Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jphbaerv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
Hi there,

Has anyone of you tried to use Uplink with your polar heart rate monitor, by means of Wine?

I don't want to use WinBlows anymore, to want to use the fake mac software for Mac or virtual machine. I want to use Wine...

Just curious if anyone has tried before...

Best regards,

Joost

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Hi there,

Has anyone of you tried to use Uplink with your polar heart rate monitor, by means of Wine?

I don't want to use WinBlows anymore, to want to use the fake mac software for Mac or virtual machine. I want to use Wine...

Just curious if anyone has tried before...

Best regards,

Joost

Well I don't have an answer but that IS an interesting question. :rolleyes:

jphbaerv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
It sure is...

Off course I can buy another brand. A no-Polar. But I need a Polar to proper correspond with the machines I use at the fitness centre.

:eek:

Eberlingc

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2007
Have you looked at using SportsTracker

I just downloaded it, and as of yet, havent gotten it to work, but I suspect that is more because I dont seem to know how to run JAR files locally then I think it has anything to do with the software. It claims to work with a lot of Polar watches and our beloved Mac's. In addition there is another tool called iSmart Train, but it didnt support my model the RS400. If you try either out let me know how it goes!

Carl

heyrsmith

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2007
Polar + iSmartTrain

I have been using iSmartTrain for bout a year and a half and like it quite a bit. While it does not support all heart rate monitors, it does support quite a few, including many polar models. The beta version supports many more than the regualr version, and should be near a final release - I have begun to use the beta exclusively. The best thing is that it runs natively on a mac - you can download it for free and give it a shot.

One caveat is that if your Polar unit uses IRDA to communicate with your computer, you will have to find a Polar serial IR unit and use a serial to usb adapter (I use the keyspan 19HS with up-to-date drivers) for it to work. Seems our happy little macs are not all that interested in supporting the USB/IRDA interface any more.... While I have not checked it out personally, I imagine that this might make SportsTracker a no-go even if you do get it work on a mac.

If your device uses sonic link then you are good to go with iSmartTrain right out of the box, no need for the Serial to USB adapter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.