Pokemon Go a clue to 2016 election?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Oct 28, 2016.

1. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Why can't it just be simple like preferring Democratic view of policy, or Republican ones? Does not one look at issues?

2. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Because both parties like to toe the line. Especially voting records - here's one example:

http://www.ontheissues.org/SenateVote/Party_2005-63.htm
    (even anti-H1B folk like Grassley still toed the line for that welfare giveaway to the rich.)

Or if real discussion scares them too much? (In real life, people seem to shy away... in social media like facebook, some people often manage to make cockroaches look more evolved.)

But look at the debates for inspiration or the antithesis of. Look at what neither discussed. People should know quite a few items off the top of their heads. How long of a list can people make? I know of two issues off the top of my head, though one can arguably be included in one of the issues that was discussed.

While there was some discussion (Hillary scored on healthcare, Trump managed to score on every other issue brought up regarding the middle class since his talk on healthcare reform has quickly been denounced as more giveaways to the rich) but it ended up being largely a devolved mess about peoples' personal lives and I don't mean Clinton's speech about having public and personal policy positions (assuming the wikileak was correct, though to this day nothing was refuted, and only a couple days ago did someone finally say it's false. Took long enough... but that's okay. All the people claiming Trump groped them spent far more time not saying anything and that's entirely accepted.)

3. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Point taken. We live in an infotainment age. The guts of what's wrong with education or housing policy = eye glaze.

Still the bottom line really is policy, and as even the conservative National Review has pointed out, the blue wave cometh... and the GOP is still woefully not getting down with appealing to a broader demographic. This was the year for the GOP to have scooped up some Hispanics to fend off impending pale blue waves that are now thanks to Trump already encroaching at faster rates in the likes of AZ, NV, NC... and turning even Georgia a paler shade of red.

Trump's managed to set back the GOP's plans for so long into the future at this point that simple demographic trends already irrevocably in place mean they're probably finished as a party, even if next year they could regroup into a party with one mission and one message: offering a bigger tent. That big tent is very unlikely since the GOP civil war's in full plumage right now. I mean when was the last time you saw a Presidential candidate disrespecting his party's banner, and so many of that party disavowing his candidacy?!