plz tell me why shoudl I buy/not buy a MBP? any other brands suggested?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arash15, Jun 27, 2010.

1. arash15 macrumors newbie

hi everybody

This is my second post in the forum. I would like to hear everyone's opinion on WHY MBP AND WHY NOT OTHER LAPTOPS.

Ur opinions will make it much easier for me to decide.

cheers,

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

OS X

If you want or are fine with Windows, save your bucks and grab a PC

3. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

what he said ^

otherwise

plz tell me why this iz a p0intless thread

4. Mac-Michael macrumors regular

This ^

5. arash15 thread starter macrumors newbie

y pointless..... This forum is to discuss things ppl have trouble figuring out and if u find it pointless nobody forced u to get involved.

6. geox macrumors newbie

MBPs makes sense for all the Apple reasons - Build Quality, OSX, iLife, multitouch trackpad, Design

15MBP makes sense. 13" MBP spec doesn't unless you want to use it as a netbook+ light work. spending spend $300 more on SSD + Optibay should more than make up for processor speeds in *most* tasks (responsiveness)

7. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

if you have to ask, just go buy a Dell Inspiron.

8. Hexero macrumors regular

Why don't just grab an insane PC with i7 quad-core, 1GB vRAM, 6GB RAM for the same price as a Macbook Pro, and install OSX on that? It is possible.

9. aethelbert macrumors 601

If you're not getting a Mac to use high-end software, there really is no other reason to do so unless for some reason you'd die without Mac OS. They are grossly overpriced right now considering what you're getting in terms of hardware.

10. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

Absolutely right, for all of the reasons you stated.

The claim that the C2D 13 inch MBP is somehow not in a class with other Macs is, not to put too fine a point on it, misguided. The current 13 inch MBP is faster and has better graphics than its predecessor. Except for the occasional power user, who runs a bunch of processor intensive apps, there will be little or no apparent difference in the perceived speed of operations of the 13 inch MBP compared to that of one of the larger i5 or i7 models. An SSD, while a nice option, is certainly not a necessity on an entry level Mac. In short, the out of the box 2.4Ghz 13 inch MBP is more than capable of doing everything all but the most demanding power user would need it to do.

11. Tim018 macrumors regular

The better operating system and software aside (my opinion), the build of the macbook pro is worth it over any brand pc laptop. After owning my mbp unibody 08 for about a year now, any standard pc laptop you pick up just doesn't feel as quality. the track pad and the keyboard on the mbp is so much better than any pc mouse/keyboard ive ever used. the track pad is sometimes faster than a legitimate mouse beacause of the gestures and how well it works. even after just a bit of using the macbook trackpad any pc trackpad will feel clumsy and slow, especially like the hp/dell ones that are sticky. the rest of the build quality of the laptop is awesome too, best design ive ever seen in a laptop.

so while it may not seem worth it before you buy it to put the extra $$ down on a macbook pro vs a pc, after just a few days of having it you will definitely understand why and its definitely worth it...

hope that helps

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Plus i3 is actually slower in single and dual-threaded tasks due its lower clock speeds thus its only benefit it when it comes to multithreaded tasks such as video encoding. C2Ds are underrated, people think iX is significant upgrade even though it in fact isn't

13. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Aside from just the Mac OS X (hopefully soon to be iOS :)) operating system, Apple computers are made to work with their portable products. The iPhone, iPad, iPods, iTunes and Safari all run better with a Mac, especially in terms of connectivity. If anyone thinks it's exactly the same using Apple's handhelds and software on a PC they are dead wrong. Everything is tied in together and you won't know it until you run a Mac. It's really hard to avoid buy more than one of Apple's products. Most people either have an iPod or an iPhone or will buy an iPad. The Mobileme service ties them together even more with the iLife suite and that experience can't be done on a PC.
    If you're not gonna have anything to do with any of Apple's handhelds ever then it's really about preference, Mac or PC. Like Hellhammer said, if you're fine with Windows buy a PC, it's no sin, but I'll never buy one. ;)

14. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Try Google. Make up your own mind, do your own research. These threads are as old as ... I don't know .. something old!

15. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

well the current MBP13 is indeed faster then last years. marginally so. its not in the same league as other 13" laptops or the MBP15/17. the c2d is old and 40% slower then an i5. but the 320m is just a so so shared ram videocard. no switching. plus the screen is worse for some reason then the 15. for EUR1150 there are better 13 inchers.

16. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

Having picked up the 13.3" 2.66 MBP last month after upgrading from the regular Macbook, and having been a PC user since PC's first came out to the mass market in the early 80's, there is nothing like a Mac and in particular the MBP.

Yes, for the same amount of money you can get a pretty killer PC laptop, but having to deal with constantly updating drivers, codecs, security patches and updates on a constant basis is a PIA. The old blue screen of death is what drove me away from PC's having so many driver issues and registry problems, not to mention lack of build quality. You really do appreciate the finer things with Apple. Besides, with Bootcamp you can still turn your Mac into a PC.

I've installed an SSD on my MBP now and besides the lack of a dual graphics card, runs programs and loads faster than the i5 MBP. Zoom zoom for a scant $270 on a 128gig SSD, and add another $99 for an MCE optibay Drive and now you can run dual drives (a 320gig HDD and a 128gig SSD). Won't run out of disk space any time soon. Whenever you need to run a DVD or CD, just plug in your old optical drive via USB. I love my setup and love my Macs.

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

personally I say this thead is worthless. The OP has failed to tell us what his/her needs are for a computer.

18. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...its just a "I'll bash a mac today thread" with out knowing what the OP's needs are...my reasons for wanting a mac were the ease of bootcamp and my need to be in a windows environment during my work day but my want to use OS X at home...

19. Bankaimadness macrumors 6502

Reasons why People buy Macs and I am pulling this out of my ***.

1. Less Viruses
    2. Build Quality-This can be a debate with personal experience and part analysis.
    3. Pretty UI and interfaces
    4. IMovies
    5. To wank their E-peens because they can spend money on expensive stuff. (Yeah I know a lot of people that does this)

Honestly, PC can do just about everything a OSX can do.

20. arash15 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone.....appreciate all the help.
    for those who want to know:
    my daily use of laptop is internet, email, multimedia, programming and thats all.
    and about doing my own research , i should say i did my research but most of the discussion are comparing old macbook with other old laptops. Thats y i come here to see what is the opinion of those who bought a mac.

cheers,

21. tflournoy95 macrumors 6502

It's pointless because this exact subject has been discussed a bazillion times before. Also this is a website for people who like apple so 99% of the time they are probably going to say go with the mbp. But really the decision comes down to your preference and your budget not what a bunch of biased people say in a forum.