Police: 8-year-old charged in beating death of 1-year-old

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Nov 10, 2015.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://news.yahoo.com/police-8-old-charged-beating-death-1-old-202719141.html

who the hell leaves an 8 y/o child in charge?

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

[​IMG]
    They should also charge the man who agreed to procreate with her ... If they can find him.

I also think that they should not charge the 8 year old. He is only a small child and was probably overwhelmed and severly neglected!

4. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Yeah seriously...there are several things that happen in someones mind before arriving at "im going to beat a 1 year old to have them stop crying"

5. sim667 macrumors 65816

Why?

What if he isn't around, and wasn't involved in any of the decision making process?

I get the notion that this comment is actually just thinly veiled racist comment about absent black fathers?

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

That's racist!

7. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Not racist at all. Here in the US it's well known that single parent homes are a problem in the black community.

8. sim667, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015

sim667 macrumors 65816

I was asking you if thats what you meant....... it certainly sounded like it...... If not do you care to explain what you meant by "If they can find him"?

Anyone with half a brain knows thats exactly what you meant, even if its just a statement to kick the hornets nest again.

Source?

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

If anything the kid should not be charged and I am glad the mom was.

10. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

11. samiwas macrumors 65816

So, what crime would you charge the father with? And how far would you be willing to go with charging fathers who are no longer a part of someone's life to be charged with crimes committed by their offspring years later?

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I wonder....could families being torn apart have anything to do with the police state and mass incarceration? Naaaaah, it's way easier to just condemn people for "moral failings" instead of focusing on a the results of systemic targeting of black Americans.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well....we do kill family members (kids) in the Middle East under the guise of "he should have had a better father."

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...the-killing-of-a-16-year-old-american/264028/

So who knows, anything goes in this Wild West version of America.

14. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I wouldn't and wasn't implying one would. Simply pointing out a statistic.

More supporting data:

http://www.commdiginews.com/life/st...ge-of-the-one-parent-fatherless-family-17573/

15. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

If people put themselves in the position of being incarcerated then that's on them. You can't be a target if you're not on the playing field. Message to people everywhere.....stay off the playing field of games that could put you in jail.

People need to stop playing the victim card. It's insulting to them really. Accountability and again, look in the freaking mirror.

http://www.commdiginews.com/life/st...ge-of-the-one-parent-fatherless-family-17573/

Sources are cited if you care to investigate.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You really have no idea what's going on in the world do you?

17. sim667 macrumors 65816

Discussing this issue needs to be treated with caution, from what I can tell it seems to be accepted that proportionally there is a higher number of single parent families in the American African community, however there is a larger actual number of single parent children in non hispanic white America.

However I guess the value of this kind of depends on how much value the notion of having a two parent family is, I would strongly argue that there are single parent families that work very hard to raise their children, and do a better job of it of two parent families..... and I don't think single parent families are the root of all evil, there are some people who I imagine will.

(not suggesting thats you btw, just a general statement).

18. sim667 macrumors 65816

I think you've got @pdggp and @Meister 's statements mixed up.

19. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

why don't you edit such a dumb comment and actually add something tangible to discuss.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I don't think I can edit anything that's going to get you to not view this as a moral issue when the evidence is plain as day that police forces in the USA are targeting people when no crimes are being committed. Riker's is a de facto debtors prison right now, but you'd just say that these people should just magically have the money to post bail right?

21. samiwas macrumors 65816

Indeed, although it originally sounded like he was supporting Meister's quote, something I'm not sure why anyone would do.

Do you not believe that blacks end up in jail more often for the same offenses in which a white would be let go?

22. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Like you I read about talk like that I see the same stats and overall really don't believe that's the cause of the issue at hand regardless of how your point swings.

I tend to back up and say the real issue is people, both black and white, putting themselves in those positions to begin with. Fix that and the issue you're bringing up has far less if any impact. That means people not just blacks, but the numbers don't lie and tell a lot, need to stay the heck out of trouble.

People need to stay involved with their kids, don't let them roam the streets, keep them away from gang life, help them decide gang life isn't for them, don't have kids you can't support, stay off drug, study in school, get a job, be productive and once and for all quit playing the role of a victim because if you do, then you are and it's your choice.

Gov't isn't going to fix the social issues like the above. Only the people can do that. Take back their cities, police themselves to be productive citizens and good parents and stay on the path of a being a good role model.

23. samiwas macrumors 65816

I agree with all of that. But if two kids commit the same crime (which is just a plain reality, whether or not they "should" be doing it), and one of them is white and one of them is black, and the white kid is told to just go home, while the black kid is handcuffed and thrown into the back of a car, that's a problem in and of itself. And when it happens often enough, it breeds contempt and anger and brings down communities. It's one thing to be a caught when you've committed a crime, it's another altogether when you are treated vastly differently from someone else because of your skin color, and saying "well, just don't get in trouble int he first place" is a good place to start, but it doesn't fix the other side of the issue.

24. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Can you source your claims?

25. pdqgp, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015

pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Fix the problem at the beginning resolves most of the other issues at the other end and benefits all much more. I stand by my answer that if you stay the F out of trouble then you really don't have to worry about anything else and it will reduce the number of instances you're referencing just the same but with much better overall impact for everyone and fix the problem a the source.

We can't as a society even fix that. Mainly because is comes from within and requires people look in a mirror and be accountable. So instead we dick around worrying about the tail end of the problem. It's like pulling weeds from your lawn without the roots. They will just come back. Pretty simple. Whatever though, until we fix that, I suppose the issues will continue.

People who enjoy being victims will always find a way or something to complain about. The rest will excel and move ahead. Such is life and no surprise. In the meantime the solution sits right in front of them. Until THEY decide to fix THEMSELVES, the world will continue on around them. Not everyone wants the opportunity to succeed and that's what we're seeing.