Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Niantic on Tuesday announced that Pokémon GO will require an iPhone or iPad capable of running iOS 11 or later at the end of February.

pokemon-go-arkit-800x746.jpg

The company plans to release an update for Pokémon GO around February 28, 2018 that will end support for older iPhone and iPad models incapable of updating to iOS 11, including the iPhone 5 and iPhone 5c.

The complete list of affected devices, released between 2011 and 2013:iPhone 5
iPhone 5c
iPad (4th generation)
iPad (3rd generation)
iPad mini (1st generation)
iPad 2After that date, players may no longer be able to access their Pokémon GO accounts on affected devices, or use their PokéCoins or other items in their bags. They will need to switch to a supported device to continue playing the game.

More specifically, players who attempt to access Pokémon GO using any of the devices listed above will no longer be able to sign in and will see a message stating that they need to switch to a supported device, suggesting server-side changes.

Niantic said the change is a result of improvements to Pokémon GO that push the game beyond the capabilities of previous iOS versions, likely including a new AR+ mode based on Apple's ARKit for iPhone 6s and newer.

Article Link: Pokémon GO Soon Won't Support iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, and Some Older iPads

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

Niantic on Tuesday announced that Pokémon GO will require a device running iOS 11 or later at the end of February.

pokemon-go-arkit-800x746.jpg

The company plans to release an update for Pokémon GO around February 28, 2018 that will end support for older iPhone and iPad models incapable of updating to iOS 11, including the iPhone 5 and iPhone 5c.

The complete list of affected devices, released between 2011 and 2013:iPhone 5
iPhone 5c
iPad (4th generation)
iPad (3rd generation)
iPad mini (1st generation)
iPad 2After that date, players may no longer be able to access their Pokémon GO accounts on affected devices, or use their PokéCoins or other items in their bags. They will need to switch to a supported device to continue playing the game.

More specifically, players who attempt to access Pokémon GO using any of the devices listed above will no longer be able to sign in and will see a message stating that they need to switch to a supported device, suggesting server-side changes.

Niantic said the change is a result of improvements to Pokémon GO that push the game beyond the capabilities of previous iOS versions, likely including a new AR+ mode based on Apple's ARKit for iPhone 6s and newer.

Article Link: Pokémon GO Will Soon Require iOS 11
Incorrect title. They are not requiring iOS 11. They are requiring iOS 11 capable devices. i.e 5s and newer. They are dropping support for 32-bit. iOS 11 is not required.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
I don't have this app but I hate when companies do this in general.

They should simply push out new app features to those who want to update and leave those who like the old version which worked just fine alone.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

They should simply push out new app features to those who want to update and leave those who like the old version which worked just fine alone.
They aren’t actually requiring iOS 11. They are weeding out older devices that aren’t 64-bit so they can remove that code and focus on improving the performance for newer devices.

It’s pretty straightforward in the announcement last night, but this post leaves that out.

“This change is a result of improvements to Pokémon GO that push the application beyond the capabilities of the operating systems on such devices.”

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
They aren’t actually requiring iOS 11. They are weeding out older devices that aren’t 64-bit so they can remove that code and focus on improving the performance for newer devices.

It’s pretty straightforward in the announcement last night, but this post leaves that out.

“This change is a result of improvements to Pokémon GO that push the application beyond the capabilities of the operating systems on such devices.”

While I could understand cutting out the 32-bit code and only having future updates for 64-bit devices... intentionally blocking people on 32-bit devices, who previously had a working app just the day before, seems pretty heavy handed and not as consumer friendly as I would like.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
While I could understand cutting out the 32-bit code and only having future updates for 64-bit devices... intentionally blocking people on 32-bit devices, who previously had a working app just the day before, seems pretty heavy handed and not as consumer friendly as I would like.
Apple no longer supports any 32-bit device. The iPhone 5 will be 6 years old this year.

The reason why niantic forces updates is to combat spoofing and scanners. If they leave the old API active, then people can cheat more easily.

They are also giving a 7 week notice. That’s a lot of time.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX

I hope I don't regret posting in here because I don't do anything with Pokemon and I'll get tons of notifications...

But I believe a lot of it has to do with it being an online connected app that also has to interface with servers and things. And once you start breaking off a section and have different versions of the app out there, down the road, there may be issues. I play Star Wars Commander and it won't even let you start the app if there's an update to it, because the servers and everyone else on your squad depend on everyone being at the same version.

