Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfruh

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Hi there - not sure if this is quite the right forum for this question, but it seemed to fit best, so here goes ... apologies if it isn't....

I am helping a friend of mine set up her very small (two-person) business. I will be advising her and her partner on technology issues. I am prone to advise them to get a Mac or Macs for reasons that are obvious to all of us here; however, one thing that they would definitely need would be cash register-type software (which I believe is generally referred to as "point-of-sale".) A somewhat cursory Web search has come up with some products, but the Web pages don't look terribly professional and many seem to be for specialized industries. Anyone have any experiences using a Mac as a point-of-sale terminal (among other things) that they'd like to share? Are some packages better than others?

To add some context, my friends will be running a high-end custom framing shop; thus, they'll be dealing with few high-end transactions rather than many low-end ones.

Thanks in advnace,
jf

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Re: point-of-sale software for the mac?

Originally posted by jfruh
Hi there - not sure if this is quite the right forum for this question, but it seemed to fit best, so here goes ... apologies if it isn't....

I am helping a friend of mine set up her very small (two-person) business. I will be advising her and her partner on technology issues. I am prone to advise them to get a Mac or Macs for reasons that are obvious to all of us here; however, one thing that they would definitely need would be cash register-type software (which I believe is generally referred to as "point-of-sale".) A somewhat cursory Web search has come up with some products, but the Web pages don't look terribly professional and many seem to be for specialized industries. Anyone have any experiences using a Mac as a point-of-sale terminal (among other things) that they'd like to share? Are some packages better than others?

To add some context, my friends will be running a high-end custom framing shop; thus, they'll be dealing with few high-end transactions rather than many low-end ones.

Thanks in advnace,
jf
Take a look at this Apple web page.

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
There's a store in Grand Haven MI, downtown on the strip called the harbor store, or something to that effect, they sell Marine equipment. They have a iMac as their point of sale unit and it operates a drawer automatically and everything. If you get really desperate, you could look them up in the phone book and call them.

Basically, this post proves that there are professional versions of software out there to do what you want atleast.

BEN

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.