Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Crashing into cars, getting robbed by someone, probably raped too.

All of those things happen to people NOT playing the game too.

Every moment of your life there is a statistically improbable possibility of tragedy. Humans were built with the mental capability to ignore these statistically unlikely events and continue to live our lives.

While you're sitting at home fearing for your life... the rest of us will actually be living ours.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

P.s. so before this game there was no reason to go outside? ways people rationalize amaze me.

Think it through ......just a little here .... Before this game , addicted game players were outside ? Do tell....
[doublepost=1469214815][/doublepost]
Socializing? funny.

Foreign concept to you ? Try Pokemon..... ;)

John Mcgregor

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Newport
All of those things happen to people NOT playing the game too.

Every moment of your life there is a statistically improbable possibility of tragedy. Humans were built with the mental capability to ignore these statistically unlikely events and continue to live our lives.

While you're sitting at home fearing for your life... the rest of us will actually be living ours.

Really? I live my life just fine and i don't need GPS in my watch to run or a game to go outside. This is what normal people do. People like you on the other hand ratiolize and think of ways hows it has changed their lives when in reality those lives could be changed if there was will to do so in the first place.

coolsean20

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2014
I wonder why Apple doesn't feature it on the front page of the App Store. Pokemon GO is nowhere to be seen except when you go to the Top Charts for free apps or go to Categories.

Usually they're pretty quick to highlight new games that people are playing.
I think it's because niantic is owned by Google. Apple does not like Google

John Mcgregor

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Newport
Think it through ......just a little here .... Before this game , addicted game players were outside ? Do tell....
[doublepost=1469214815][/doublepost]

Foreign concept to you ? Try Pokemon..... ;)
When i feel like standing in a crowd while staring at my phone i will do so. Socializing ...

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
On the instant success of Pokémon Go, Nintendo shares jumped more than 25 percent...

Over the course of the next year, Apple could make upwards of $3 billion in revenue from Pokémon Go, as it receives a 30 percent cut of all in-app purchases.
...causing Apple shares to drop more than 25 percent.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
This is a sad commentary on our species.
Sad commentary? That people are excited by something new (that in some cases, reminds them of childhood)? That they're getting up and going outside? That they're bumping into new and different people and chatting with them? Or just that a lot of people are enjoying something that you personally don't enjoy? Let them have their fun.

Reactions: ErikGrim and tk421

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Really? I live my life just fine and i don't need GPS in my watch to run or a game to go outside. This is what normal people do. People like you on the other hand ratiolize and think of ways hows it has changed their lives when in reality those lives could be changed if there was will to do so in the first place.

Rationalize what? I never attempted to "rationalize" Pokemon Go. It's just a game... it doesn't need to be rational... only fun (which is definitely subjective and therefore some people won't enjoy it).

Based on your comments I was under the impression that you thought the tiny probability of tragedy should be enough reason avoid something in life. Ultimately, this led me to the belief that you probably don't have a healthy life yourself. Certainly riding in any car, biking to work, or turning the oven on are more dangerous than walking around looking for Pokemon.

If, in fact, you live a healthy life, ignoring these statistically unlikely events (like all rational people do) then you've invalidated your own argument against Pokemon Go (and shown yourself to be nothing more than a troll).

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA

P.s. so before this game there was no reason to go outside? ways people rationalize amaze me.
So before this game came out, no cars were crashing and nobody was getting robbed or raped? In that case, you're right we should definitely shut this down right now!

Reactions: friedmud

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
So, for those of you who played the original Red/Blue games on the Gameboy — which Pokémon did you choose as your starter? Would you mix it up, or always go for the same one?

Cineplex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2016
These people are just defending the game with insane rationalizations. It's like when some rich guy looses his money/job and tells the wife the $80,000 BMW she drives has to go and it will be traded in for a Chevy. First thing she will say ... "you know how safe it makes me feel, don't you want me to be safe?" . Is the BMW more safe than a Chevy? No. Just insane rationalizations.

Pretty sad if you need a phone to give you a reason to go outside. Put the #### phone down and live your life!!!!