It would be different if this was a Podcast app or IMDb. It's basically just pulling data from the cloud, not interacting with it.

Reactions: FightTheFuture

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar

In theory what you said sounds like a solution, but in the real world it just doesn't work like that when it comes to software development. Trying to support older technology and requiring multiple code bases that all have to interact with each other gets really ugly really quick. Niantic is doing the right thing even if from a consumer standpoint it doesn't seem like the right thing.

The truth is most people have a newer device, so it's not a huge amount of users that have to worry. The goal is keeping the user experience improving and they can only do it by abandoning legacy hardware.

Reactions: OldSchoolMacGuy

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
In theory what you said sounds like a solution, but in the real world it just doesn't work like that when it comes to software development. Trying to support older technology and requiring multiple code bases that all have to interact with each other gets really ugly really quick. Niantic is doing the right thing even if from a consumer standpoint it doesn't seem like the right thing.

The truth is most people have a newer device, so it's not a huge amount of users that have to worry. The goal is keeping the user experience improving and they can only do it by abandoning legacy hardware.

True. I'm sure they are able to tell what percent of their devices aren't able to upgrade to iOS 11 and how many are active users. They are not going to alienate 75% of their users just to make their job a little easier.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Well then it’s settled for me I guess. I’ll be upgrading to an IPhone 8 and handing my 6 down to my son, seemingly within the next month. Ha.

He’s using my old 5 currently, and losing access to Pokémon wouldn’t be fair to him.
Nice Parent of the year award for you! I started playing with my niece and nephew and their parents absolutely hate it.. All they talk about is Pokemon, but hey, they are kids. When I was their age, all I wanted to do was play Pokemon on my gameboy color.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016

They’re dropping 32 bit support. That’s a good thing.
[doublepost=1515598990][/doublepost]
They means maintaining two code bases which adds costs and can lead to more bugs...
This

Reactions: TrowaNY

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
Darn. The sacrifices we have to make!
Isn't it the worst? I’m just glad I don’t have to upgrade to the X.

Nice Parent of the year award for you! I started playing with my niece and nephew and their parents absolutely hate it.. All they talk about is Pokemon, but hey, they are kids. When I was their age, all I wanted to do was play Pokemon on my gameboy color.
Why thank you! He’s 8, and works hard to deserve his phone. I know I’d have been more than mad if my GBC didn’t support gold/silver when they came out, so I just can’t let that happen to him.

Reactions: Mlrollin91

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008

That's not how the App Store is setup to work. A developer would have to launch an entirely different app in order to do what you're asking. The problem is that of the millions of current users, a good percentage wouldn't be aware of the change and make the jump to the new app. That means losing a lot of users.

Upgrading the existing app and pushing out older devices is a far better strategy as those with older devices are far less than the number of people who would be lost in a transition to a new app.

Reactions: linkmaster02

groove-agent

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2006
Besides Apple doesn’t want you to wait 6 years to upgrade the iPhone, they want you to upgrade as soon as your battery gets old. ;D.

Too soon?

Apple no longer supports any 32-bit device. The iPhone 5 will be 6 years old this year.

The reason why niantic forces updates is to combat spoofing and scanners. If they leave the old API active, then people can cheat more easily.

They are also giving a 7 week notice. That’s a lot of time.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Most people are spoofing nowadays. Playing from the comfort of their couch
Most? I wouldn’t go that far. A good number of people, yes. But most is definitely not true. In my area we have about 1000 legit players and a handful of spoofers.

Though that may be anecdotal of my area, I’m in contact with people around the country, and spoofing usually isn’t a big problem. Just a nuisance.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Most? I wouldn’t go that far. A good number of people, yes. But most is definitely not true. In my area, we have about 1000 legit players and a handful of spoofers.

Dunno just going by what i witnessed. Friend and I are going to a raid in the city and usually by the time the counter drops to 10 seconds on a level 5 raid the gym is filled with 20 ppl yet no one but us is around.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Dunno just going by what i witnessed. Friend and I are going to a raid in the city and usually by the time the counter drops to 10 seconds on a level 5 raid the gym is filled with 20 ppl yet no one but us is around.
Makes sense then. Big cities attract spoofers. But regulars cities usually only have a couple here and there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.