Police aAnd Speeding

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LumbermanSVO, Oct 12, 2014.

1. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

2. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

The sad fact is almost all police speed(without lights, etc.) wether in their police cars or in their private cars! Yea I know the smug driving Souther Dad would never speed or use his badge to get out of slow driving tickets! :p

4. Southern Dad, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2014

Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

It's called "flashing tin" and I've actually never had occasion to do it. I truly drive the speed limit or within 5 miles of it. The last time that I got a ticket was a long time ago, it was driving through the gore. You know how sometimes you jump in that turn lane, really early? Well, that's not a good idea if there are diagonal lines across it and an officer coming toward you.

5. LumbermanSVO thread starter macrumors 65816

So you agree that these cops should have been given tickets?

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You're back with a vengeance.

But could you dial it back a bit?

You have far more to contribute than just vitriol.

7. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Have you ever been detained?

8. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Absolutely. At a minimum they should get a reprimand put in their files. But truthfully, they should have been stopped and ticketed. However, that really isn't done. Even if the officer had pulled them over and issued them tickets, they would have gotten them dismissed before court. I'm not excusing it or saying that it is right, but it takes a lot of temerity to stop a marked patrol car and issue a ticket.

If every citizen with a dash cam, or iPhone were to record this kind of behavior, it would stop. There is a railroad crossing near my home that is very close to the detention center. Patrol cars from three towns, the county and state troopers pass by it frequently.

For a long time, no officers were stopping there. These tracks are not used but still have the stop sign because they are not technically "out of service", however the business they go to is long closed. Someone parked in the scrap yard and recorded many officers not stopping there. It got brought up in a city meeting. Now, I'm not saying that they all come to a complete stop, but unless those blues are flashing, there's certainly some braking going on. Citizens can make a difference.

9. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

don't we already have a thread about "Officer Chooses Not To Enforce the Law" ? :p

When it comes to the public's view of the police, I suspect events such as mentioned in the OP of this thread have a far far greater negative impact than the police realize.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Why not keep to the speed limit instead?

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Honestly, I couldn't care less to see a cop speed (within reason, of course).

Here's an analogy ...

It's like seeing poor people buy steak in the supermarket with food stamps.

I don't know their circumstances. Maybe it's somebody's birthday or anniversary. Maybe they just got a new job. Maybe they just like to spend their food money on steak.

Whatever the case, they live on food stamps. Their life sucks enough already. Feeling disdain over their questionable shopping choices isn't necessary, and demeans me because I'm so petty to care about it.

Likewise, I don't know the circumstances that led that cop to speed. Maybe it's a service call. Maybe he's late for his kid's recital. Or maybe he just likes to go fast.

Whatever the case, they're cops. Their life sucks enough already. Feeling disdain over their questionable driving habits isn't necessary, and demeans me because I'm so petty to care about it.

12. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

In this case we do know the cause. You can listen to the audio and you will hear that they were heading to a training. Not really a reason to go 20 miles over the posted speed limit.

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

As an occupant on the road, I wouldn't care.

Cops get to speed a little in my book.

It's one little perk in a really sucky job.

14. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that what they have lights and sirens for?

I do think they should get a ticket for not using them.

15. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Having lights and sirens doesn't give you permission to disobey the law when not using those lights to get to an emergency. These officers were actually passing through a jurisdiction to get to a training. I'm sorry, but while it is routinely done, it still isn't right.

Speed limits are posted for a reason. When you are sworn to uphold the law, it's kind of hard to do if you are the one breaking it.

16. pdjudd macrumors 601

It isn’t a “perk”. They are breaking the law and should be charged as such. If anything, we should hold cops to a higher standard since they know better. If they cannot obey the law, they shouldn’t be enforcing it. The law applies to everybody.

17. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

I hate to get into this one, but here goes.

On a LEO forum there was discussion of a FL muni officer being pulled over and ticketed for doing 105 in a 60 POV by a FL trooper. The truly sad part is that most of the cops posting, especially the NYPDers, were dead set against this cop being ticketed much less pulled over. The NYPDers general feeling was that they wouldn't have ticketed him because he was a cop.

On the other hand, my aunt (who was a deputy sheriff) told me that one Friday she was riding with another deputy (in a marked cruiser complete with lightbar) to do a transfer. After the transfer was done they headed home which was a couple hours away so the driving deputy put his foot into the accelerator. A few miles down the road he was pulled over by a VA trooper ...

18. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Thats what I'm saying they should be using lights and sirens when going faster then speed limit

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Nailed it. I can understand if they need to put the pedal to the metal to answer a call. They'll have their blue lights flaring, and the sirens screaming, letting everyone know to get the hell out of the way, they've got some place to be.

It's when they're on a beat, running red lights, and going 20 miles over with their blue lights off, doing nothing more important than going from point A to B that pisses me off. They're putting people in danger, running red lights and generally not following any traffic laws just because they know they can't be held accountable for anything. At least not until they cause a massive wreck, and hurt or kill a few people.

20. pdjudd macrumors 601

They should only be using their sirens and lights when they are doing their job (pursuing someone). Not to get to training that they are late for. The lights and sirens are not intended for the cops to use them under the confines of their job. Speeding to get to training doesn’t qualify in my book.

Again. How can we take the cops seriously about enforcing the law when they operate as if they are immune to it?

21. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

22. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Yeah that can only come after we establish to speed you need lights and sirens.

23. pdjudd macrumors 601

Yes. There are certain circumstances where speeding is allowed and they should require the usage of lights and sirens. But what these cops did would not justify their usage. They shouldn’t have been speeding period. They are used for real parts of doing their job.

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If I can't go 20 over because it's dangerous, then they can't go 20 over because it's dangerous. There's nothing about being a cop that suddenly makes exceeding the speed limit by that much safe. They put their lives and the lives of everyone else sharing the road with them at risk.

25. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

This is very true. If you listen to the audio even the radio traffic between the airborne spotter and the trooper talk about this.