Podcasts suck in iOS 5 Music player app.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mwdiers, Jun 7, 2011.

1. mwdiers macrumors newbie

The new Music player in iOS 5 is horrible for podcasts.

Everything uses an album-cover view. The only way to get a list of podcast episodes is via the album track-style pop-up. This is irritating, but I can tollerate it.

Two things, however, are deal breakers:

First, the podcast playlist is sorted in alphanumerical order. This should be in reverse feed order, oldest first, but it's not. You can no longer play a multi-episode podcast, unless the filenames are sorted that way. So, if you have a podcast with daily episodes divided into four numbered parts, for example, all the part 1s in the entire list are grouped up on top, followed by all the part 2's, etc.

Second, there is no longer any indicator that a track has been partially or fully played. if you are used to picking and choosing podcast episodes in a list, you have no way of knowing, short of a good memory, what you have already listened to.

So, here's hoping that this is all temporary, and that they just haven't programmed the Podcast-specific navigation.

2. mrholder macrumors regular

Thanks for the info. Keep us posted on the new features or lack thereof. I have one question. Can full albums be shuffled now, instead of just shuffling tracks from different albums?

3. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

you do know it is a beta with about 3 months left of development before release!

4. mwdiers thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it looks like you can now shuffle inside an album. Just click the shuffle icon while an album is playing.

5. mwdiers thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes:

I've been a beta-tester for a good long while, thank you very much (but only recently with iOS).

But I also know that it pays to squawk. In the past, Apple has been a bit boneheaded about playing podcasts. I also filed a bug report, just in case.

6. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Can you at least subscribe to podcasts now? That's the one thing that's gotten ridiculous about the iPad 14 months on and still unfixed...

7. bobright macrumors 601

So what else has been changed that sticks out?

I'm big on ratings since my music collection is a huge and use it for easily getting to my favorites - any changes as far as rating where you don't have to flip the album every time to do so?

8. amdmaxx macrumors member

I'd like to know as well.
    I hate current manual one by one wireless download..

9. huntaub macrumors newbie

I can confirm there is still no option to subscribe to podcasts. :/

10. Advil macrumors 6502a

the new music player looks a lot better, but isn't as functional as it used to be. hopefully they fix a lot of these issues prior to the final release.

11. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I use the casts app. If iOS 5 isn't as full featured I'll stick with casts.

12. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Podcasts have ways sucked in the iPod app/music player. Thank goodness for great apps like Instacast.

13. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

seriously, I stopped using the itunes app for podcast. Now the ipod app is strictly for music and sometimes video, and the podcast app i use is "Cast". Best money spent since I use it everyday and new podcast are pushed to the device showing a "red dot" on the home screen. I only sync my iphone like once a week now.

14. mwdiers thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip! Love it.

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

:confused: Isn't that exactly how it works now?