today, which I don't think anyone can dispute:
    - The meeting occurred in June 2016.
    - The meeting attendees were Trump Jr., Kushner, and Manaford, and Russian lawyer Veselnitskaya.
    - The meeting request was initiated by Veselnitskaya.
    - The genesis of the meeting was to deliver dirt on Hillary Clinton.
    - Veselnitskaya also offered to forward the information to Trump's assistant, Rhona.

Here is the speculation:
    - I do not for one second believe Trump didn't know about this communication and planned meeting as soon as Veselnitskaya sent the email. If someone is promising to hand over dirt on Clinton on a silver platter, Kushner, Manaford, and Trump Junior were tripping over themselves to be the first to tell Trump.
    - The fact that Veselnitskaya spoke to casually about Rhona on a first name basis indicates this was not the first time she dealt with the Trump crew.

Here are some more facts:
    - Hundreds of times in late 2016 and throughout 2017 until now, Trump and his team denied that any meeting with anyone related to Russia ever took place. Today we know all these denials were falsehoods.

Questions:
    - Why did Trump and Trump's crew lie about this meeting for an entire year?
    - They were asked about meetings with Russia or Russian representatives hundreds of times. If they did all truly have amnesia and forget, wouldn't the questions cause them to go back and check their calendars and records?
    - What were they trying to hide by lying?
    - What does Rhona know? When did she know it? And when or what did she tell Trump? Everyone that has worked with Trump says the way to get Trump's ear is through Rhona.

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

on the 21'st, there are stitches that dissolve but these are not that kind :(

23. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Almost sounds like A Few Good Men.

Trump may have given the OK to do whatever was necc - but "don't tell me" - I don't want to know - just get it done.

And the rest...

24. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yah jk needs to get a hard hat for when he's at home. Or reform some of his posting adventures.

Maybe. I am sure they all wanted to get eventual credit from Papa Don for the "find". Would be interesting to know if any of them actually thought about keeping the look-see off the candidate's radar, at least initially. That would have been the professional thing, no matter who was making an oppo offer. Find out who the players are. After all, dirty tricks abound in politics. But these guys were apparently pretty excited about the prospect of making a big score for the team.

25. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Do us all a favor, and read the article.

Donald Trump's lawyers knew three weeks ago about the chain of e-mails that suggests Donald Jr. intended to meet with a Russian agent to get damaging information on Hillary Clinton.

And yet as recently as last week, Trump Senior was claiming nothing of the sort happened.