Plus users would you be ok with 5.1 inch of usable screen on possible OLED iPhone 8

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, Feb 18, 2017.

1. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

With rumours of a 5.8 inch iPhone 8 that may only have 5.1 inch usable screen would you still upgrade for the new features if it means you get less screen that you can use?

2. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Will the phone look like the iPhone 6/6s/7?

If so, no.

3. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors P6

The Game 161

Clearly it won't seeing as it will be glass back, bezel less and no home button

4. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Less bezels? Great. Just make sure I can hold it firmly at hand. 5.1 or 5.5, both are okay for me. I still prefer large phone though.

5. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Then yes. I will upgrade, assuming of course that it looks good - which I expect it will.

I'm ok with the difference between the size of the device and the actual usable screen size.

6. Tycho24 Suspended

Tycho24

The much much much bigger question is whether people coming from the vastly more popular 4.7" phone are ok with it...

7. m4v3r1ck, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017

m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

I'm still very happy - despite my issue with the new iOS 10.2.1 and 'battery-gate' I'm experiencing - with my iPhone 6 Plus.

I upgraded from a 4, so I was very happy with the much larger screen. I must confess that without the great Mophie Juice Pack add-on I would not have bought it. I really like the firmness and solid feel-in-the-hand of the case I'm holding right now. Of course the extra battery is 100% need-to-have too.

Without the MJP the iPhone is much to slippery on hand to my liking!

Can't wait for the FINAL specs of the iPhone 8 (S or Plus) to roll into my mailbox.

Cheers

8. tkwlee macrumors member

Not OK. But still prefer a small phone choice with 5.5 inch usable screen. No need a 6 inch screen. Too big.

9. rugmankc macrumors 68000

rugmankc

I watch a lot of Movies. Do not want a smaller screen. If my 6s Plus starts dieing, may have to get a deal on a 7 Plus.

10. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

Probably not. But I'd have to see the phone and it would be hard for me to use another phone. So I'd probably have to put up with it.

11. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

Hell to the no!

Now if it was 5.8in usable then I'd be all over it!:D

12. Deacon-Blues macrumors 6502a

Deacon-Blues

I like 5.5". I really don't want to go smaller. I'd love it if they could fit a bigger screen onto the 7 Plus form factor, maybe with less bezel at the top and bottom. I wouldn't want to carry a bigger phone though. Anything bigger is going to be impractical to carry.

13. macTW Suspended

The rumor actually was the 4.8" phone, same size as 6/7, but larger screen.

14. Vexxx macrumors member

It would be great if that button area could be hidden e.g. by swiping down to get the whole 5.8 into use.

15. borgsauce macrumors regular

borgsauce

I don't care just slap an apple logo on it and my money is for the taking.

16. Dave245 macrumors 603

Dave245

Yes I'm ok with it, from what I've read so far it seems as tho the lower part of the device will have a Touch Bar like area reserved for certain buttons, wouldn't it be great if you could customise them like on the MacBook Pro Touch Bar. But from what I've read it's sounding like it will be a great device.

17. FunkyTang macrumors 6502a

5.5" all screen is what we want. And the same resolution as the plus.

18. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

19. wolfedude88 macrumors 6502

wolfedude88

? The rumors are of a 5.8" screen with only 5.1" something being fully useable and it's in the size of the 6/7. Haven't seen anything saying 4.8"

20. downtherabbithole macrumors member

downtherabbithole

I could get used to it but I much prefer the Plus screen size over the regular now so the other features would have to be killer to entice me. The smart thing to do would surely be to have the Plus size with no bezel then it would clearly be the top model, right now Plus fans like me are in two minds. A 5.1" with no bezel is relatively small anyway so I am hoping they go bigger.

21. nutriousmitten macrumors regular

If Apple could increase the screen scaling/density (ideally have it as a user adjustable setting) by a factor (ie makes icons, text etc a little bit smaller so as to fit more on the screen), you may get the 5.1" screen to show the same amount of info as the current 5.5 screen, all in a 4.7 body. Win/win/win if you're not looking to give up the content of a larger screen.

I don't know of anyone who likes the physical size of their Iphone 6 or 7 Plus, they put up with it but don't like it. So besides cutting the bezels down, if you could have just as much info on the screen as the current Plus models and reduce the physical size of the device by a massive 0.8" diagonally, that would be huge.

I have a Note 5 and Samsung increased the screen density over the Note 4 and it made a big difference (in addition to shaving some of the bezels) to the look and how much was displayed. I see Samsung phones (S7) in retail mode in stores with this option not turned on, and the icons look comically big.

22. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors P6

The Game 161

That's what I'm hoping where you can still view pages in the full 5.8 inch display

23. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Nope. I'm already used to 5.5 and would not want to go down, that being said I'm a sucker for new tech so if the rumors are true I'll probably still end up buying it.:(

24. Apple 26.2 macrumors 6502a

Apple 26.2

I, for one, hope that the premium iPhone 8 isn't a phablet.

25. tkwlee macrumors member

IMG_8188.JPG

Honestly, a 5.15 inch size screen may not be that bad. On the right hand size is a 5.2 inch size screen. On the left hand side, it is a 5.5 inch screen. Do you think it is too small?

But if iPhone 8 has no long distance wireless charging, it will be a real disappointment to me.