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Reactions: CarlJ

iamgalt

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
Gulping clean air, meeting new people, and having fun? I don't play it myself, nor have any desire to. But in this modern technological era, it's refreshing to see.

You'll be happier if you see the more positive side of things, I think :)

I'm all for going outside and getting clean air, but I don't think there's as much socializing as people think. I've seen people playing this and they're walking around with their face glued to their screen as much (if not more) than before; to the point of causing harm to themselves and other people. I feel the amount of time people spend on FB, Twitter, etc. is just as sad.

http://www.cartelpress.com/pokemon-go-major-highway-accident-man-stops-middle-highway-catch-pikachu/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/gaming/2016/07/21/bad-and-ugly-pokmon-go/87378730/

John Mcgregor

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Newport
These people are just defending the game with insane rationalizations. It's like when some rich guy looses his money/job and tells the wife the $80,000 BMW she drives has to go and it will be traded in for a Chevy. First thing she will say ... "you know how safe it makes me feel, don't you want me to be safe?" . Is the BMW more safe than a Chevy? No. Just insane rationalizations.

Pretty sad if you need a phone to give you a reason to go outside. Put the #### phone down and live your life!!!!

After 8 and weekends my phone is turned off. Helps when i want to really socialize.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
One easter egg in the game: if you walk away from the three starter Pokemon that are presented to you (you have to do it four times) Pikachu will ultimately appear as a starter: http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/8/12131242/pokemon-go-how-to-get-pikachu-starter-guide

Oh, yeah — I don't play the 'Go' version. Was just making idle conversation for nostalgia! Hopefully it's better than the alternative that's starting to going on in this thread. :D

I was always a Charmander sort of guy, but it meant the first two gyms were bitterly difficult. There was always one person who picked Bulbasaur. Noobasaur, we always used to call it. Well, we would have, had 'noob' been a phrase in our venacular.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005

Actually, the BMW could very well be safer than the Chevy. Rationalizations go the other way, too. :)

I don't play the game anymore, but why does this have to be black/white to you? It's not as if most people never saw the light of day and never socialized outside before Pokemon Go came along.

Reactions: friedmud and MH01

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I wonder why Apple doesn't feature it on the front page of the App Store. Pokemon GO is nowhere to be seen except when you go to the Top Charts for free apps or go to Categories.

Usually they're pretty quick to highlight new games that people are playing.

Niantic, the developers that made Pokemon Go, are a spin-off from Google that are still majority owned by Google. Nintendo also owns a large portion of them.

Google makes Android, which is a massive competitor to iOS.
Nintendo makes the 3DS, which is a competitor to the iPod Touch.

It's thought that the fact that Apple is rivals with the two companies that stand to gain the most from Pokemon GO is why Apple isn't promoting the game.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I'm all for going outside and getting clean air, but I don't think there's as much socializing as people think. I've seen people playing this and they're walking around with their face glued to their screen as much (if not more) than before; to the point of causing harm to themselves and other people. I feel the amount of time people spend on FB, Twitter, etc. is just as sad.

http://www.cartelpress.com/pokemon-go-major-highway-accident-man-stops-middle-highway-catch-pikachu/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/gaming/2016/07/21/bad-and-ugly-pokmon-go/87378730/
And this is significantly different than riding around in your car with the radio on how?

Ignoring the statistical insignificance of your impression from your limited observation.

Reactions: CarlJ

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

You know the best part of This thread and every Pokemon thread, that has me grabbing my popcorn and having a laugh....

The complete and utter hypocrisy of apple apologists on MR who defend apple with insane rationalisations but accuse others of doing the same when it comes to Pokemon....

Love your quote..... Can be applied to every thread..... Lol

"These people are defending the game with insane rationalisations"

####### your debating this on an Internet thread....live your life #####

Reactions: applesith

KagatoAlpha

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2015
So, for those of you who played the original Red/Blue games on the Gameboy — which Pokémon did you choose as your starter? Would you mix it up, or always go for the same one?

I had Pokemon Blue, and my brother Pokemon Red. We both started with the respective starters of the game (Squirtle for me, Charmander for my brother). Im not sure what my brother started with in Pokemon Go, but I went back to Squirtle!

Reactions: keysofanxiety
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.