Plz help Ram Problem QuickLookUIservice Beta 10.13

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by dan9700, Jul 16, 2017.

1. dan9700 macrumors 65816

dan9700

Plz can someone help I have the maxed out 2017 MacBook Pro and with the new high siiera beta 3 my ram keeps getting maxed out and this is the problem QuickLookUIservice is it safe to close it and it just keeps coming back, what is it and is it a beta problem cos it seems to be making my machine slow and eats so much ram up, look at the pics

many thanks

Attached Files:

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

The only help I can offer is to ask if you have reported it to Apple yet ...

3. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

So, you had a few questions there...

1) Is it safe to close it? – Yes it is. However, in my experiences with the beta, it hasn't been responding properly to SIGTERM and I've had to send it SIGKILL (signal 9).

2) What is it? – So you know how when you select a file in the Finder and click the spacebar, you then get a preview of the file? That's what this process gives.

3) Is it a beta problem? – From what I've seen, QuickLook does seem to misbehave a bit throughout the High Sierra betas. In my case, what I've experienced, is that it unnecessarily hangs attached devices.

And something you didn't ask, but I want to comment on
    4) – Whilst it's definitely more RAM usage than it should be, it really doesn't seem like that much in the grand scheme of things. From your photo it's using less than 2 gigs. On a 16 gigs machine that isn't hosing a VM or doing RAM intensive tasks that should be no sweat at all. As long as your RAM usage is less than 100% it doesn't matter how much is being used in terms of speed. Well, aside from the fact that the more active memory is in place, less can be used for intelligent caching.
    How does Memory Pressure look in Activity Monitor? If it isn't near the top in the red, I wouldn't worry about RAM.

4. dan9700 thread starter macrumors 65816

dan9700

thanks for this, yeah sometimes it stays small like the photo then if I'm using vlc etc it can go all the way up and my clean my Mac 3 says ram is used up and it uses about 10gig, it seems to be running in the background for a while like 3 hours etc.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I think one great help would be to remove (uninstall) Clean My Mac, which may not yet be fully compatible with HSierrra beta.
    Maintenance utilities that run full time make even less sense on a beta OS.

6. dan9700 thread starter macrumors 65816

dan9700

Thanks for your response to be fair it happened before i used cleanmymac and i was looking in activity to see usage and thats where i found the quickuilook takinh huge ammount of cpu and ram power

7. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

The advice given to not use Clean My Mac on beta software is entirely valid, and should be followed, albeit not relevant to the case at hand.

QuickLook is meant to be an always running process in the background, however, its impact on system performance should be incredibly small under normal circumstances. As I said, the betas so far have all seemed to have issues with QuickLook's UI server one way or another. I'm yet to experience memory leaks like you have, but frequently it interferes with disk unmounting/ejecting at times when it shouldn't, and I've even experienced it getting stuck, so I couldn't close a Quick Look window.

8. dan9700 thread starter macrumors 65816

dan9700

Point taken i deleted cleanmymac could i ask if my quick look windows in ram is so high is it safe to shut it down in activity monitor

9. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

There is no harm in shutting it down at all. Quick Look only performs read operations, so it can always be shut down with no side effects, aside from perhaps visual glitches. I've had to send it SIGKILL a few times (the harshest way of killing a process on UNIX systems).

10. ryxn macrumors regular

ryxn

I’ve experienced this problem myself since Beta 2. It happens infrequently, but every time it does I just boot up Activity Monitor and force quit it.

11. dan9700 thread starter macrumors 65816

dan9700

Yeah im doing the same, hope next beta its fixed or gonna maybe downgrade back to Sierra

12. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Just adding on that it happens on occasion with me as well. A force quit through Activity Monitor brings it back in line. I think I did have an external drive plugged in at the time that I was using Quick Look.

13. Populus macrumors 6502

Populus

High Sierra has a serious RAM issue. With a large PDF, which takes 1 or 2GB of RAM on Sierra, on High Sierra takes 12GB of RAM. Fortunately most of it compressed, but even so, my 8GB of RAM started to get yellow.

The most important question to make here is... Are we going to raise the minimum of memory RAM in High Sierra in order to have a confortable use of our machines? I'm asking this because I can return my new MacBook Pro and get a 16GB one. But I'd prefer to stay at 8GB...

Do you feel High Sierra to be more memory hungry (like it was Lion)?

14. ryxn macrumors regular

ryxn

I've noticed more memory usage - but I've attributed a lot of that to random bugs that have occurred.

For example, I experienced a bug with Calendar that required me to delete all of its cache in order for it to operate properly. Before that, my CPU and RAM usage was insane.

I think it's too early on to tell if the RAM usage is due to High Sierra simply needing more to run efficiently, or if it's all because of being a beta.

15. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

That pdf issue has been around since El Capitan, you can watch it increase as you scroll through the document. I've seen Preview hit 23 GB of memory before.

16. Populus macrumors 6502

Populus

In my Sierra Mac, that PDF grows from 300 to 600 or even 800MB. Maybe over time, 1GB.
    In the High Sierra PB2, same PDF, same system specs, same software installed, it takes 12GB from the start.

Clearly not the same.

But don't worry, I've reported it twice to Apple. Hope they read the Beta reports.