Pokémon Go Gaining Ability to Trade Pokémon With Nearby Friends This Week

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 18, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Two years after its release in the summer of 2016, Pokémon Go will officially add Pokémon trading between friends within the app later this week. The feature is coming via a new "Friends" area, allowing players to connect to real-life friends and trade Pokémon, keep track of their status in the game, and send them items and gifts.

Friends will now get "Trainer Codes" to share with one another, which can be entered to become friends in the app. Once you're friends with someone there are multiple actions you can perform to increase your Friendship Level, like sending them gifts or participating in raids and gym battles with them. As this level grows, bonuses can be unlocked when you play together, so "Great Friends" can gain in-battle advantages, like attack bonuses.

[​IMG]

Friendship Levels can be increased once per day per friend, and the new friend-based mechanics lead into the game's trading system. If you are near your friend (within 100 meters) and have reached a Trainer Level of 10 or higher, the game will let you trade Pokémon that you've caught. Trades cost Stardust, and Niantic says that once your Friendship Level increases players will be able to complete trades "with much less Stardust."

Special Pokémon like a legendary, shiny, or any Pokémon not in your Pokédex will have their own "Special Trade" rules: they can only occur once per day with a Great Friend or Best Friend, and cost "a lot of Stardust." Every trade also earns players bonus candy for the Pokémon that has been traded away, and the amount of candy increases if the Pokémon being traded were captured in regions far apart from each other.

Pokémon trading was one of the missing features of Pokémon Go that players asked for after the game launched in July 2016. Months later in early 2017, Niantic CEO John Hanke said that trading would be coming "soon." Speaking with The Verge, Niantic software engineer Kirsten Koa explained that the nearby trading mechanic has been a focus of development since the game launched: "We wanted to make sure we got this right... It took two years for us to build that feature -- that's how hard it was."

Article Link: Pokémon Go Gaining Ability to Trade Pokémon With Nearby Friends This Week

2. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

In before the “people still play this game?” Comments start even though millions still do.

3. cicalinarrot macrumors regular

cicalinarrot

I guess asking if Pokemon Go is still a thing is still a thing.

4. Antes macrumors newbie

5. davie18 macrumors 6502

Hmm I wonder where. Because I don’t know anybody at all who plays it in the UK. Nor have I seen anyone outside playing it in a very long time. This contrasts with when it came out you’d regularly see people all over London playing it.

Maybe it’s very popular in other parts of the world still but certainly not where I live in my experience.

6. lunarworks macrumors 68000

It's certainly not as popular as it was at one point, but I still spot people playing it daily.

A nearby church, which happens to be a Pokestop/Arena, even allowed a group of friends to setup a memorial on their lawn for an avid player who recently died.

7. Micool1 macrumors 6502

There are still a lot of people in my city playing this game, including myself. I'd say there must be over 1000 players still in here, and it's not an extremely big city.

8. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

This sounds like a pretty awesome feature, encouraging people to actually physically meet up with each other.

Sounds like it's the opposite of Snapchat. Instead of being something where you can trivially send someone a pointless picture of your wall and maintain a snap streak and feel like you're doing a good job socializing while actually doing nothing, you'll actually be socializing and meeting with your friends. Since you're already going through the effort of arranging to be in the same place at the same time, maybe you'll actually expand it into actually hanging out and doing other stuff, too.

Maybe I'll use it as an excuse to see my sister more. I feel like I haven't been seeing her enough over the past few years.

9. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502a

Judging from the reddit group I frequent, there's a nice sized community in the UK. You'd be surprised the player base that you don't notice everyday.

10. GadgetBen macrumors 65816

GadgetBen

11. dude-x macrumors regular

I still play this, and people in my small town still play this. Only reason I played because I was waiting for trading to be implemented. I have a lot of "wonderful" (high stats) pokemon. I am not a serious player, but I do try to get something every day.

My town is near a university so a lot of grad students play this game, as well as the young people.

12. Corsig macrumors regular

I still play everyday I only wish this came out before I had a full Pokédex

13. cicalinarrot macrumors regular

cicalinarrot

Some stats say 5 million people actively play it right now. Which means less than one person out of a thousand. So, it's not the huge launch number but still a significant one, even if it matches the possibility that you've never seen anyone playing recently.
    Long story short, your personal experience is not relevant.

14. whyamihere macrumors 6502

whyamihere

i would've stuck around for more than a few months if this had been around when it launched.

15. itsmilo macrumors 68030

itsmilo

There is a Event in Germany next month and literally every hotel in Dortmund and it’s nearby area is completely booked and yes even by people flying in from the UK judging by reddit

16. slimtastic Suspended

slimtastic

Would have been nice about ohhhh say 2 years ago :rolleyes::oops::eek:

17. honglong1976 macrumors 65816

honglong1976

Go to any park and you will see lots of people playing it.

I don’t see anyone playing football out of my window so that means no one plays football in the UK. Right?

Haha

18. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

19. gstevie macrumors 6502

gstevie

Meaning?

20. Return Zero macrumors 6502a

Return Zero

Yeah, this feature really needed to be included at launch. I might have stuck around for longer. The launch version ended up being a fairly lonely game with no trading or meaningful PvP.

21. gorkt macrumors 6502a

gorkt

I was really surprised to see how many people were playing on Community day this weekend in our town square. I think a lot of people dropped off, but there is still a dedicated fan base out there.

22. bLackjackj macrumors member

Does anyone still play this game? This game is so 2016, no longer relevant, yet the developer is trying to squeeze every dollar it can from this garbage.

Move on PGo..

23. Kaibelf Suspended

Kaibelf

I admit, I quit playing ages ago, and a large part of it was because of the lack of this feature, along with oddly limited options for variety. While I also know that millions still play this game, I wonder if they will really recoup many of the others who left due to the limitations. It just seemed odd that it wasn't in the initial release, and even more odd that after a year of people complaining there still hadn't been any movement on it. Now there's an option to build out the Pokedex, but it just has that feel of being a chore to get back into it.

24. expiredyogurt macrumors regular

expiredyogurt

so just get 1 rare mon and trade it among your friends everyday to get free candy. easy. non legendary mons like metagross / salamence / dragonite are easy preys then

25. Kaibelf Suspended

Kaibelf

Congrats, the very first comment in the thread was a nod to your post. That said, I can assume that this game is far more relevant than the app you have up on the store. What was it called again? And what makes it not "garbage?"