'Pokémon GO' Officially Coming to Apple Watch With New App

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 7, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple and Niantic Labs today announced that an app for the popular Pokémon Go iOS game is coming to Apple Watch.

[​IMG]

The app will notify users when wild Pokémon appear, show information about their hatching eggs, and even alert when a Pokéstop is near.

Article Link: 'Pokémon GO' Officially Coming to Apple Watch With New App

2. chriscrk macrumors 6502a

chriscrk

Will you have to start a work out or leave the app open every time you want it to add KM's to the egg hatching though? It'd be cool if it was just automatic every time I go for a walk, instead of having to start it up.

But still cool!

3. Return Zero macrumors 6502a

Return Zero

This is a great merger between working out and playing games. I love the idea and can't wait to try it out.

4. Mercifull macrumors regular

Mercifull

Most exciting announcement of the keynote.

5. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Amazing unfortunately by end of year I'll be done I'm already at 136 out of 142 available now.

6. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

You probably have to start a Poke-workout. Otherwise I don't see how it would not kill the battery touching the GPS constanting.

7. Shaun, UK Suspended

Shaun, UK

8. Val-kyrie macrumors 68000

Isn't Apple late to the party? I thought the Pokemon Go craze died out after the developers changed some of the gameplay mechanics.

9. CarlJ macrumors 68030

CarlJ

Late perhaps. The craze (as in thousands of people in every park) has died down, but there's still tens of millions playing - any other game maker would kill for that kind of usage. And despite various conspiracy theories that went around, they cut back some features that weren't working right, 100% of the time. Probably will return at some point.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 7, 2016 ---
    If a Snorlax had showed up non-scripted, during the demo, I'd have probably said, "uh, wait a moment while I catch this." Still want one.

10. 0958400 Suspended

Sorry, but at that point, I felt lost. I guess I'm not the target group anymore. Oh well, teenagers must have money to pay for Apple products these days...

11. MVallee macrumors 6502a

MVallee

So excited for this! I always use my Apple Watch to track my walks/runs but I'm glad it will count towards my Pokemon Go progress now.

12. chriscrk macrumors 6502a

chriscrk

Oh, do you think this will only be available for Apple Watch 2 users? :(

13. Speedy Dingo macrumors regular

Speedy Dingo

Not all Pokemon players are kids or teenagers. Some of us were quite young when the game originally released, so you know, nostalgia. I'm guessing you don't like kids stepping on your lawn? ;)

14. mattan_lines macrumors member

mattan_lines

I thought that this would be such a cool thing to do before I even saw the Niantic's Pokemon Go Plus band thingie. I'm so glad to see that they've made an Apple Watch version.

However, I'm seriously hoping that this isn't just for Apple Watch Series 2 users... I don't plan on buying a new Apple Watch anytime soon.

Another concern of mine is that the Apple Watch can track your workouts using a pedometer to track how far you've walked, so you can still use a treadmill at home and have it log distance. However, would this work the same for the Pokémon Go Apple Watch workouts? Because Pokémon Go uses both GPS AND the Pedometer to hatch your eggs... So which will it use? Apple's version of exercise (which is way easier to fake) or Niantic's (which will effect a large group of people that mainly do their exercises at home)?

15. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

No, I mean that it would kill the phone's battery. I've never seen anything kill a phone's battery faster than Pokemon Go.

16. 0958400 Suspended

Oh God, now I feel even older. :) Lawn? Balcony! :D

17. caipirina08 macrumors member

hmm .. they say later this year?

I kinda gave up on the game 2 weeks ago at lvl18 ... just did not see the point anymore :) Still do tons of walking though