PokéGo +iPod

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by vinny3101, Jul 12, 2016.

1. vinny3101 macrumors member

Hello! Now that Pokémon Go is out, will it work on my iPod. It is on mine already but it says that "GPS NOT FOUND". I have a iPod Touch 6. just wondering if this has happened to you. Thanks

2. rigormortis, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

Apple states the app is compatible with iPod touch. I never tried it. It probably requires you to be connected to wifi at all times to play on the iPod touch.

I connected my iPod touch to my home wifi and i was able to see the map of where my avatar was because of wifi location. I then tethered the iPod touch to the iphone , and I was able to walk around and catch a pikachu. It wasn't accurate, it was very spotty, but I was able to walk around. I just ignored the gps error. I went down like 6 houses down the street. I don't think it would work at a park without wifi hotspots to scan

Wifi requires a internet connection plus scanning the known wifi networks in your area to give you a best guess, and this best guess seems to me to be good enough to catch a pikachu.

Id say its more reliable then the TRACKR!

3. vinny3101 thread starter macrumors member

Okay, thankyou. My problem is my camera isnt on. It was on about a second and then it quit on me and just shows the map. And when I walk with wifi, it still won't turn on the camera. Do you know why?

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The iPod Touch lacks the GPS hardware to make the app work properly.

5. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Unless you use an iPhone for the GPS / location paired to your touch , it will not work.

6. Slix macrumors 6502a

Slix

Not true. I've been using the app since day one on my 6th gen touch. The app itself doesn't react well with any device with the "GPS not found" message; I've seen it on my sister's iPad mini, my iPod touch, and my friend's iPhone 6. However, I learned that if you open Control Center or Notification Center with the app still open then close it (it doesn't even need to be fully pulled up/down) it resets the GPS data (however still sometimes a little inaccurate) and the app continues to track your location.

Using it while tethered, connected via Bluetooth, makes the app work slightly better, however it still is a bit inaccurate when you aren't near wifi networks to ping off of to tell the app where you are more accurately.

Happy Pokémon-ing!

7. ackmondual macrumors 6502a

ackmondual

Huh... so you CAN play Pokémon Go on an IpT! Neat, even if not practical! I haven't heard anything this 'crazy' since a Palm OS device able to surf the internet with just IR (infrared... no Bluetooth nor wifi), and a compass app for Palm OS apps that I heard works well despite most, if not all Palm OS PDAs not having GPS (this was 1 to 2 decades ago).