'Pokémon Go' Gaining 80 New Pokémon Later This Week [Update Now Live]

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 15, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Starting later this week, popular augmented reality game Pokémon Go will gain tons of new content in the form of 80 new Pokémon that are being introduced to the game.

The Pokémon come from the Johto region in the Pokémon Silver and Pokémon Gold games, and will include both new Pokémon and new evolutions. Gender-specific variations are also being implemented.

Some Johto region Pokémon have been previously added to the game through various holiday updates and promotions, but this will be the biggest update to the Pokémon Go since it was first released last summer.

New berries are being added to the game, along with new items that are required for some of the Johto Pokémon evolutions. Both will be available from PokéStops. The berries will include the Nanab Berry, which will slow a Pokémon's movements to make it easier to catch, and the Pinap Berry, which doubles the amount of Candy received if the next capture attempt is successful.

Pokémon Go is also gaining new encounter gameplay, and Niantic says Pokémon encountered in the wild may "react in new ways" when you're attempting to catch them. A new item carousel will also allow users to select berries and Poké Balls without needing to open the backpack.

The final new feature coming this week is an expanded wardrobe and new outfit options for a player's avatar. A new selection of hats, shirts, pants, and other items are being added to the game.

Excitement for Pokémon Go has died down in the months since its release, but the game continues to have a loyal fan base and Niantic has been committed to making regular feature updates to keep players engaged.

Pokémon Go can be downloaded from the App Store at no cost. [Direct Link]

Update 4/16: The Pokémon Go update that adds 80 new Pokémon is now live.

Article Link: 'Pokémon Go' Gaining 80 New Pokémon Later This Week [Update Now Live]

2. freepomme Suspended

So many people have ditched this game. Now it's too late.

3. niploteksi macrumors regular

Pokemon is doomed and Niantic is going bankrupt...

4. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502a

My local "hotspots" for Pokémon are still pretty active with players, and the way I understand it, Niantic is still making good profits on this game. The "this game is dead" crowd are simply mistaken.

So still no trading or PvP? Meh. Give me an Umbreon then.

5. caipirina08 macrumors member

For those saying PoGo is dead: I was amazed to see how many people (and totally varied demographics) are still very actively and openly playing the game in Tokyo, Japan. Sooo many sponsored Pokestops there, you never run out of balls :) But even here in Hanoi, Vietnam, there is still a loyal fan base very active ...

I still hate that the game now reduces the audio volume of my iTunes music .. so ... need to bring an extra audio player :)

6. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

Uh, everyone knows that the plural of Pokemon is Pokemen. Whoever wrote this article don't know anything about the subject.

I grew up in Korea so I should know.

7. rudychidiac Suspended

rudychidiac

I recently completed the Pokedex, I'm very excited about this update!
    --- Post Merged, Feb 15, 2017 ---
    Pokémon fans never stopped :)

8. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502a

Not at all. Nor are individual species pluralized. One pikachu, two pikachu, three snorlax.

9. chrismail627 macrumors regular

chrismail627

Played this app for a good while (Pokedex at 127), stopped around the holiday season last year. Kinda got old. I'll definitely check it out again with this update though.

10. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

They fixed that a week or so ago... at least for me.

11. HangmanSwingset macrumors 6502

HangmanSwingset

They actually fixed the audio issue at least for me a couple weeks ago.

*EDIT* inb4'ed.

12. dwaltwhit macrumors 6502

dwaltwhit

I'm in the same boat. I think there are 3 overall types of players: the curious person who downloaded it, played it for a few days, and stopped; the pokemon fan like me and you, who played it for a long time and just drifted off from it; and the diehard who never stopped. Many from the first group may be gone for good, but group 2 may well be drawn back in.

13. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

I've really never stopped. Happy to see more Pokémon coming though. I get tired of catching/evolving the same ones all the time.

14. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68030

Mr_Brightside_@

15. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Great timing, with Spring right around the corner this might bring back a decent amount of players. Plus with the confirmed PvP battles and trading coming in Spring, they might be able to retain a solid following... Nothing even close as what they had last summer, but still a good amount.

16. Cineplex macrumors 6502a

Cineplex

I'm glad "Gender-specific variations are also being implemented."

17. CarlJ macrumors 68030

CarlJ

I've had the vague impression they've reverted this in the last update or two, but back when it was vexing me, I found you could swipe up to bring up control center, pause your audio, then unpause it, and it would return to the (non-reduced) proper volume.

18. RevTEG macrumors 6502a

RevTEG

Awesome! I just completed the North American pokedex last night! looking forward to gen 2. I've had a complete blast exploring new places with my kids the last several months.

19. sudo1996 Suspended

sudo1996

Hmm, they probably should have done this earlier. They already lost like 90% of their original players.

20. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I'm a rather casual player, so I still have yet to find some of the more rare Pokémon and gain enough candy for some evolutions. My fiancé still plays religiously though, so he'll be excited :)

21. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

That only worked for Spotify and some 3rd party apps... it didn't work for Google Music. For the Apple Music app you had to FFWD or REW within the track and you'd get your normal volume again. It was a PITA though because the second you closed out of the Pokemon Go app you had to do it again.

22. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Some of us are still playing it. I played during Christmas to get the pikachu with the Santa hat. My sister in law and her coworkers are fanatics. As is my daughter's best friend.

I never caught all of the originals yet. I'm looking forward to getting something other than the repeats I've got too many of.

23. CarlJ macrumors 68030

CarlJ

If you get enough Pikachu candies, you can evolve a Christmas Pikachu into a Christmas Raichu (though I don't know if that still works now). And just in the past week (I started on day 1) I got my first two Snorlax and my first Grimer, all caught in the wild, and all in places I'd often visited many times previously. I've been looking in vain for a Snorlax for all these months, and now I found two. Now if a Lapras would show up, I'd have all the ones I care about. I was actually wondering if they bumped up the rates on the more elusive spawns ahead of the Gen 2 release, to let people finish out the first part of the Pokedex. All that said, I'm not playing the way I was back in the warmer months.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 15, 2017 ---
    Ah, okay. I guess I used it mostly for podcasts (Overcast) and audiobooks (Audible), both good on long walks. Turning up the volume enough to listen to speech, and then having a Pokemon spawn take the top of your head off, was not a good experience. (In their other game, Ingress, one can set sounds and in-game background music to off/low/med/high - I really wish PoGo took this approach.)

24. iByron macrumors newbie

iByron

It's been pretty cold (global warming notwithstanding) here in the northern hemisphere. Even us diehards have to stay warm. It will pick up once the weather stabilizes in the warmer range.

25. mabok macrumors member

Pokemon > Pokemen for plural??
    Isn't Pokemon comes from the word Pocket Monster?