Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
So as some of you know I try to review a bunch of cases for the iPad and iPhone on my channel. Recently I got my hands on the Poetic HardBack case for the new 3rd generation iPad and I am pretty pleased with it.

It's not too bulky and not too heavy. It uses the sleep wake feature and has a magnet to keep the bottom half of your iPad in the case but when you want to put it in stand mode because of the magnet you don't have to unclip anything.

There are some improvements that can be made to it but overall as one of the first 3rd generation iPad cases out its off to a great start.

Its also under $30 (over at amazon) which is nice. Anyone else have this case? What do you guys think?

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
So as some of you know I try to review a bunch of cases for the iPad and iPhone on my channel. Recently I got my hands on the Poetic HardBack case for the new 3rd generation iPad and I am pretty pleased with it.

It's not too bulky and not too heavy. It uses the sleep wake feature and has a magnet to keep the bottom half of your iPad in the case but when you want to put it in stand mode because of the magnet you don't have to unclip anything.

There are some improvements that can be made to it but overall as one of the first 3rd generation iPad cases out its off to a great start.

Its also under $30 (over at amazon) which is nice. Anyone else have this case? What do you guys think?

My bad. Didn't see the link under of rthe review. Thanks a lot. I was looking for one. I purchased it the other day...still waiting on it to ship.

Last edited:

pbateman.as

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2011
Thanks for your review. Decided to order it and with the coupon code the price is great. Can't beat it for $12.95. Thanks again.

TheHomeRun

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
My Poetic hardback case actually arrived in the mail today. I ordered it a few days ago as a cheap case to use until I found something I really liked. I agree that there are a few things that can be improved (called them all out in the excellent review by metagamers, link in the first post) but for the price, this really is an excellent case. I think price has increased since I ordered mine, but it is still minimal compared to the rest of the field.

The Amazon reviews and the video review linked above mention slip when the case is adjusted for viewing and typing angles. I think this also is a function of the stiffness of the fabric hinge. I expect the slipping will lessen as time goes on as the hinge/fabric is broken in and there is less pressure pushing up on the area of the case above the hinge.

digiphantom

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2008
Thanks for the $10 coupon code in the YouTube video review, I just purchased this case for $12.95. This should hold me over until I can find a better case.

I just discovered that my third party smart cover left some light scruff marks on my iPad :(

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Hi, quick question do you think this case would perhaps fit with a body skin installed? Is there enough room where the clips could stretch out and it'll work or is it extremely tight fitting?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Tinknock71

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2008
Westland Michigan
I got mine off eBay works and looks nice, the only thing I dislike is the cover does not fold back completely. But it will do fine till something better comes along, always trying to find that perfect case.

NAYo2002

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2011
Thanks Rick, this should hold me over until other case makers get their act together. I'm currently using a cheap iPad 2 case and it keeps on blocking the front facing camera.

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Well I just ordered a blue one.
In case anyone is interested the coupon code has expired since yesterday and the price went up to $16.95 but it's still a great deal for what it is I think.

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I just got this case in and I have to say for the price I paid I'm very impressed with what I got.
It fits like a glove and the Magnets are very strong and you can actually feel the from close and lock via magnets.
The have case flip function is very neat but the crease is still very tight and will not stay always in the ridge when using this stand mode.
I'm sure though that this will work itself out over time though.
As was stated before the smart cover does not lay all the way flat but it actually works better that way as it gives you a nicer area to hold the iPad when in portrait.

If anyone was on the edge about this case don't, for the money it is more then excellent.

DKYang

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2010
I got the one with the hand strap for $15 with coupon promo they were having. Definitely a nice case for the price and probably similar to those in the $50 range. Of course, my opinion. Great case for the price. Probably not going to buy another folio case for awhile.

pbateman.as

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2011
Mine just arrived today and I love it. Very slim and lightweight, nice quality, the sleep/awake function works well and I like the use of the magnet to hold it in place. Thanks to Psychonaut for the review and the discount code. Can't beat it for $12.99.

batotman

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
Wish the cover would fold flat. Also wished it didn't wake my iPad up when the cover is ever so slightly moved. Its alright I guess. Definitely worth the 12 bucks it cost me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.