Pls help with my ETF Ipohne 5 math

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shortduck, Oct 4, 2012.

1. shortduck macrumors newbie

Hello

Summary : I am on ATT for last 4 year. I have eligible for upgrade. I have been thinking for going to Straight Talk now.

If I order Iphone 5 and pay the ETF, it will cost me:

IPhone 5 cost : 200
    +ETF : 325-10 (1 month service) = 315
    +some days of usage service say

So it will be: 200+315 = 515.00++

But If I stay with ATT will have to pay : $15 data plan X 12 months X 2 years = 360. Total will be : 200+360 = 560.

So it will be cheaper to do a EFT and move to Straight Talk.

and Yes, ATT will waive off my activation fee. I am on a family plan of 550.

Thanks

2. forcetactic macrumors 6502

You also have to factor in the tax of phone for both calculations and 1 month + few days worth of service before you can pay ETF

3. articulatefool macrumors regular

Phone price + tax on phone + upgrade/activation fee + 1 month service + taxes on service + ETF

199 + 13.93 + 36 + 90 + 10 + 350 = 698.93

Most cancellations take place at the end of the current billing cycle so you will be charged the entire first month's service at the least.

4. shortduck thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies, I will using the service so that's not a problem for me. I am paying that anyways since I am using it.

But do you agree that's its much cheaper to buy from ebay ?

5. articulatefool macrumors regular

Price isn't the only factor.

Risk is the major factor here. A phone from eBay may have been stolen or purchased under a contract that may go delinquent. Both of these would lead to a blacklisted IMEI number which would reduced the resale value of the phone and make getting service troublesome.

Knowing the phone is clean holds a lot of value. Plus not having to deal with shipping, tracking, insurance, etc...