Pokémon Go Makes a Late Debut in South Korea

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Pokémon Go finally launched in South Korea today, almost six months after the popular game's initial launch.

Developers Niantic had to overcome some unique challenges to bring Pokémons to the hugely lucrative gaming market because of the way the game relies on Google Maps to work.

Those functions are limited by the government for national security reasons, because the country is technically at war with North Korea, so Niantic had to use publicly available data sources to fill in the gaps.

Last year, some fans of the augmented reality title travelled to Sokcho, close to the border with North Korea, because the city is not classified as South Korean territory in Google Maps, which allowed the game to be played there.

According to The Associate Press, dedicated tour and travel packages were created for gamers to stay in Sokcho, where local businesses and restaurants embraced Pokémon to appeal to gamers, whose annual average gaming spend is said to be the highest in the world.

Article Link: Pokémon Go Makes a Late Debut in South Korea

Telos101

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2016
Ireland
Reactions: scott911

Rian Gray

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2011
NJ, United States
And how many of them visit an American tech news website about Apple, a company that is very, very unpopular in South Korea?
Hello! A guy who lived in Korea here! I can tell you there are keen eyes set on MacRumors (mostly to catch new iPhone leaks and designs), at least that's how I first heard of MacRumors in the first place.

Sampple

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2012
Today it's 6 degrees F with ice still on the ground here in Seoul,
so maybe people can play under Gangnam station or at the giant COEX mall
where it's warm, but seems like poor choice for a launch day.

Sampple

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2012
Don't be ridiculous. This is an online tech site. Welcome to the global village!

Besides, Apple isn't quite as disliked in South Korea as you make out: http://www.forbes.com/sites/elaineramirez/2016/10/21/apples-iphone-7-causes-frenzy-in-south-korea-is-samsungs-hold-over-its-home-turf-in-jeopardy/#69582a267a01
YES!
Almost every Korean friend I have here in Seoul has iPhone, average ages run 25 to 45.
Most larger E-Marts have a mini Apple store.
The older 65+ crowd seems more into Samsung/LG.
On the bus I do see a lot of teens with mid ranger/entry level Samsung / LG devices.

Reactions: Telos101

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Oh my. MacRumors just HAD to cash in on whatever tiny popularity is left of this game.
It's still one of the most popular games in the world...
[doublepost=1485258446][/doublepost]
Hello! A guy who lived in Korea here! I can tell you there are keen eyes set on MacRumors (mostly to catch new iPhone leaks and designs), at least that's how I first heard of MacRumors in the first place.
And, of course, because of astroturfing
[doublepost=1485258671][/doublepost]
Tiny popularity? South Korea has 25 million hardcore gamers. Did you read the last paragraph?
In his defense, this isn't a game for hardcore gamers. However, South Korea has tons of the exact type of gamers that love this game, and they'll probably go nuts for it.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Oh nice, I've got a work trip out there next month.

I've recently started playing this game again. I don't think winter helped much, and even now I'm just walking around hatching and gathering with it in a coat pocket rather than playing it directly. But hey it's still fun. Can't wait for Spring and hopefully some more gen 2 Pokemon.

Similarly I recently finished Pokemon Sun and I'm on my way to completing the pokedex. What a wonderful series this is!